The most interesting species on Earth and their peculiar properties

There really is a flying version of every creature!

Not every generally (or i simply didn’t meet flying toads), but most part has flying (or gliding) analogues.

Ever thought about how weird giraffes are with their long necks or any other animal that roams the African savanna except for the cats?

Yep, giraffes are weird and impressive as hell. It’s thought that the abundance of large animals in Africa is down to Humans having been there from the start so there was no shock like when we showed up and started hunting in other continents and wiped out all the big animals.

1 Like

To continue, have you ever heard of that fish that fires water from its mouth to stun bugs?

Yes, they’re called archer fish, and they’re pretty neat: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archerfish

1 Like

If they could evolve their skills to deadly levels, that would be cool. Imagine fish spitting out liquids like a water pressure cutter, it could probably cut through anything.

Hmm, but what kind of environment would necessitate that? And how would they generate the required force?

Idk, maybe something like a thresher shark smacking its tail against the water to stun fish. But other than that it wouldn’t serve much purpose, since it requires a lot of energy.

I think they would generate such force by using some kind of organ to squeeze the water, then have another organ launch it.

1 Like

would make more sense shooting high velocity “pebbles” instead

2 Likes

Yeah, it would save a lot more energy.

I need to catch up with this thread as it’s one of my favourites.

This is a starfish which is sqaure due to birth defects.

7 Likes

This is a goblin shark, one of my favorite species of shark (though only beaten by the thresher shark)

Not much is known about it, since it lives in the deep.

It has a very strange jaw, and a long, flat snout

It can extend its jaw to catch its prey

It is also the last living descendant of the family Mitsukurindae (or at least known last living descendant)

5 Likes

You can’t mention the goblin shark without showing their mediocre table manners

4 Likes

Transparent Brazillian Skipper Caterpillar.

https://thumbs.belgiumcat.com/VictoriousBlindArthropods-mobile.mp4

From a reddit comment on it

that is not the circulatory system because it does not have “blood vessels”. This thin lines are part of the respiratory system and are called “trachea”. They are part of their exodermis and are connected to the outside via little holes, the stigmata. it breathes by contracting and expanding the whole body to keep the gas exchange going.

Also that Goblin Shark is crazy and shouldn’t be allowed, so creepy.

5 Likes

Puffer fish skeleton is blowing my mind, I’d have been 100% certain on the soft tissue parts puffed up.

10 Likes

I know I’m just hardcore copy pasting from reddit atm but this is cool too. I saw it with my round pupil eyes.

10 Likes

Hey I’m always delighted to see what you have to share with us here, really brightens my day to learn something interesting or otherwise just to see you excited about something really cool.

3 Likes

Awesome, that’s really kind. I was inspired by @Gotor who started all this, the stuff he found is really great. Nature is completely incredible, there’s just so much crazy stuff out there.

5 Likes

I assume everyone is watching Journey to the Microcosmos? If not I highly recommend it, it’s an amazing channel. This weeks episode on microscopic eyes was super interesting.

2 Likes