Quick Question Thread

The estimate I’ve been giving is a few months. There is already setup instructions here: https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/blob/engine_refactor/doc/setup_instructions.md and this thread on the dev forums: Guide to compile leviathan - Programming - Thrive Development Forum

IS it true that you guys were once part of the spore team?

1 Like

No. Where did you get that idea?

I have issues remebering i heard it in an update thred i think

How will you guys make money?

We’re not planning to, I don’t think
Not from thrive

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m installing prerequisites, I’ll probably be back here later with issues/questions :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: during the ruby script, I got this error while setting up build files for cAudio:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:10 (project):
Failed to run MSBuild command:
MSBuild.exe
to get the value of VCTargetsPath:
The system cannon find the file specified

What is MSBuild part of? I installed everything from the prerequisites page, but maybe I forgot to add something to PATH or something?
Edit: I checked the VS installer and MSBuild is ticked there. Do I need to signup/login to VS or something? Currently using the “repair” function, maybe that will work.

You are using the wrong branch (cAudio is only used by the thrive master branch). Currently you need to switch to the branch where the work is happening with git checkout engine_refactor before running setup. Otherwise it is completely broken.

Edit: and you might want to delete your thrive folder before switching to clean up everything.

Oops, forgot to do that, thanks for the quick reply! I should probably wait with running the script again until the VS repair is done :frowning:

Edit: cool, I got everything up and running. Any suggestions as to what I could work on to familiarise myself with the code?

I’m having a hard time coming up with really easy things as the compound bar display got finished recently. The AI is currently not able to move very effectively so you could have a look at scripts/microbe_stage/microbe_ai.as (don’t forget to run cmake after editing to make the change be copied) to make the AI cells move around instead of just randomly turning and maybe randomly firing if they have a toxin vacuole. The other easy part that @Untrustedlife is (maybe currently working on?) getting the freefloating organelles to spawn again.

I’m focusing on making the compound clouds work again and then working on the transition to the editor and making that work, at which point there should be some easy parts of the editor that can be worked on.

1 Like

I got the organelles spawning now actually so yep that’s not an option anymore.

When you press “P” durring the microbe stage it allows you to evolve regardless if your organelles multiplied. Its a neat little cheat code, will cheat codes be a thing passed the “P” button. Or is the “P” button an unintentional cheat

Probably just a thing to test if the editor actually functions, probably will be removed later

It’s a super secret cheat

Oh. Well not so secret anymore. :no_mouth:

Quick, change the button!

Ill find the new button…

Make it a button combination!

You under estimate me, ill find that too

I’m kind of new to Github so this might be a newbie question.

So I was looking around at the Github and found 73 stale branches, all of which haven’t been updated for at least the past 2 years. Which leads me to ask what are these branches and why do they exist?