The Public Thrive Odyssey Council

So I can’t even conquer more villages?

You can conquer more villages, but you can’t create any more until you increase your population.

Do keep in mind that as you progress, nations will get bigger and turn into civilizations, so it may take several turns to capture a single village from a civilization.

So at 300 population I can have 4 villages. If I conquer another village and keep it I’m still capped right?

Also, what benefit do we get from turning into a civ?

Your population grows quicker, and you can form governments to give bonuses, and lots of other stuff. You can check someone who is a civ (like me) to see all the stuff.

@blackjacksike you deleted your division of labor stuff when you put in your action.

Decided to place this here instead

Speaking of conflict, since I can feel one brewing, here’s some trivia on how combat works:

• Soldiers are divided into three unit types: Infantry, cavalry and archery. Depending on how many units each person sends, some types fare better against others. I will be using the rock-paper-scissors model of AoE, so infantry is good against cavalry, which is good against archery, which is good against infantry. Each base unit is good against siege weapons, while siege weapons are good against boats, which are good against every base unit.

• The way the bonus is calculated is similar to the malus when tasks are split between the population. It’s easier to explain with an example. If nations A and B are at war, and A has 40 foot soldiers and 50 knights which he sends against B’s 30 archers, here’s how the bonus would be calculated: Add A and B’s related units together (In this case, cavalry and archery, which would give 80). Then, use the same system to determine the bonus that A would get and the malus B would get. I this case, A would get a +5 and B would get -3.

• Heavy units are also a trade off, where they double their strength, but also their weakness. In the example above, if the archers were heavy archers, since they take double the weakness, they would get -6 instead of -3. If, instead it was A’s knights that were heavy cavalry units, they would get a +10 instead of +5. If both units were heavy, then they cancel each other out and it stays +5 and -3.

• As for how sieges work, once the village is surrounded and the siege is declared, the village now has a timer, determined by a diceroll, before they run out of food or morale, when which they will either starve, losing lots of population every turn, or surrender. Watch out though! Your soldiers might also starve at the same time, so you have to make sure they have access to food as well. While the siege is in effect, the attackers have the advantage, which gives them a +2 and the defenders a -2. And contrary to regular battles, siege battles only determine the number of casualties, never the victory.

3 Likes

What about horse archery? I have almost fifty horse archers which I think should have their own section.

I’ll manage it later since I want to be a civilization soon.

Also, @OmnipotentFNarr, when I become a civilization, do I need to create food action to increase my population every turn?

Your population usually grows with any trade related action, quality of life improvements, as well as specific food related things. I think it slowly goes up without any input.

I thought about it and I think horse archers are closer to cavalry than their own unit type, so they count as a cavalry unit.

They are highly mobile ranged units though. They aren’t built for melee.

ok so will this change when we get to mechanized troops or will they be in one of the categories?

I know this is very far away, but i was curious

It’ll probably change by then, almost all warfare will be ranged.

Can I create another thread in case someone starts spamming his anger? It would avoid 100+ useless posts in this thread.

Why would you make a new thread? This one has quite a while to go before it gets locked

That’s not my point. Remember what happened everytime zenzone started being angry? It would always create a huge and unnecessary discussion, which is frustrating. The new thread would be for that purpose only.

But The Point Of This Thread Is For That, This is where the arguments happen

That is why its called the council as its the place for everyone to try and come up to a solution for a conflict

I thought it was to ask the GM about stuff…

The reason it was a huge unnecessary discussion was because no one thought to just stop and try to figure it out. If they wouldn’t do that, they definitely won’t switch to a different thread. Plus, we already have to many Odyssey threads.

Okay so after this whole war ends zen won’t try to pollute the main thread with his anger and instead post it here?

Don’t get me wrong I like the conflict in the game to some degree because it keeps the game interesting but suddenly declaring war on a nation in the main thread is gonna E X P L O D E.