Sexual reproduction

a suggestion: sexual reproduction!, it would be very good to have sexual reproduction, to have more than just 100 mutation points, so…would have a new part that would give more points (like 100 or 50), at the cost of to find a cell with the opposite sexe for reproduction. (note: your gender is random with each evolution) :family_man_woman_girl_boy: :dna:

Mutation points mark maximum changes done to species in a round, so it shouldn’t be increased from 100 (max) to like 200 (far above max)

2 Likes

maybe give a discount on all parts? I think it’s a better idea lol. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

That should be a feature but not until multicellular stage gets more fleshed out, plus: the earliest sexual reproducers just shot gametes into the currents and didn’t have to find a mate, just sync up their gametes, second: hermaphrodites were also highly common. Also: sexual selection will also come into play and I think that should be the real source of mp. Also also: it’s sexes, not genders, while we may swap the two up the scientific nomenclature is sexes, that’s the one that means what you’re thinking in this situation, and anyone who takes issue with that confuses me.

5 Likes

I’d say that is the better idea. It’s a pretty hard-baked idea that 100 MP is a percentage and not a total, so a discount on things by half or so can be adequate with the penalty of having to find a mate, with congruent effects on auto-evo.

It can serve as a soft-lock as well, with certain things not being affordable until that sexual reproduction discount is applied. Of course, that’s a matter of how LAWK we want to go - I’d wager that’s a pretty standard thing.

1 Like

In favour of the discounts is also that it is already literally programmed into the game and used by the multicellular editor to make single cell parts cheaper.

3 Likes

Asexual reproduction allows you to reproduce quickly without needing to find a mate. But it doesn’t allow new allele combinations or genetic information exchange across different members so it is bad for evolution.

There are 6 sexual reproduction types according to a random video I saw on youtube.

1. Environmental sex determination: This is when there are 2 genders but which one you end up with is determined by environmental factors such as temperature. And also some species can change their sex during adulthood

2. Chromosomal sex determination: One chromosome makes you male and another one makes you female. Either of which can be the default gender.

3. Hermaphrodity: This is when you are a male and female at the same time. It means that you can mate with 100% the population. Even yourself. But that isn’t generally recommended

4. Haplodiploidy: This causes your siblings to be more geneticly similar to you than your offsprings, so it greatly increases the chances that eusociality evolves

5. Monogenicity: This one causes you to be 50% similar to your paternal grandmother and 25% similar to maternal grandmother. I wonder what type of a society this would result in

6. More than 2 genders: The more the better. Can get up to tens of thousands. It allows you to mate with more than 50% the population while still preventing incest

1 Like

I have an idea that might relate

It’s based on how in life multiple of the same species can have diversity and how breeding can exchange genes to do with this

I call it the biodiversity or diversity tab which allows for multiple variations in structure or behavior in one organism, also I would like to make it so the maximum number of changes increases in range when your organism utilizes sexual reproduction rather than any other

Here’s an example of what that may look like in game…
MOVIE-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter

2 Likes