"Squish" mechanic for cell movement

Has a squish mechanic been considered for the cell stage when using “soft” membranes? I believe something like a button that causes your cell to rapidly “squish” would be very helpful when dealing with predators that have pili (and probably other hazards) and it would more closely resemble the behaviour of unicellular organisms in real life, while also adding some depth to cell stage gameplay and membrane choices.

Switching to soft body physics for the cells (so they would be like actually jiggly and fluid) has been talked about. So far no one has tried to tackle that, which may be a good thing considering the current performance problems seem to be at least partly physics simulation related.

for controls it would make sense (in my mind at least) to have the ad keys being pressed simultaneously squish the cell’s front and back towards eachother and the ws keys being pressed simultaneously squish the sides of the cell(left and right) together
what software does thrive use for physics
edit: didn’t realize this thread was inactive for so long

Try not to necropost, willow. If a topic is lower down on the list it’s probably old.

Also, Thrive uses it’s own physics system.

We just use the default Godot 3D physics engine (which is Bullet). Though in 4.0 I think they are planning on switching to a custom physics engine.

Oh, when I was looking through the source code it seemed like most of the physics are custom.

Oh? Which parts? We basically have to do a lot of physics callbacks, shape setup and adjustment and also some keeping track of touching things that are needed to be known for various gameplay features. But there’s 0 actual collision or physics simulation stuff in our code.

I know, I got confused, I was sort of just skimming over the code. Now that I look closer I can tell that there isn’t really any physics stuff.
The files were a lot of the ones in src/engine/

i didn’t see it on the list i saw it at the bottom of the page of another topic

Oh, the suggested topics list.