THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

Is ‘ab’ an abbreviation for ‘as Belgium’‘, as in "Cthulhu belgium it, this connection’s laggy as Belgium’?

@hhyyrylainen I do enjoy breaking down a bad argument. However, most of the time when a disingenuous actor makes a series of arguments, it takes so long to pick apart everything that’s wrong with it that it’s unlikely to overcome whatever damage might be done by showing them saying it. And very often ‘debate’ videos are actually just people trying to look badass by putting down their opponents.

@blackjacksike What’s the debate on?

Yes. Exactly.

1 Like

Ah yes, the Gish gallop - Wikipedia which is usually favoured by one side of the “debate”

1 Like

Yes, there’s a lot of money to be made in that. There are whole media networks built around it.

I debated joining the er, debating societies at uni, as I though it would be really useful to learn how to explain things in a way that people would more readily understand, and be more likely to accept. But, they’re always based on convincing people of something regardless of the reality. It’s Plato’s main criticism of the Sophists - although Plato was guilty of it just as much as they were.

The users page seems to be working again

1 Like

THE CURSE OF BLINDNESS HAS BEEN LIFTED
(Thrive forum user page empty)

2 Likes

I was reading: How to Delete Uploaded Files? - support - Discourse Meta

and to my shock I read, what I kind of knew already, that uploads are only deleted if the latest version of a post doesn’t reference them. And deleted posts count as the latest version. So before deleting a post if there are uploads in it that need deleting, the post needs to be edited to remove the image links to allow the automatic orphaned image deletion task to delete them.

I see. Well, I can’t remember all videos I’ve watched a couple of minutes of.

RIP Titan Submarine Passangers and Crew

What are your mbti personality types?
Mines is ENTJ

Mine’s INTP-T.

I forgot if I was Turbulent or Assertive but I think it was Turbulent because I’m perfectionist.

Been a bit since I did one of those tests, but I am INTP iirc

Only watched the first minute and a half, and that’s all I can be bothered to watch. Absolute rubbish that’s playing on very cliched right-wing unreasonable interpretations of things. Saying that a company is ‘virtue signalling’ for withdrawing something from sale when they think they are likely to lose sales due to people’s perception of them making money from it - that’s just ludicrous. Saying that children are under attack by being introduced to ideas about non-standard identities in such a way as to lead them to think people considered as not normal shouldn’t be attacked because of it - also ludicrous.

These people are being disingenuous when they say these things. They just want to express their disdain for things they don’t care to understand, and do it in such a way that they can claim a vague excuse of ‘just stating facts’, etc. Generally not worth bothering listening to. If you want to understand these kinds of issues, listen to someone who actually engages with and considers the issue itself, not someone who just rolls out stock phrases to sound badass.

3 Likes

Gen Z is the most prone to mental illness:

you know why that is?

Its almost as if this generation likes going to therapists more than other generations!

1 Like

also the generation that currently rules the world is trying to make it as uninhabitable for us as possible before they die

3 Likes

It doesn’t say they are more prone to mental illness just that they are more prone to getting diagnosed

But on the medical(meant to say that instead of mental) record, undiagnosed illnesses won’t count.
Edit: Since @TwilightWings21 keeps on facepalming my posts, I’m gonna do a little trolling and facepalm back on your replies and posts.

1 Like