THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

An opinion on the Arrival Movie:

Anyone else doesn’t like the “Alien language allows you to see the future” thing? I don’t think I ever saw anybody touch that topic. It just seems so unrealistic to me.

3 Likes

I disliked that part a lot. My suspension of disbelief couldn’t take that learning a new language essentially gives you time travel powers, like nothing in you changed except you gained a bit more knowledge. I cannot imagine any way even with very liberal scifi logic how that makes any sense.

3 Likes

i just want a sci-fi movie where the aliens aren’t future humans, aren’t predecessor humans (that made me VERY angry when i was watching moonfall), aren’t like humans but with small differences, aren’t incompreensible by humans, and aren’t evil.

They’re just some interesting fellas that we hang out at night, but they can’t drink because their biochemistry don’t alloy it, they love, they hate, they are very weird but still not any weirder than we are to them.

3 Likes

to be fair, out of all those “not an alien I would like to see” criteria, the idea of some sort of hyperexpansionist hive/swarm civ which consumes all and any civilizations it encounters is probably the most likely one to occur from them.

Also, what does the post have to do with the Arrival thing?

Yeah, sounds a bit unrealistic, but I think movie was good generally (I watched it quite some time ago, but I think I liked it), though I think I was confused a bit at first.

1 Like

Because i’m just fed up with all modern day alien tropes, that include arrival (It did a better job on the alien designs and culture…? but it still fit on “too complex beyond compreension trope”. Its still a great movie that shows how first contact communication could go, but the time travel thing is pretty weird.)

2 Likes

Isn’t this whole future-sight thing from Arrival working in that way that the language users think of time as not one-dimensional thing but a zero-dimensional thing, as if all things were happening all at once? In such case it’d be even more unrealistic due to the sheer amount of proof of time having more than 0 dimensions.

1 Like

Wouldn’t speaking in ‘0-dimensional time’ just be English but you only speak in present tense?

3 Likes

this is a lot of spoilers

6 Likes

If someone hasn’t watched Arrival they’ll be too scared to click that last spoiler to see what that is.

3 Likes

@Nigel

4 Likes

Ayo, just found out that the recent auroras were visible from Hawaii.

3 Likes

mid music imo

4 Likes

Do you by mid mean just really medium (not like nor dislike)?

2 Likes

I wonder what would Nigel the Nova thing about this…

Prokaryotic cells can now acquire a mitochondrion!
Prokaryote_Symbiote

But only one. Be sure to use it wisely…

7 Likes

Is this from an endosymbiosis supporter build?

It was an inside job… thats how they evade the bans…

Name a more iconic duo than awesome videos on the Internet and slapping really badly fitting music over them.

Yeah, that’d explain it.