Thrive Monthly Art Competition

Hey, shouldnt the title of this thread change?

AAAAAAAND the submissions are now over in a few hours. WAAAAAAAAAAAY less people here now. Looks like I have to encourage a lot more. These are basically iterative experiments for me to find what works for me and the community, so sorry if it looks unprofessonal so far. I will try and replicate the first shift, but with slight alterations this time. You still have 12 hours to post something though.

2 Likes

Take 1

2 Likes

This month has been busy since school opened, and I havenā€™t been as pushy and encouraging on the art. We have three artworks, and I feel to comment on how to improve them as a replacement for any prize video, especially with the lower amount of people. Here is the second month poll:

• MechanicalPunking
  • OoferDoofer
  • The Void

0 voters

So let the voting day commence.
Thats weirdā€¦ I have won. Everyone has done a great job. I will give my take on feedback once I complete some schoolwork. Thanks to everyone who voted for me or others.

2 Likes

I would recommend finding some way to remind everyone when the voting is over. Editing your post only bumps this thread to the top of the list, but it doesnā€™t show that there is a new post.

1 Like

So officially, votes are in with me as winner, and mechanicalpumpkin as well as ooferdoofer tailing closely behind. I feel everyone did a great job, though significantly less people have joined. I hope you have enjoyed this round of the monthly art competition!

For feedback, let me start with me. I feel that I was lazy in approach and concept, and rushed it over all, adding weird stringy alien ropes trying to hold a creature. Iā€™m not sure why I felt so lazy this entire month, but it might have been the combination of the dread of schoolwork and my computer. I dont think the actual alien tentacles were executed well either. I feel it couldā€™ve been way improved by iconic octopus like tentacles. The colouring and composition is also dull while the creature seems very colourful. I do wonder if anyone else has something to say about mine.

Mechanical pumpkin coming next, I love the concept even if a bit on the rim of possibility, and I like the lighting of the crystals hitting the environment. I feel like you did a pretty good job at making it look good, though it is a bit hard to tell what is actually going on. First of all, it would be great help if the pose of the creature was in agony, and the crystals were visibly causing harm, perhaps they are conductive while some electric current ran through them, having them shock the creature. I think most of what lacks here is making things clear to the viewer like the background and outlines. Other than that, it is a pretty good piece.

Now for ooferdoofer. I enjoy the simplicity and the idea of the figure oppressing a target to join a side. The piece is good, and very ominous. It is hard to pinpoint what is wrong with it other than the fact it isnā€™t as eyechatching as the rest. Perhaps adding some more context to the picture, like a smirk, or more chains in the background, making the chains more visible. Better shape to the figure could also help people focus on your piece. It is pretty good though none the less.

So I hope this competition taught everyone something. It definetly taught me to encourage people to draw in order to get more people. Also, remember, music, animation, 3d rendering, and most forms of art are allowed for posting, and if you want advice or an idea be for submission, you can ask on the discussion section on discord. Sorry if this was poorly written by the way, Iā€™m typing on a tablet at the moment, and it is quite challenging.

2 Likes

I somehow liked how rushed it looked in a way? It sort of looked like concept art for some movie/game, which I am a sucker for. The background being dull-coloured while the creature was colourful only helped, since that pulled more attention to the creature. Many things I see here have the background be just as saturated as the foreground, if not more, which would often just distract me from the main image.

I still enjoyed their simplicity, it just looks very sci-fi-y. I can completely imagine that creature grabbing a plant with those tentacles, move it to his mouth and slowly chew on it.

2 Likes

And with the October five monthly adjectives! Here we go!:

• Graceful
  • Colourful
  • Round
  • Ugly
  • Organization

0 voters

Erm, so yeah, here it is. Vote on your choice and what you would like to see drawn. No need to let anyone influence your choices, itā€™s all on you.

Pick Graceful

Edit: (Oooooo, what is this I see? A tie? I donā€™t want to do a tie breaker and disappoint the opposing word, so Iā€™ll make ties special and easy. We combine them.)

1 Like

This has confused my plansā€¦

So it looks like weā€™ve hit a tie folks. What does this mean? I wanna do something special: Merging. Iā€™m not entirely sure if this is a good idea, but it seems nice as long as itā€™s only a tie of two. It adds extra challenge too. I suppose this would mean use of a creature that is visibly interesting in itā€™s colour, and graceful in itā€™s looks. The words work together well, so I donā€™t think itā€™ll be too hard. So I guess the contest has begun! Goodluck.

Well, discourse has decided the winner:

1 Like

Yeah, but itā€™s still four by four, and i see it a bit unfair. In my personal opinion, it is either tie breaker or merge.

1 Like

I personally love the idea of a merge.

1 Like

Letā€™s make a poll of what we should do:

• Just choose colourful
  • Tie
  • Merge

0 voters

By tie, in case it isnā€™t clear, it means house a tie breaker

1 Like

When this round is gonna end?

Same as always. Near the 27th. voting day takes two more days.

Thx for the theme (I hope I am right), finally I have after along time of ā€œbreakdownā€ an idea!

I found the Rainbow Pigeon (made from 3 real pigeon)

8 Likes

This is absolutely stunning.

2 Likes

Floridiunda

6 Likes

I am here to clarify two things: Deadline is tomorrow, and Iā€™m giving Lapis and MissTiktaalik some room to take over temporarily since I have things to finish up and canā€™t always be here. Hopefully you welcome your new hosts, and hopefully the change isnā€™t too surprising. Goodluck to all for this round, and many beyond.