Structure, Appearance, Behavior functions

I saw that in the editor there are three tabs and two of them are place holders. What will be the function of them and do you have some examples of them, I can see pigment being in appearance but not much else and even less for behavior. Will behavior only effect the AI of your species and not the players organism and if it does effect it then how would that work if im in control of it?

http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/microbe-editor

Behavior effects the AI/Castes/Agents of your species.
http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/microbe-editor#toc12

And yes appearance is for pigments and textures (like in spore) (and i want to get some basic appearance stuff working for 0.4.0 if i have time (change your color/your membrane type (because we have chitin cell walls and cell walls in code now (walls are used by bacteria) and it would be easy to apply to a player microbe.

The organelle list on the wiki is out of date btw.

1 Like

like most things rip.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is where this should be posted, so my apologies. But will the game have standalone creators akin to spore? If so, would user-made creations be part of the procedurally generated world?

We won’t be inserting user made creations into the game. The point of auto-evo is that all species evolve with you.

There will be a “freebuild” mode where you can enter the editors with unlimited MP.

1 Like

Will the creations made in freebuild mode be usable in some point in the game?

most likely not, all living things in the game start as cells and slowly evolve with you even the plants so nothing pops into existence like in spore . But maybe you can find them on different planets when you hit the space stage

I agree with everything except the last sentence.

Because each save is a separate universe it doesn’t make sense in terms of realism to meet species from other parallel realities (saves or ones made in the editor).

so will each planet you visit have auto-evolved life that’s done in the background? that seems like it would be hard on the game.

Yeah, we probably won’t be able to run the full evolution on many planets. But I hope that all species will be at least somewhat realistically generated. And in the space stage only some properties of the species are relevant like personality traits, some physical traits like food source and size.

1 Like

Sorry to bump in on the conversation, but I think a good way to look at it is that life is hard. both in the literal sense and the biological sense. out of any of the planets that the human race has looked at, none have shown any straight signs of alien life, but there have been signs of running water on Mars. the opportunity that gives us is that we can have similar signs on planets in Thrive. but as far as life goes, its a 1 in 1,000 chance that we will see other life forms out there, same would probably apply here.

I think 1 in a 1000 chance is too low, discovering extraterrestrial life has to be one of the most iconic moments of the game and in order for that to happen the event has to be rare but possible enough for it to happen in every playthrough

I agree and with every new game or “universe” the player will have to adapt to a whole new planet with an entirely different set of species . the game is so early in development and yet I already know that a huge pull factor will be the level of unpredictability.

Speaking of planets, how big is Thrive? is it gonna be just one galaxy like spore? how many stars and planets? In any case i don’t think the game should be that barren of life, i think it should be bit uncommon but it shouldn’t take a tediously long time to encounter life on another planet after the space stage starts. I feel like it would be a reward to find a new alien life in the game not on your planet after the struggles of the society and industrial stages.

Spore wasn’t even a galaxy. It had just a few hundred planets in it (if I remember correctly). An actual galaxy has hundreds of millions of stars in it. There is plenty of space in realistically sized galaxy.

even if we are going for an average sized galaxy it would take a very long time to explore the whole thing. millions of planets and stars are a lot. even counting to a million will take you over a week, so Thrive will indeed be utterly immense if this is the case.

According to Spore Wiki,

Current estimates of the Milky Way 's size give it 200 million stars. Given that Spore’s planetary scale was compressed so much you could see the curvature on the ground, it’s oddly fitting that galactic scales are an order of magnitude off. It’s also shared between save files, so you could interact with your other empires.
Since Thrive is going to be more realistic, it makes sense to not just elect one ship to explore, wage war, and buy alien technology. Star Trek’s Federation has plenty of exploratory vessels in commission. So even if Thrive had the same galactic size as Spore, it would be much easier to explore the entire galaxy because you could send multiple envoys to the cosmos.
Stellaris has an even smaller galaxy in the vanilla game. A medium-sized galaxy has 600 stars, while the largest unmodded size has a thousand stars. This is a conscious game design decision - conquering the galaxy is a goal that should actually be attainable in the framework of the game.
The game also features more depth than Spore, such as anomalies found on planets and diplomacy. The AI’s ineptitude has been a common complaint, but still. Simulating a large galaxy is very taxing, (source: I hacked the galaxy generator settings) even when the star count barely approaches Spore.

If Thrive is going to approach a genuine strategy game in depth, there’s obviously some limits that have to be put in place. I like the idea of having soft limits - your ships can only explore so far before they have to refuel, or that your empire can only grow so big before becoming a logistical nightmare only Lovecraftian accountants can imagine. On our planet alone, no one power is completely dominant - the USA may be giant and have plenty of allies, but its power is still opposed, such as by China.

3 Likes