Quick Question Thread

Why move to low light environment? And why does a cell need it if it cannot see without stigma?

Why move to any new environment?

To spread your population, and take advantage of a niche that is probably there.
The lack of light is simply one of many challenges to overcome.

The cell editor is not restricted to the cellular stage. It will persist into the multicellular and aware stages as well.
If you want a creature with skin, you will need to design a cell with skin-like properties.
If you need any other particular kind of tissue, or organ, you will need to design a cell for that too.
If you want bioluminescence, at all, it needs to exist in the cell editor.

1 Like

I do not understand how the cells will use this organelle. They have not eyes and canā€™t capture light.

Short answer, they can.

Signaling in Single-Celled Organisms | Biology 171

3 Likes

Bro @PeasantKyr should go to jail because murder is illegal-

2 Likes

Can I have a link to the modding guide?

1 Like

Can you show me the background pictures in the menu?

Are there any plans on how to handle the MP cost of cells in the multicellular stage?

Iā€™ve already read that whole thread, and no one ever mentioned how to determinate the MP cost of placing new cells into the organism

"Finally; We need to decide on how we want to handle the cost of editing cell types in the organism, this is very important as it sets the pace of player mutation and customization in the game. The expanded depth of customization brings some added difficulty to this endeavor, as more things to change in the organism means slower evolution per generation. Below are some proposed methods for handling this.

Per-Cell MP Pools
By granting each cell type their own MP pool, we can allow the player to make small changes throughout the cells of their organism without having to focus on any particular one. This could be balanced by altering the cost of individual cell parts, or by decreasing the amount of MP granted to each cell so less can be changed in each cell at once.

Divided MP Pools
By having two separate MP pools for cell specialization, and cell placement, we can allow players to tweak one or two of their cell types without sacrificing options for placing new cells on their bodies.

Dynamic MP Exchange
A bit of an unusual take that is difficult to explain, but by granting each cell their own MP pool, and then an overall MP pool for all changes, we can allow the player to make limited changes to many of their cell types at the cost of spending some MP they could use to place new cells.
(Ex: The player spends 90 MP to place 2 mitochondria in a cell, which then deducts 45 MP from their overall MP pool, leaving them with enough MP to make the same change to one other cell).

Standard MP Pool
All changes cost MP from the same pool, preventing the player from making very many changes to their organism at once."

Itā€™s right there in the post that hh linked.

1 Like

I didnā€™t mean how the MP pool will be handled, I meant the MP cost of placing new cells in the organismā€™s structure

Nobody knows. Itā€™ll probably be initially just some number, likely not even related to the cell type or anything like that. And weā€™ll balance it further later.

Really dumb question maybe, but should my player cell ever divide on screen? Iā€™ve got a solid hunter organism that is doing very well after 2,900 MYR, but Iā€™ve never had my own cell divide on screen.

I have seen CPU cells of my species divide on screen, but the one Iā€™m controlling never does.

I have no issues maxing out all my resources every generation. Am I missing something?

Have you clicked the evolve button?

The button on the bottom right that is enabled after enough Phosphate and ammonium is gathered? Yes, is that also the reproduction button? I somehow thought that my own cell would also pop out baby cells mid ā€œgenerationā€ :smiley:

Well the game spawn a cell next to your cell, if memory serves me there is no animation for cell division

2 Likes

Ah! Ok, I think I get it now. Whenever I evolve, I always spawn in right next to at least one of my own species. I guess thatā€™s my baby!

Thank you!

Itā€™s your daughter cell, actually.