THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

Thrive vote

When, do you think, will Thrive reach popularity of Spore?
  • Later 0.x.x releases (later microbe stage development)
  • 1.x.x releases (multicellular stage development)
  • 2.x.x releases (aware stage development)
  • 3.x.x releases (awakening stage development)
  • 4.x.x releases (society stage development)
  • 5.x.x releases (industrial stage development)
  • 6.x.x releases (space stage development)
  • “Full release” and further
  • Never

0 voters

1 Like

Probably Aware stage, as people will more associate the animal creation that attracts people with Thrive when larger, more animal like possibilities are in Thrive

1 Like

Is it planned for the cells in a colony to have the size something needs to be to eat them added to incentivise auto-evo to evolve binding proteins once it can actually use them

Random thoughts but:

This guy gets my point of view.

Just because people do die, doesn’t mean that they should.
Everyone always says that living forever would get boring because you’d run out of things to do or you’d lose all the things you care about.
My response is usually, “if you live forever you’ll find something new, you can do something again, you can find new meaning where it was lost, living forever isn’t as bleak as people make it seem. In my opinion your an idiot if you think that ending your existence or letting your existence end solves any problems.” Usually this is met with a repetition of their statement as if they are bringing new light to the matter.

If you could live forever, why wouldn’t you?

capitalism.

If you could live forever, you could do the same as massive corporations: become immortal and accrue infinite interest on your investments over time to become super wealthy. Only problem is that if everyone is doing that then inflation is going to get crazy and your money will lose a ton of value.

1 Like

There’s the problem that literally everyone you know is going to die, but that can easily be fixed with the infinite time you have, just make a very durable, conscious robot and bam, a friend for life. If you get tired of him it just make another one, you already know how to do it.

1 Like

Not a very healthy mindset but it’s in the general area of what I would do.

1 Like

was the april 1 update april fools or real?

1 Like

Probably both. Some stuff was an obvious joke, but I don’t believe they would make new complex organelle models just for a prank.

1 Like

i bet the googly eyes and the underwater civs were the april fools thing

2 Likes

EE and Thrive swap was the april fools over on the discord server

2 Likes

Thrive votes go BRRRRRR

Which one you hate more?
  • Underwater Civilizations
  • Sentient Plant Civilizations

0 voters

2 Likes

Wait there was a April fools prank?

when does multicell get save files?

Late or early

What does it have to do with the goat?

If I made a plugin, how would I know whether I was relying on a bug? Because a bug can sometimes be created by design choices and so when I read the code, I don’t know that it’s a bug because I’m not a dev at Discourse.

Also, if in the future I decide to make a plugin for the forums, will you accept it if it’s going to be in JavaScript?

=)

Do I act like too much of a jerk on the forums?

Since I tend to post when another post annoys me, and put a disproportionate amount of effort into why exactly why I feel like someone is wrong (including tweaking the post hours after I made it to make it sound just right);

Which feels rather rude to bring a paragraph to a short post which may just be a joke or simple misunderstanding.

I don’t think so your post are spaced apart enough that I have never noticed it but it doesn’t hurt to try and have a more positive attitude I guess

Early multicell already has saving while swimming around in the environment. For the late multicellular it will get saving once it is much more done so that major reworks are less likely, because making sure saving works with all changes just slows down development with extra friction.

I can neither confirm nor deny that “goats” have happened during multiple years.

You don’t really know. You just need to do what all other plugin authors need to do: you need to actively maintain your plugin to work with new versions. This is the reason why software is a thing that deteriorates and needs maintenance, external requirements change needing the software to keep up to keep working.

If it is good and likely to be maintained, then yes. Note that Discourse uses ruby on the backend, so any plugin that does anything important has to be written in ruby. For example a JavaScript plugin to modify content visibility or something important like that would be terrible as anyone could easily bypass the plugin.

I haven’t noticed. The only users who personally annoy me on the forums are the ones who use the good old underwater argumentation style where you just spam out a ton of posts that are obviously entirely incorrect if you think about them for one second, instead of actually trying to come up with good arguments.