THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

You were just clarified why we can’t talk about underwater civs…

The fact that 2018 was 5 years ago is surreal

2 Likes

The four posts before this one clarify why underwater Civ threads cannot be discussed, the reason they were banned in the first place was largely due to dumb, repeated, or unsupported arguments on said threads

Because underwater civs cannot get past the stone age, and attempts to prove otherwise end up being the same 4 disproven points disguised as new ideas

Summary
  1. Traditional Smelting, but underwater:
    The only known materials that burn underwater need metal to produce (Correction: someone was able to prove otherwise, but point 2 stands)
    Unlike air, water is really good at conducting heat, so smelter temperatures would either be extinguished immediately or smelt the smith.

2. Bioengineering:
    Takes multiple generations to make singular shapes via breeding, by the time you finished the one who started it would be long dead, too slow to be useful.
    Attempting to use genetics other than breeding is impossible without machine precision tools, which need metal.

3. Electricity:
    Electricity at high enough voltage to do anything useful will kill everything around it because it is underwater.
    Effective insulation would require rubber, mineral oil, ceramic, or similar, which need metal, not to mention the electronics themselves(Copper is obtainable but extremely difficult to mine and near useless without smelting to shape it).

4. Go on land:
    Either evolve to be amphibious (thus no longer an underwater civilization), or make a land suit, which does not work because unlike a scuba suit, carrying water is heavy, and muscles for swimming don’t work for walking nearly as well as the reverse. Also good luck making watertight suit that isn’t too heavy to lift without metal or rubber.

Most replies in the underwater civ threads end up being variants of these, with little research as to why that idea could work; as such the threads are banned to save the mods the hassle of people getting angry about it.

2 Likes

There was a thread that used sources to prove it was possible to smelt underwater, however properly shaping the metal without getting, for example, water bubbles trapped within and using that to get to space stage has yet to be proved

The Holy Grail: Hhyyrylainen’s Challenge of UC Metalworking Completed and Formalized with 47 Citations!

Anyway let’s not turn this into a UC chat, I think it has been described why the discussion has been disallowed

A post was merged into an existing topic: Underwater Civilizations Take 3

Hhyyrylainen already has made a solution, which is that discussion is banned on the forums. If you wish to discuss it elsewhere (for example, Nie I believe made a Reddit to discuss it) you can, but not here without the essay

A wiki post would just cause arguments and have the exact same problems as a thread, with people repeating disproved ideas because they didn’t bother to read what has already been disproved or not citing sources for dubious info.

Honestly not sure why this is coming up again now, the challenge has been in place for a good while…

Edit; your idea is a good one if people followed it perfectly, but people being people they won’t, and the repetitive arguments that will occur in the for and against sections are the reasons this discussion wasn’t allowed

2 Likes

I did! Here’s a link for y’all! https://www.reddit.com/r/ThriveU8PCivsPipeline/

2 Likes

Yeah, the discussion is banned because it goes absolutely nowhere, annoys everyone else except the one person making bad faith arguments, and causes also mental damage to me because I need to keep an eye on it to tell when people start throwing insults at each other.

That linked reddit is a very good place for anyone wanting to discuss the topic to go. And as was brought up before, once a full explanation from start to finish is done to an acceptable quality level then the discussion can be unbanned.

Also do not start arguing about underwater civs in this thread. I already had to move one post to the underwater thread (and thought about moving another). If I need to do that again, I will be issuing warnings.

2 Likes

This shouldn’t work but it’s absolutely hilarious

1 Like

I can’t watch this video (apparently it’s blocked in my country) but the thumb made me laugh so hard because when I watched the first episode of the last of us I genuinely thought Pedro Pascoal was chris pratt with a lot of makeup

1 Like

Kuvakaappaus - 2023-02-08 09-54-14

Whoo! 600 open issues. Again, goes to show how much faster it is to find problems or new short term features to add to the game than actually doing them.

1 Like

Thats a lot of bugs
We need pesticides in here

3 Likes

Well actually less than half are really “bugs” others are new features or improvements to older features (or tweaks that aren’t fully “bugs” but still need changing).

2 Likes

Initiate the Exterminatus

2 Likes

So the game might need a few tweaking/bug fixing updares

Well all games release with bugs. But if people are scared that Thrive might be finished at some point, we can just almost infinitely make bug fixing and correction updates.

Though, due to the volunteer nature of the project it kind of seems to me that we have less people available to fix bugs as they aren’t very exciting to work on.

2 Likes

I read an interesting book by Christopher Paolini (author of the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon)), and he had an interesting take on FTL travel I hadn’t heard before

I’m no expert, but it seemed at least plausible to me, and so I thought I might as well put it here, so people could read it over and maybe, eventually, part of it could be used as inspiration for Thrive’s own FTL travel.

Here’s a link to a site that has the text of the appendix where the FTL travel method is described.

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars - Appendix

1 Like

i thought the reason was burgeonblas trolling and people using ad hominems instead of actually attacking each other’s points?

That’s basically what was said, along with requirements for the discussion to recommence.

Anyway the UC discussion was over, let’s leave it that way