Unusual technologies

@TeaKing joined to the chat
Somebody said tea? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If we can use dark matter and dark energy to make things not collapse into itself when massive enough, could we build massive space trains and roads with dark energy and dark matter to keep itself from collapsing?

3 Likes

Itā€™d probably be smarter to make it small as possible, though we can use dark energy or space time itself to make it faster.

Please donā€™t reply to posts a long time after they were posted.

1 Like

Oops. [This post has to reach 20 characters]

1 Like

Itā€™s ok if you have something to bring to the discussion but still
But thanks for giving me the opportunity to post here again!
Also
You can just react with a :+1: instead of making a new post

So
Another piece of technology I thought about was making your own artificial star. :thinking: I donā€™t think itā€™s possible but if it is then that would be cool.

1 Like

The big question is why? It is dangerous, costly, and doesnā€™t regularly give much benefit other than heat, since solar energy couldā€™ve been out competed by all the raw material in other planets.

3 Likes

thatā€™s a good question actually :thinking:

thatā€™s why i posted this here tho
if it was useful it wouldnt be considered unusual

ā€œStarā€ here is relative. Stars are balls of gas that go through nuclear fusion to produce energy. So, if you build a fusion plant, would that count as making a star? If you mean literally dumping unbelievably large amounts of gases together to artificially create a star, that is a pretty wasteful idea, as you could just use those gases to make easier to harvest fusion power plants.

1 Like

Fitting with the idea of ā€œUnusual techā€, there is a principle in our reality where it is possible for something to have negative mass. What kind of tech could be made with a substance with negative mass? Anti-gravity comes to mind, but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more that could be done with such a bizarre material.

2 Likes

Perhaps you could store a ton of stuff into one space by making it into negative matter and then turning in it back into positive matter? Thatā€™s one idea I have and I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible

I donā€™t think that this substance will be simple in creating. It evrn may be unstable, then you can forget about something more than few atoms for microseconds. Of course, in future can appear technology to do decay slower, but again we meet the creating problem. To do even grams of this substance you will spend billions of dollars, or even more (and where will you take billions of billions of dollars?). And bigger problem - physical forses. If you, for example, hit the ball with negative mass, it will get the impulse in the direction of the shot. Similar things will happen with gravity, friction and with many other processes where the mass of object has -. I think, we can add it in the Ascension stage, as under the end of space stage. But firstly youā€™ll should explore a lot of technologies to do easier the creating and storing processes. After it can help in the trading (and spaceindustry as a whole). How much money is spent to buy every time banal fuel? With this technology space will not be so costly.

1 Like

When i have ideas for unusual technologies but am too smol brain to actually understand the cost and consequences of them

No seriously, almost all of my ideas here are far too inefficient and costly to even be considered. Guess it shows how much I still donā€™t understand about tech :laughing:

1 Like

Negative Mass is mostly useful for FTL drives like wormholes and Alcubierre drives. Negative mass is the only thing that could allow a wormhole to stay open instead collapsing under its own weight.

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t that antimatter, which is something different from negative mass? (As it still has positive mass.) Iā€™m not sure though, so correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

Antimatter doesnā€™t have negative mass.
Itā€™s theorized that you need negative mass to make stable wormholes (or make them big enough for stuff to pass through), but I donā€™t think like anything is known about stuff that could have negative mass.

In theory, a particle and its anti-particle (for example, a proton and an antiproton) have the same mass, but opposite electric charge and other differences in quantum numbers. For example, a proton has positive charge while an antiproton has negative charge.

1 Like

Negative mass is one of those particles like tachyon particles which have been theorized, but which would also create numerous weird scenarios that donā€™t exactly match with our theories of physics. (The example on wikipedia was that negative mass would repel positive matter, while positive matter would attract positive matter, creating a consistent force from the negative particle to the positive particle. (The total energy would remain constant however))

2 Likes

But tachyon doesnā€™t have negative mass?

Looks like wikipedia says that tachyons would have imaginary mass (or in some models it would be a real number but AFAIK not negative).

1 Like

I meant it more as ā€˜both are particles which have been theorized but have no reason to exist in our model of the universeā€™, not as both having negative mass.

1 Like
Isnā€™t it exotic matter that actually has negative mass?
Welcome back @Omicron, btw.