The Public Thrive Odyssey Council

So I’m going to rejoin the game now, but my actions per round will be lessened due to time (like 3-4 actions)

Also great ideas as always Evo!

I still feel like waiting somehow.

I feel a vote is in order:

• Resume Game
  • Keep Waiting

0 voters

And New Mechanics:

• Resource Levels
  • Obsolete
  • Too much Demand
  • Hinting
  • Demands
  • Milestones
  • Organizations Effect

0 voters

@blackjacksike @Mr.Pigeon @Evolution4Weak @zenzonegaming @OoferDoofer @MechanicalPumpkin @Nover452 @PositiveTower @Gotor

1 Like

Anyway, the GM will decide.

Too much demand is not really a feature but what happens if there is too much demand and i did not really know where to put it so i just place it in the footnotes

while it is the GM decision i do think it is a good idea to see what other players think right now

i also working on a new feature post for my faction idea

2 Likes

Wait, let’s go back to the Research thread.

1 Like

i feel like this is different as

1. we are on a break so there not going to be much out of game talk
  2. this is for ideas for the current game as we are on a break so we can use this time to think about mechanics and changes without too much worry
  3. It best to put all of my ideas in the same place right now

also obsolete does not really make sense without resource levels
as we don’t track resources, there no reason or no way to make them obsolete

3 Likes

I see that waiting was a good choice, as the spirit for the game has risen and people became interested again. Unfortunately, due to school matters, the game won’t resume right now, but I might write up the new round integrating all these ideas in a week, but it might take longer since I’m going to learn how to use these new mechanics in engaging and fun ways.

So there’s no new round any time soon, but probably in 1-2 weeks when I have more free time.

7 Likes

Hey @doomlightning why did you vote in the polls? are you interested in the game?

yes, i am interested, but idk if i have the mental gut to actually do it

3 Likes
4 Likes

I will do it!! its the way

1 Like

Become a country in western Asia! I want neighbors!

1 Like

I will think about that, need more time

1 Like

Here is a tapestry depicting the history of Mongolia up until Laws were formed.

The symbols on top are the stamps of the ruling dynasty

(the first image is the creation of the world.)

7 Likes

its looks amazing! and well detail

3 Likes

So i am just going to some problems with current design of the game, these are my opinion and so you might disagree with me but if you have ideas to fix these problems please let me know as i don’t have any ideas right now

The progression in the game is moving too fast

Going from tribal to steam engine in only 28 turns is too fast of a progression

The progression of the game is way too rapid for and we are way too far in the “technological tree” for where we should be right now. While being a little bit ahead is fine and expected as this is alternate history and we don’t really have a equivalent to the 2 dark ages. The progression is still too fast even accounting for that and i think there are few reason for why this happened.

While my explosive growth from the meteor did let me to rapidly research technology and get ahead technologically. Mongolia is only a few turns away few turns away to research the steam engine too without any external help.

So the problem is more internal and a problem with the current mechanics then anything that happen in-game. I think the current action system, lack of any real obstacles, and the lack of any other types of progression.

The current way to gain action is very broken as once you build one or two you can very easily just have an explosive growth. While that suppose to happen, there were no real way to stop it or really limit it beside the 10 action limit and the new cities and there were no upkeep/ consequences for it. I think the explosive growth is vital for a sense of progression but with all that new power there needed to be some sort of consequence or new problems to handle.

The lack of problems brings me to my next point of no real problems, the game is very easy which i do enjoy but does not make for a compelling game play beside a power fantasy. The only problems mainly came from other players or just bad rolls which cause events. There needed to be problems to be solved to help distract the player from pure progression.

Which brings me to my final point of a lack of alternative actions. While the game is basically free form but there no reason to do anything but progress, there no real distraction to prevent from just doing that. Which helped to contribute to the rapid progression.

The way forward is not always obvious

The classic problem of “what to do next” or even just “now what”

While the free form nature of the game is arguably one of it strength. There is always a problem of too much freedom which this game have. While i don’t think we should limit the player action i think having some sort of guidance in this game would be appreciated.

One of the reason why this happens i think is the huge amount of actions we have. So solving the first problem can help to reduce this one too.

This one is kind of short as i don’t really know how to address this one so this problem is one where i really wish for your solution to it.

Lack of political strategy

"Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England? " - Civilization V

Right now i feel like there is a lack of any real political strategy in this nation simulator. While we do have trades and war and even alliances, there is not really any in depth interaction with these mechanic. I might be a little biased as i am a isolationist and don’t really seek out other people but i think we need more in depth strategy.

One of the problems i think this happen is the fact that resources are infinite so there are no need for trade, if you can make it yourself. there also have not really been any real war beside the bananarama war as diplomacy has always saved the day. We need some sort of mechanic to push us to trade and war and other kinds of political actions.Our solutions does not even need to be new mechanics we can expand the existing ones.

Battles right now need to be reworked

" War never changes. War is like winter and winter is coming. " - Ulysses S. Grant (maybe…)

With the advent of guns, we are reaching a point where our current battle system does not make sense. But that not the only reason why i think the battle system need to change. The battle system feels X to me which is not bad but i think it can be better.

I am not a aggressive civilization (i never been in a war yet) so maybe my view is skewed. But i think that battles should be more strategic and we should more control over them like being able to set tactics. I think changes should allow more strategy and control over battle beside just preparing for them.

Lack of Strategy in the mid/late game

I don’t know what else to put in these quote section lol

I think the greatest design decision the game had was the population/division of labor system, it gave so much depth in a very simple and easy to understand mechanic. But as the game progresses dividing up your population becomes more and more undesirable as you gain more actions. Which really takes out one the key strategic element of the game.

I think it good that it was faze out as it give a sense of progression and make us feel like we going from controlling a small groups of people to an entire nation. But i think the sense of strategy and optimization game-play is something we should keep

I think adding new mechanics to help add optional strategic elements like the division of labor system would really help with improving the game-play of this stage. I think the early game strategic element was fine but i think the new mechanic should apply to the mid to late game. I think these strategic elements should be optional as some players might not want to deal with that type of stuff and that okay but having it to optimize your nation is a good idea.

Footnotes:

• These are not the only problems or even just the main one but ones that i can think of right now
  • I currently don’t have any solution to these problems so your ideas can really help
  • I don’t think one solution will work and probably take a combination of solutions to fix one problem
  • Sorry for any bad formatting or grammar mistakes as i just made this in one day and did not have time to do any clean up
5 Likes

A possible design for a Hollowsandian war balloon

3 Likes
One other mechanic that could be helpful would be a “saving/checkpoint” mechanic. Every time the current situation is stable, there’d be a checkpoint or save so that if humanity would die in-game (e.g. massive nukes destroying the world), we could go back to that checkpoint.
Also, thanks @Evolution4Weak. You really pointed out those problems. I think that we’ll have to think it through before starting the game.
2 Likes

I dont like your checkpoint idea. I feel that if some world-ending event happens, we should either have to try and stop it, or lose everything.

2 Likes