Thrive Talk: Plantoid Species

Plant but has mmhydrolic muscles

I actually can’t think of anything preventing these creature from existing that I haven’t solved, because hydrogen bladders completely negate the need to figure out structural integrity.

EDIT: I hope people haven’t forgotten about this thread, I want to see if someone can prove me wrong, but if nobody can it will be fun making plants that dominate the galaxy (once thrive is done, which will take a long time).

i feel like this would evolve on Jupiter or a similar gas giant, that it would have tendons for structural integrity and that it would have the muscles produce excess chloroplasts that are modified to contain oxygen or Sulphur bearing proteins
edit: sorry for the necropost

If you scroll up for a bit, someone had linked some posts, and in those posts they also explained why it would be almost exactly as, maybe less, efficient in a gas giant rather than on a terrestrial planet.

i meant it would probably evolve on a water rich gas giant as opposed to a rocky planet due to lower hydrogen requirements due to higher air pressure

Maybe im not understanding you, but what im saying is gas giants are always made up of lighter elements, and even with higher air pressure it will still be just as hard to float as it is on earth.

H2O and nitrogen with the same percent of nitrogen as in earth’s atmosphere is more dense than earth’s atmosphere

So your saying just a planet with a lot of water vapor? How would that work? Wouldn’t it have to be too hot for liquid water to exist on the surface? I can think of a few major issues.

salt and pressure raise the boiling temp so there could still be liquid water it would just have to be really salty

I guess, but you originally said Jupiter, which doesn’t have much salt, water, co2, or oxygen.

a said or a similar gas giant as well also there are plenty of fires on Jupiter which indicate presence of oxygen and produce water in the case of a hydrogen giant, there could be carbon on similar gas giants and same for salt

I think that would be far from similar, but i guess it could possibly exist, I just don’t see the point, a creature could float on a normal planet using hydrogen, and making it be too hot for normal water just adds extra steps.

i guess but it is denser. alternatively you could have a gas giant exactly like earth’s atmosphere in composition with salt in the water in the middle to stop it from freezing by slipping between the molcules in any ice

How would a gas giant form that isn’t mostly hydrogen and helium? Everything else is so rare.

artificial construction most likely

And here we go into a while separate discussion. Many species and kind of life forms could potentially be made to work - underwater civilizations, space whales, robotic life forms (though the last one differs greatly from the others) - but the question here isn’t could it be made, is it possible; it’s is it naturally possible, could it realistically evolve through natural selection?

Imo evolving on an artificial planet, even if the organism developed naturally, is not natural evolution, as the environment has been custom tailored so that it is able to work for such organisms.

Anyway what I’m trying to say is that the argument isn’t only whether or not it could feasibly exist, but whether or not it could logically and naturally evolve. This takes bioengineering/custom creating planets and the like off of the table, and means it would have to make sense step by step.

Short text wall about this kind of discussion

Tbh while this, space whales, and other arguments are good conversation startersand activity for the forum, I think the best thing to do for all of them is do what Hhyyrylainen has done with underwater civilizations - challenge someone to make a realistic, scientifically plausible argument with math for your ideas(preferably general but specific examples are probably best for this kind of arguement), so that the same ideas aren’t recycled with minimal evidence over and over. Such a thing could be advertised through a pinned thread in the future game topic that lists what subjects require this kind of explanation.

While it is a lot of work to write something like that, it also discourages less informed answers and hopefully allows for a less back and forth going nowhere, and more working out what is wrong with ideas as a whole.

2 Likes

We have the math for plant civs, its just unlikely to happen, one of my posts specifically showed a way it could happen.

i meant for an atmosphere exactly like earth’s it would likely have to be artificial construction but given an infinite universe and infinite time a gas giant with the exact same atmospheric composition as earth could form but assuming it has even slight percentage deviations that vastly increases the chance it will form naturally and assuming differences of even 1 percent that makes it likely enough for it to happen in almost every galaxy and
could easily evolve given an infinite universe with at least 1 gas giant with an earthlike atmosphere per galaxy

I’ll close this thread in favour of funnelling all talk about this to this earlier thread: