Space whales

Why don’t you go on and say “its so non lawk[1] that we don’t want to add it”, instead of using 20 adjectives to describe how it is unbelievably complicated?

This isn’t like mobile plants, they don’t exist on earth which means there must be a reason why they can’t, earth also doesn’t have space whales but earth’s gravity isn’t as low as it could be

If there was a terrarium in space[2], the plants in it would have no problem photosynthesising.

That is an interesting question. When they talk about a micron thick solar sails, they never talk about all the space dust it may hit. Of course, that’s not the thickness a terrarium can have, there wouldn’t be abrasion.

10% of the energy moves between trophic levels, that would mean that 90% of the cells of a space whale would have to be plant cells[3]. This would limit the thickness of the space whale, it would be like a giant leaf and a thinner strip of animal matter behind it, there is no limit to the non living material around those, which could be the majority. All the animal parts don’t have to be spread out, they would be concentrated at one spot[4]

I can imagine a spherical species, the surface of one hemisphere contains all the living material, and the remaining 99% is like a giant vacuole, filled with fat, wood or material to eject during movement.

Most of it would be recycled, the total biomass in space grows very slowly

The creature, like any plant, would be absorbing light in visible/ultraviolet spectrum and emitting infrared light.

According to the information I was able to find in wikipedia[5], an object 2.2 AU away from our sun would become 200 kelvin, at 3.2 AU it is 165 kelvin. As the light gets away from the sun, it loses its energy proportional to the distance squared (since the photons are spread in 4πr^2), but the energy an object loses is proportional to its temperature to the power four, so an objects temperature decreases proportional to the square root to the distance to the sun, and it fits the data in wikipedia, 165*(3.2/2.2)^(1/2)=198.99, they must have did some rounding. 200*(2.2/1)^(1/2)=296.6 kelvin (23 celcius), which allows for liquid water[6]. A species as away from the sun as earth, would be as hot as earth. But we can get better than that, if the creature can drop the temperature that isn’t facing the sun to 3 kelvin[7] by slowing the conduction with that face, it would almost halve its radiation and get 2^(1/4)=1.19 times hotter. 273/1.19=229.5, (x/1)^(1/2)=296.6/229.5, x=1.67. A creature 1.67 AU away from sun can still keep its water liquid just at the tripoint of water without burning any fat (not considering the heat it would normally generate)

The metabolisms would be very slow, like the fishes at the bottom of our oceans. They[8] would divide like plant cells, creating the layer that protects them from the the lack of pressure and gas loss right through the middle of the organism, then seperating into two.

There would be different niches in space

the creature adapted to high gravity is different than the one which always lives in space, so this

isn’t likely

The species can have an extra lung which it no longer uses, and repurpose it

I admit this would be rarer than wings

If creatures launch themselves into air to make long travels(to upper atmosphere or space), they wouldn’t have to keep moving body parts like fliers or runners, it would make sense to hibernate/sleep to not waste energy. Low energy consuption=>photosynthesis

Evolution has millions of years, not decades like we humans did

replace radioactive elements with living cells(cells generate at least 10^−21 watts https://www.quantamagazine.org/zombie-microbes-redefine-lifes-energy-limits-20200812/), and you get a maximum size for space whales

Uh, there is a thing called “increasing the surface area”. Just be a dimetrodon. It is possible to do it without getting too thin.

1. “Given the amount of sheer liberties that will have to be taken to solve these important questions” ↩︎

2. that doesn’t explode ↩︎

3. that are illuminated ↩︎

4. it doesn’t need to be all muscles to move a leaf, there would be long tendons ↩︎

5. ↩︎

6. and it would be the temperature of earth if it absorbed all of the light ↩︎

7. the temperature of cmbr ↩︎

8. multicellular ↩︎

now its time for a dreadful question
can space whales form a civilization in space?
because if they cant
i dont see why yall would want the devs to waste their time working on implementing them, and implementing a whole (bunch of) patch(es)/environment(s)/biome(s) for space

4 Likes

Again it pretty much comes down to can photosynthesis fuel sapience if we have photosynthesis on a large enough scale?

Or is there some alternate source of nutrition these would be sapients would use?

Because the common argument seems to be here that surviving/thriving in space would likely need at least some level of photosynthesis

4 Likes

The dreadful question is “can space whales exist?”

This “response” from 50gens completely ignores the counter points and when he “addresses” them he just misinterpretes them.

It doesn’t even deserve a response more articolate than “you are wrong”.

4 Likes

Think what you want to think

By dyson sphere I don’t mean putting oneill cylinders or solar panels around the star, the species itself can already use solar power[1]. I mean “cover your star with members of your species”

An achievement that can’t be added would be something like this

• Unlucky: Be the unluckist person to have ever played thrive

An achievement that won’t be added would be something like this

• Natural rebar: Make a species that has metal bones or exoskeleton

56 minutes into the 25th thrive podcast, they said there will not be metalic tissues.

There isn’t “absolutely more trouble waiting for any animal that tries to adapt to the conditions of space” that I don’t deserve to know. Until you say what is it that I misinterpreted, the burden of proof is on you.

1. unless it found a radioactive chunk to feed upon ↩︎

I already told you what you misinterpreted.

Wait
Why did you quote me?

so is it everything? i see nothing that is misinterpreted

It is you who said what you said.
I wrote the last sentence for fralegend015

Yes.

That means that you are doing it on purpose.

Im quite confused on whats even being discussed

the devs don’t want to put space whales because it complicates how stages work (space stage starting when you first go to space) so they ask questions that show why it is impossible, but every question has its obvious answer, meanwhile @willow fills the thread with troll questions (“didn’t i say in a goldilocks zone”) so that the devs can lock the thread like the underwater discussions, @Abominable asks the same questions again and again, I link my previous answers, @fralegend015 is convinced i speak nonesense

I am still to be proven wrong.

1 Like

From now on, if you don’t ask a spesific question, I will ignore you.

@50gens you are the underwater proponent version in this discussion. So please keep that in mind as this discussion is turning bad pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Wow, false analogy and ad hominem at the same time.

Not an ad hominem since he didn’t use that to disprove you.

It wasn’t an analogy, it was a direct comparision.

3 Likes

But he used comparison to the underwater thread to discredit me, but I am not the one saying hydrothermal vents again and again, @Deus doesn’t read my answer to pressure, repeats @Buckly 's words that it is hard even for modern spacecraft to escape earth (noone says space whales can exist in super earths) and @Abominable reads absolutely nothing I write, but I am the bad guy who is obviously wrong.

You know what, I’d prefer to stay on topic too, but I am unable to answer your (aswerable) claims like the comment section in reddit, and we bury all the important stuff.

Life in space could arise quite easily: Start at a life-bearing moon with some sort of extreme desert algae similar to D. radiodurans.Some disruption throws the moon at its planet, and tidal forces rip it up. The extremophilic desert algae survives on in the new ring system it finds itself in, using photosynthesis and carbon from minerals to grow and reproduce

Complex life isn’t going to happen this way, though, seeing as the rings will dissappear rather quickly. Depending on what the original species are like, the most advanced life you’d get in rings would be on the level of a simplified placozoon

Doesn’t algea need to be in water, wouldn’t water evaporate in the ring system where there isn’t enough pressure?