THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 1)

I dont really know. It doesnt really matter that much.

NEW Joke Achievement!

Bad Guru
Present your speech on how you received a ā€œblessing from God.ā€

no polito

Sorry, I had to. I had that joke running in my mind for quite a while.
1 Like

I must inform my fellow Trive peeps of the solution to life, the universe and everything. 42. Anywho what I mean is that I have solved the most urgent question, wtf can we do about all the holiday decorations in stores? My answer is to decorate for Nightmare Before Christmas instead of all the other holidays.

2 Likes

@Deathwake if you have nothing to add to the discussions, please donā€™t post in old threads.

2 Likes

Hi, all. Iā€™m back.
Had disappeared because school swallowed me. Iā€™ve been informed that I may have been infected. Since Iā€™m restricted to my room until tested, I guess I have some time.

Iā€™m curious, has anyone here heard or played Microscope?

Edit: Also, welcome anyone who has joined some weeks/(months?) ago.

2 Likes

The Misc thread is an old thread, but not outdated yet.

Never heard of it. What is that game about?

no, he was referring to another thread but called out deathwake here

1 Like

i think this is the game he is talking about

it looks pretty interesting

2 Likes

Yes, I already deleted the offending post, which was 8 months after the last post in a thread, and it was basically ā€œI agreeā€.

I only just noticed that a tiktaalik was a kind of prehistoric creature similar to the tetrapods.

Meme time!

A message that I sent to a friend of mine that may be of interest to some Portuguese speakers (thereā€™s not really a specific reason for that to be the case, though):

Sinto-me um Santo EtĆ­lico. No lugar da cruz estĆ” o Sagrado Borrifador que sempre me acompanha e purificando vai o que toco. O imundo perdeu o seu lugar na minha vida, que se ele se assenta em mim, sempre Ć© passageiro, visto que a cada quinto minuto, assistido pelo sabĆ£o, este em Ć”gua lĆ­mpida desaparece.

3 Likes

Did you just say that you feel like a saint of alcohol? And you keep cleaning things with a spray of it, assisted by The Soap? :laughing:

2 Likes

Kinda.

I feel myself as an Ethyl Saint. My cross is the Sacred Spray which always accompanies me and cleansing it goes that what I touch. Filth has lost its place in my life, for if it lays itself on me, it is always a passenger/fleeting, since every fifth minute, assisted by the soap, it in clean water vanishes.

2 Likes

I like how only @OoferDoofer liked my ā€œblessing from Godā€ joke and that no one reacted to the video I just shared, lol.

@hhyyrylainen, what do you think about this?

Just two questions, though:

What is the difference between open-source and proprietary drivers in terms of advantages and disadvantages?

Which is more open-source? AMD or Nvidia? Isnā€™t it you who said that open-source drivers are more developped on AMD rather than on Nvidia, which is why youā€™d like to get an AMD GPU should it be more powerful than Nvidiaā€™s?

1 Like

The open source drivers are actually made sure that they work with any kernel changes / other software changes. So if you are using open source drivers that come with your distro, you can confidently get the latest updates and have a good experience.

When you use proprietary drivers, like me with nvidia, you get stuff like needing to jump through extra hoops to get monitor refresh rates right, and stopping tearing in video playing. Canā€™t use Wayland, which is becoming the new default desktop compositor, so running Xorg will in the future have more and more problems. I read that next monthā€™s kernel update for Fedora, will break CUDA, which I luckily donā€™t use, but that just shows that a random kernel update can break your graphics drivers.

Because the proprietary nvidia driver is the only good one (many cards donā€™t even work at all with the open source driver because nvidia doesnā€™t release enough information for the open source developers to make a working driver), Iā€™m basically stuck at the mercy of nvidia to fix their stuff. Of course this also mentions that nvidia can release new drivers faster, so the latest nvidia cards are probably working fine on Linux in a month or two, once their availability is fine. In contrast good driver support for AMD cards that were just announced, probably wonā€™t be coming for 5-6 months. Probably once fedora 34 is released in around April, Iā€™ll buy a new AMD card.

• Open source driver for nvidia: terrible, donā€™t use
  • Proprietary driver for nvidia: the only option, hope that it is updated for new kernel and other software quickly enough
  • Open source for AMD: yes, use this, in many games it is better than even AMDā€™s own driver
  • Half proprietary driver for AMD: this uses an open source kernel module with AMDā€™s own software on top. Use this if

In summary: nvidia hostile to open source, AMD really good for open source

As I said, Iā€™ll probably by a 6800 XT in the spring, as thatā€™s faster than my 1080 Ti, so I can finally update to AMD and donā€™t have to deal with the instability and various general issues with the nvidia driver.
If I didnā€™t have an existing GPU that was more powerful than the 5000 AMD series, I would have bought one of those, right now the GPU peak performance doesnā€™t matter that much to me, but I donā€™t want to buy a slower card, even if it would have open source drivers.

1 Like

there has been a lot of devs joining recently, what caused this?

I hope that the Radeon 6000s will be better than the 3090ā€¦

Anyway, happy halloween!

At least 4 of the recent developers are students working on a group project related to open source. I know this because one of them messaged me about it, so they might not stick around for a long time, but weā€™ll see.

4 Likes

Yay! New humans! Or other things. We donā€™t know for sure. Well, the more devs the more work can be done, which means more Thrive! So thatā€™s a good thing. Anyways, happy Halloween!