Quick Question Thread

Wether the color of “plants” depend on the type of star, distance to it and some other factors? On Earth we could watch red and purple plants, but green plants killed them with oxygen - result of photosynthesis. But on extrasolar planets can be red, blue or even black plants. In theory…

3 Likes

This video tackles that problem.

It should be noted that all of their videos are great. Especially the world building ones.

3 Likes

I like that video, because they said about Pirates of the Caribbean😂

1 Like

I couldn’t find a thread that was recent and was on this topic and I’m nervous to start my own so I’ll just ask here; Is any one else getting a pre-game crash? The game will open to a white screen and after about 15 seconds it will crash again and will only give this crash report:

Thrive is running. Log output:
Process Started
child process exited with code 3221225477

Is this problem happening with anyone else? If so; Does any one know how to fix the problem?

1 Like

That happened to me too. Also no, sorry I don’t know how to fix it, I’ve just been playing the version before the current one because I’ve been too lazy to ask.

That’s applicable to trying to run thrive on any intel integrated graphics.

Quick question, how are the new populations calculated? Because…

This many deaths should not increase population by 13.

Edit: They went extinct after I finished another generation, is the extinction of species delayed?

3 Likes

The external effects are in addition to the auto-evo results. So those auto-evo numbers don’t contain the lost population from dying.

I think extinctions should get applied after the external effects. So it should work fine even if the numbers aren’t fully updated.
I made an issue on github a already for this:

Two quick questions (more like suggestions/ideas)

1. When you were talking about being able to have some vacuoles connected based on what they contain, I immediately thought of the organelle upgrades. The idea is that you could upgrade the vacuole’s capacity, thus making it larger. That would solve the issue with having to distinguish between vacuoles used for different compounds. Might also be applied to toxin vacuoles, so that instead of having 10 toxin vacuoles, you just have a large one. Whaddayasay?
  2. As you were talking about some people picking thylakoids in places where there’s no light, I had another idea. What if an organelle gets unlocked once you come in contact with the thing it is supposed to process? So if you’ve never encountered iron, you won’t be able to get rusticyanin. Similarly, if you’ve never encountered sunlight, you wouldn’t be able to develop thylakoids. I think it would not only prevent some people from dying in the very first gen, but it also makes sense from the evolutionary perspective. Why would you evolve to process something you have never encountered? In my opinion, this would be a cool “unlock” system at least as a placeholder for now.

Let me know whether this should be posted somewhere else or whether this is a fine place for it.

4 Likes

I… I just realised why I ran out of glucose during my 0.4.2 run, even though I had multiple photosynthesising organelles.

I have brought dishonor upon my family.

9 Likes

What will the appearance and behavior tabs look like?

3 Likes

Will the skin/membrane of cells and multicellular organisms be customizable. If so, in what way? Will it be fully customizable with some sort of paint tool? Or will there be premade textures?

Also will the hunt for food be much the same like looking for compounds in the multicellular stage?

1 Like
How many people are in the dev team inside each category (e.g. programming, theory, art, …) and how many are active versus how many aren’t active (inside each category too)? Just for curiosity…

Official team member list: http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/team-members
It’s a bit outdated especially the programming team lists many now inactive members. Once I get around to moving that to the new wiki I’ll update it.

Edit: I’ve updated the team member list and moved it to the new wiki: https://wiki.revolutionarygamesstudio.com/wiki/Team_Members

2 Likes

If I reply with (@)System, would that notify all the forum personnel?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it would not. The system account is similar to a normal account. So some admin would have to switch to the system account to see its notifications. However if you were to say @'moderators you would quickly find yourself banned if you did it without a good reason.

2 Likes

Isn’t it possible to turn stuff like @()moderators off for regular users?

Maybe? I don’t see the point. As all the mods can just ban you instantly if you bother them.

3 Likes

“Can I make a sword underwater”

vanishes from the material plane

4 Likes

This is scary! I didn’t know you could call mods like that, but if I’d ever done accidently…

A while back, I was just doing something silly: private message to system just to see if someone would even answer. I didn’t know it could have been illegal. Thankfully, you’re saying that it’s not illegal.
I won’t risk calling these mods by putting an intermediary character to allow Murphy’s laws to intervene in the situation.

Is there anything else I should know?