THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

Nope!

That’s understandable and it’s ok. It’s way better than just saying “you’re wrong lol”, and leaving it at that.

It’s not rude.

1 Like

wait oh no i didnt mean to vote which one i hated more i love senitant plants

You can change your vote.

1 Like

there is? whenever i press go multicell it says i cant save and im not able to

1 Like

If anything you don’t act enough like a jerk, I hate it.

It says you can’t save in most prototypes (implying that you can save in some). You 100% can save while in the swimming around (not the editor) part of early multicellular. That’s been a feature at least for two releases now.

Just curious but what does the admin/moderator/developer thrive forum interface look like(screenshot)?

So should I rather use Ruby to make sure that what I want to make works?

Also, what open-source alternative to GitHub should I use if I wanted to protect my code from Copilot and ChatGPT?

It looks the same as any Discourse forum staff area, only with our custom theme applied to it.

Depends entirely on what you want to change. Discourse, like a ton of web apps use a different frontend and backend language. It entirely depends on the feature where code for it needs to be put, and many features will need both a frontend and a backend component, meaning it needs multiple programming languages. In real world development it is extremely common to work on a project where you need to use multiple programming languages at the same time.

Anything self hosted. And also very important to block public access, because it is entirely pointless if your stuff is still visible publicly on the internet. If you are actually concerned you need to hide your work away so that no one can look at it, which is not very productive to just keep your work away from the world entirely… At least GitLab offers a self hosted option and I think it is the most feature complete, I think another option is something like Gitea, but it is very bare bones.

And a bit of a joke: if you are a beginner you should put your code on Github because the code will be bad for many years while you are learning, so you can poison the AI dataset with bad code.

1 Like

Why would you ever want to do such thing?

1 Like

(evil laugh)

Imagine making an entire group of hackers and programmers making pointless projects with bad code with the sole purpose of poisoning Copilot and ChatGPT.

There might be one project in the future that I would like to keep for myself, yet still keep getting feedback about bad coding habits without AI (like advices from hhyyrylainen).

I feel like you are overreacting like a bunch of artists. It’s pretty silly to argue that AI learning from something, that humans are allowed to learn from, should be banned.

1 Like

dang overeacting like a bunch of artist. you hit hard with that one hh

I was hoping my wording would turn out less harsh, but apparently I just quickly wrote that and posted it…

But yeah, my opinion is that people are way overreacting. Especially programmers. If we had an AI you literally could let write your entire software, that AI would have to be so powerful that it would be able to automate almost every other job. So programmers being scared of AI is pretty silly to me as it is one of the last jobs to be taken over by AI (as programmers will literally be the people creating and tweaking the AI that will slowly take all other jobs).

Honestly, I’m not an expert on AI, but I think at some point a restriction would be made because it’s not like people AREN’T going to notice AI stealing their jobs. Tell me if I’m wrong, cause I’m not an expert.

1 Like

Much better to embrace AI and let humans stop having to work. Non-billionaires just need to stick together so that when we move to a non-working societies, normal people actually get UBI instead of things having to devolve into massive revolts before the elite let the masses live comfortably.

1 Like

@doomlightning oh no! are you okay? :frowning:

I ok
i think
just use to much burning fuel

It’s a nice idea. But most rulers are too afraid of ordinary people getting the idea that it’s reasonable for the majority to have comfortable lives. For now, advancements in technology generally lead to people having to work more, or lose their jobs. But it’s a slow process, and not something to freak out about. The Luddites resisted advancements in machinery, but they made no real difference.

I have still some hope that a functioning democracy somewhere will be able to make it work. After which all other countries where the people are kind of at least in control, will hopefully want the same thing.