Quick Question Thread

So far,(if I remember correctly) and in no particular order, there is mitochondrion, rusticyanin, toxin vacuole, vacuole, chemoplast, cytoplasm, chloroplast, thermoplast ,flagellum, and nucleus. Cilia, predatory pilus, and bioluminescent vacuole are all planned. I’m probably missing something

Oh, awesome, thank you so much.

Can I ask what some of those do?

Also, are cnidae planned (the organelle that makes cnidarian stinging cells possible)? They could be useful as an attack organelle in Microbial stage, or could be used in Multicellular stage to make specialized stinging cells

For the Cnidae thing, I don’t know, but mitochondria respirate, thermoplastic, produce energy through heat, chloroplasts use photosynthesis, vacuoles are storage, toxin vacuoles make and shoot toxins, and cytoplasm is the innards of the cell(don’t take my word for it)

Ohh, thermoplasts are awesome. Can’t wait for that

There are also prokaryotic versions of most of the organelles. Things like a metabolosome is a prokaryotic version of the mitochondrion.

I’ll let someone else dig up the names for those.

Organelles currently in the game:

-Structural Organelles: Cytoplasm (the most basic part of a cell. provides structure to the cell. converts a tiny bit of glucose to ATP and stores a small handful of compounds).

-Prokaryotic Structures: Metabolosomes (respires oxygen), Thylakoid (called chromatophores in the current version, does photosynthesis), Chemosynthisizing Proteins (does chemosynthesis, which basically means now you can eat up some tasty hydrogen sulfide), Rusticyanin (does iron respiration, an alternative to fermentation), Nitrogenase (does nitrogen fixation, which gives you ammonia. helps a lot with reproduction).

-External Organelles: Flagellum (that “tail” thing. provides quicker movement).

-Internal Organelles: Nucleic Core (called Nucleus in the current version. the mark of a eukaryote. extremely costly), Mitochondria (eukaryotic successor to the metabolosomes, way more efficient. the powerhouse of the cell), Chloroplast (more efficient version of thylakoids), Thermoplast* (does thermosynthesis, global warming won’t be a problem for you), Chemoplast*(the natural successor to the chemo proteins), Nitrogen Fixing Plastid/Nitroplast* (pretty self explanatory), Vacuole (the storage facility of the cell), Toxin Vacuole (makes and stores the oxytoxy NT, basically a weapon).

*Note: those plastids actually don’t exist in real life but in theory can.

Listed in the editor but not implemented are the predatory pilus (used to stab your fellow cells), cilia (provides more flexible movement than the flagellum but doesn’t make you as fast in one direction), Bioluminescent Vacuole (when light is implemented, will help you see in dark places. also makes your cell shiny).

I’m pretty sure there will also be thermosynthesizing proteins and ferroplasts added eventually. There are many more organelles to come, the world of cells is surprisingly diverse.

1 Like

Is there a current plan to explain how species will make the adjustment from asexual reproduction to sexual reproduction (if your species even makes the transition that is to say)?

I haven’t really seen a detailed plan as of yet, but I’d assume it would involve making your own germ cells (cells that have half the usual number of chromosomes, so like sperm and egg) and then making an organ that produces those germ cells, and an organ to transfer it.

1 Like

Will the saving work as in Minecraft (one save constantly overwriting itself, basically), or as in Skyrim, let’s say, where you can jump several saves back anytime you feel like you have :belgium:up? I’m personally for the Minecraft system, as to create a bit of tension and fear of :belgium:ups, but maybe the other system would be better.

Can I choose to be able to breath the other civs “pollution”? Like some lizards and other smaller organisms were able to breath through the extremely toxic coal-drenched environment when the dinosaurs died of the asteroid and the after effects? If I am small enough will I also be able to survive the apocalypse?

There should be sources aviable to my statements, just say the word and I should try and see if I can dig up something :slightly_smiling_face:

IIRC the plan was to have a multi-save system, with the possibility of an ironman/commitment/whatever you want to call it-mode if the player wants it.

1 Like

I don’t remember any fully concrete plans, but some thought has gone in to it. The approach we can use is basically look up how that probably happened on Earth and then model that into game mechanics (with adjustments where needed).

I don’t think it is a good fit (and harder to do) a continuous save system. Instead the player will manually trigger saving and there would also be periodic auto saves.
With a working save system, it wouldn’t be difficult to have frequent auto saving (that keeps only the latest one) and no manual saves allowed.

I mean, if it happened on Earth, then…

But this is related to a point related to playing as parasites, you need to wait around for another species to overtake you, and cause that pollution (unless you generally mean any kind of waste product, like it will probably be possible to use the waste products of other cells in the cell stage). And that means that basically the player lost the race to intelligence and basically will “not win” the game. That makes it a very low priority item as the priority is on the “official” route from being a cell to ascension.

1 Like

This is kind of a two-part question. I am particularly interested in how different sensory organs will be “evolved” by players, meaning how they will affect gameplay (ex. If you are blind if long whiskers would help you see farther or if you could adapt better eyes to possibly see farther).
This part relates to light sensing organs. Is it planned that if we have different kind of light sensing organs that would affect gameplay (ex. Having infrared sensors would let you pick out heat signatures from other creatures)?

This was discussed in another thread but I can’t seem to recall which one. Basically we were debating wether we should allow a 3rd person cam over a creature with normal human vision AND a 1st person cam with the creature’s vision. It might have been this thread, but I’m not sure. I’m pretty sure they were planning on implementing different vision types though.

1 Like

I think this is one of the best posts about this:

There’s also these:

1 Like

I wonder how a politically conservative specie will be able to achieve spacefaring? Since they will value old pillars of their society and wouldn’t like to change, not even when presented with a fuel that seems better in every thinkable way.

Edit: Grammar.

Conservative views and “Progressist” views have nothing to do with technology. They are simply opinions, ways to see things. Conservative is more about tradition while “Progressist” values social justice.

P.S.:

I used quotes for “Progressist” because it’s a word that has nothing to do with progress (when speaking of the left, of course). Progress is about to step forward, to go to a more advanced state. Saying the left is more advanced than the right is like saying that margarine is better than butter. Margarine is practically the same as butter, except that butter comes from animal milk and that margarine comes from vegetable oil. The left is the same as the right, it’s just that they don’t value the same things. Butter and margarine are spreads. The left and the right are political sides. See? Nothing to do with progress.

Yeah and that’s where you’re wrong kiddo. Butter4Lyfe

1 Like

Isn’t that “tradition” the problem here?

There’s a difference between political conservatism and technological conservatism, and people can easily adhere to one without the other

1 Like