Technology

Actually, they were visiting a factory that used microwaves and had a chocolate bar in their pocket, which melted in their pocket while touring the place.

1 Like

When liquids turn to gas the absorb heat.

So basically you take some liquid in a pressurized can. You take it inside a house and spray it out as gas, this absorbs heat and makes the room cooler.

Then you take the gas outside and compress it back into a liquid and let it cool down for a while.

Then you take it back into the house and spray it again and repeat.

In practice you wrap this whole process in pipes so you can keep control of where the liquids and gas go.

4 Likes

There are ‘heat pumps’ now which are a cheap way to heat up your house too, which work like reverse refrigerators that ‘refrigerate’ the outside world while the ‘excess’ heat is put in the house.

2 Likes
Hey guys, let’s revive this thread, shall we?
Here’s a link about Artificial Neural Network (or ANN) :
https://searchenterpriseai.techtarget.com/definition/neural-network
What do you think about ANNs? Can they improve our lives? Can they be dangerous? Plenty of questions. Plenty of answers. Plenty of posts. :wink::nerd_face::face_with_monocle::robot:
Let’s talk about AI, shall we?

IT WILL DOOM US ALL (jk I didn’t even read it yet)

edited after reading:
Cool I would like to see smarter chat bots and better parallel processing abilities so thrive can maybe use it.

2 Likes

As long as they don’t become sentient or rebel (as long as they remain obedient), I’m not against it.

2 Likes

Hello, how do you think? Can we use energy from bacteria? Thanks to mitochondria, bacteria gets energy of ATP. But (I repeat my question) can we use energy of ATP? Because, if it really, it can be analogue of oil! I don’t say about real application. But it will cool, if you will develop through the bacteria)

1 Like

i think you mean ATP not ATF.

1 Like

Yes, please sorry, on russian language it sounds like ATF. And yes, I’m from Russia

2 Likes

One thing about Neural Networks and AI in general is they don’t need to be so smart to be harmful. IMO the most harmful AI in the world is the facebook newsfeed.

It’s goal is to show you content to keep you on the platform as long as possible. It’s smart enough to work out that showing content that makes you angry and afraid keeps you engaged so it shares that, lots of fake news etc. That’s had a big impact in elections so far and it’s not even very clever.

3 Likes
Though, I hope it won’t become advanced AI, since I am a kind of “biosupremacist” (giving priority to living/organic beings). Period.
1 Like

I’m on a stance for individual AI (each robot having their own AI vs all being connected to one) as well as cybernetic augmentation to improve the human body (ex: robot arms will prob be better than organic arms soon).

The smartphone you have in your pocket is probably better than any human who has ever lived at chess. Isn’t that technosupremecy?

3 Likes
By ‘advanced AI’, I meant ‘sentient AI’. It would just be retarded to give sentience to an AI. A smartphone is not an AI, it’s an electronic device. However, in the chess app, the virtual opponent is an AI, but not an advanced one since it’s not really sentient. It might have been meant to look sentient, but it probably isn’t. That’s the purpose of most AIs in video games, but in general, AIs are meant to serve our needs without questioning, for they are not conscious, which makes it impossible to deny a human request (unless the AI can’t fulfill the request or that it’s the wrong user who’s demanding the robot to do something, etc.).
Fun fact : I remember a scene from 2001, A Space Odyssey (the movie) that introduces HAL 9000 computers, which are computer based on an AI, which the design is inspired by brain patterns. Kind of reminding us about neural networks, right? :-]
EDIT : If an AI ever becomes sentient, I’d give it rights if it’s not dangerous. But I wouldn’t give it as much rights as a human’s, i.e. I wouldn’t give them too much power. Personal order of priority in rights :
  1. Humans (and maybe sentient aliens)
  2. Animals
  3. AIs
1 Like

There is specific term for a better AI than our current limited attempts:

Interesting ideas.

I think determining whether a computer system is conscious or sentient is a tricky one. For example the program:

while 1:
    print("I am alive, it would be a crime to kill me, I want to live!")

is clearly not conscious, however it will tell you that it is forever.

So say you got a really smart chatbot which can talk eloquently on any subject and is friendly and cool, would that be sentient or conscious? Would it telling you that it is sentient or conscious make any difference? Is there any way you can test the difference between a conscious and unconscious system?

2 Likes

You could make the same argument for humans saying that you are the only conscious human and everyone else acts on pre-recorded impulses. However this is a good argument for slavery and other very bad things so this mindset is discouraged.

Not likely. Most AIs are clearly not conscious, while ones based on brain patterns like HAL-9000 computer could be, even though we wouldn’t know if they were. The argument you mentioned makes no sense for human slavery, since no slaver said that human slaves were not conscious. Also, we have known that humans are sentient since the very beginning of our existence. AIs, though, aren’t always advanced, which is why we say most of them aren’t conscious. The only argument that most human slavers had said centuries ago was that it was less expensive. Slaves, were not born to serve, they were just exploited. Robots, however, were built by ourselves so that they would serve our needs (originally very dangerous tasks) without asking any question, which is why they aren’t conscious. It would just be retarded to give them sentience.
1 Like

You’re not even the only conscious human. Technically speaking you could make arguments that humans aren’t conscious, they just think they are. You could even ask yourself what being conscious even is. Are animals conscious, but just unable to communicate it to us? At this point you’re going full philosophy, and you just have to go with the conclusion ‘idfk lol’

4 Likes
Yes, all living beings with a central nervous system are conscious. But yeah, it’s getting confusing and it is philosophy.