Thrive Translation and Correction Office [TTCO]

A child process in computing is a process created by another process (the parent process). This technique pertains to multitasking operating systems, and is sometimes called a subprocess or traditionally a subtask.

Edit: does anyone here have any thoughts on this potential change to translations:

?

2 Likes

I wanted to say that I located what has to be changed in order to resolve this issue, but I’ll leave all the technical language to do it to hhyyrylainen. Anyways, here it is:

Update: I fixed it. The issue is no more and the resolution will appear in the next version of Thrive.

1 Like

Thanks for fixing it.

The translation explicitly has this explanation text: “Used as a number suffix, should be as short as possible, preferably only a single character to fit in the spaces reserved for numbers” So I don’t know how someone managed to translate it as kilograms…

Edit: maybe because the key has “KILO” in it, and the translator didn’t realize it is a general SI prefix and not just a commonly used casual abbreviation of kilogram.

1 Like

In this translation, what does {1} show? Debug log?

“When reporting a save error please include {1} from the logs folder as that is critical information for Thrive developers to figure out what the saving error was. Without that file it will be extremely difficult to diagnose and fix this problem.”

It is the name of a file (debug_log.txt).

Edit: I should clarify that that is the name currently, it is possible that the file name might change at some point, that’s why it is included as a replaceable placeholder in the translation text instead of just directly including the file name.

The translations site is currently closed due to some Weblate software issues. When that is solved or some other approach to making translations (switching away from Weblate) is taken, I’ll let everyone know that translations work can resume. This might take multiple months. If there are some very enthusiastic translators sending changes directly through GitHub is still possible.

What is a ‘forbid response’? Is it Error 403 (Forbidden)?

Most likely yes, you are trying to perform an action not allowed by your account.

If it started recently, it is probably related to the Thrive translation now being in locked for maintenance state.

1 Like

I was asking so I would know how to translate it, but thanks!

Looks like the issue I reported to Weblate got closed as completed (Git fatal: name consists only of disallowed characters when trying to commit translations · Issue #9462 · WeblateOrg/weblate · GitHub) but it is only put in the Weblate 5.0 milestone. So a fix might be on the way but it is scheduled for August 15th which means there’s still some time for us to wait.

I have a question: If I were to do something like this [thrive:compound type="glucose"]V[/thrive:compound], would the “V” be displayed in game as the name of the compound instead of the name from the glossary? If the answer is yes, then this could be used to improve a lot of translations grammatically.

Yes. That’s exactly why the feature exists to allow grammatical modification to the compound names to allow them to fit more naturally in. For Finnish that’s pretty much required to have any chance of the text sounding natural. Of course any other language that also needs or can benefit from this can use this feature.

1 Like

TYSM! Wish I knew that earlier. I think it should be mentioned somewhere on the side once weblate is working again.

It is described in the translation guidelines:

which is linked in the new user info text (that you have to agree to) on Weblate. Though I realize that most people don’t reread that page after they’ve been on there once and we have regularly put more info there.

1 Like

Got it! Now reading through the guidelines, definitely quite a lot has changed since I last read them. But thanks for telling me, now I know where to check first when confusions like that arise in the future.

1 Like

Weblate 5.0 is now 2 days late, 5.0 Milestone · GitHub

I’ll re-check it next week and if it is out then I’ll update to 5.0 and hope it resolves the Weblate git commit fail issue.

And we are back! Thanks to the new 5.0 version of Weblate things are working again.

So it’s time to get back to translating, everyone.

Does anyone know where I can change the top string? Particularly, the last word. I cannot find it on Weblate.

I think it’s a combination of this template: Thrive/Thrive Launcher — English @ Thrive - Weblate: {0} for {1} and Thrive/Thrive Launcher — English @ Thrive - Weblate: {0} (Latest) (and of course the main template for the playing text is: Thrive/Thrive Launcher — English @ Thrive - Weblate: Playing {0}).
By quickly searching I didn’t find the platform texts where those are defined (so the platform names are probably fixed and not changeable).

Thank you. It looks like I already edited the playing text but it doesn’t seem to update it on the launcher.