Unusual technologies

We usually talk about common mainstream technology concepts, such as laser beams, warp drives, etc. But how about tech concepts that do not exist yet, and would theoretically be possible? Tell your ideas!

1 Like
I was thinking of a great machine capable of creating a separate Universe alongside with a portal leading to it. It would be useful if the Universe would ever come to an end.
3 Likes

How about the antiverse. It is a real theoretical concept (there are proofs for it). The antiverse is like our universe, but time is reversed and matter is exotic antimatter. If we had access to it somehow, we could perhaps use it to create anti-gravity and even an Alcubierre drive. The problem is that we would need to create an Einstein-Rosen Bridge, which requires exotic [anti]matter (i.e., exotic [anti]matter requires exotic [anti]matter).

3 Likes

What about a machine that absorbs dark *energy and converts it into energy?

4 Likes

Wouldn’t entering the anti verse destroy you? I mean, if I remember correctly, if antimatter and matter meet each other, they cancel each other out and disappear, right?

3 Likes

@OmnipotentFNarr Well, your ship could use magnetic technology around the ship, making us safe. That already exists, and it is used to stock antihydrogen atoms.
@The_Void It depends on how much energy dark matter produces. However, we do not know what dark matter is, yet, so we can not figure it out.

4 Likes

I’ve got an idea! how about a machine that changes the gravity of a certain place?

4 Likes

That machine would need to be able to create paragravity and anti-gravity. Anti-gravity can be formed using exotic matter or Casimir vacuum. Paragravity could destroy spacetime, perhaps. That would be similar to “gravity”, because it would attract stuff.

3 Likes

Artificial gravity would make Alcubierre drives possible. That would have major impacts in society if it already controls some dozens of stars. Incredibly fast expansion would start.

2 Likes

How about unusual FTL methods? We usually hear about the Alcubierre drive, wormholes, etc, but what are some unusual FTL methods ideas?

Perhaps dimensional-hopping? Or is that just wormholes?

1 Like

I think it would depend on what kind of artificial gravity. Artificial gravity could very well be generated by centrifugation.

Also, try not to double post (even though, I’m not the best person to say that). Edit your post instead. If your post was the last one and if you edit it, the thread will appear in the list of recent threads on the forum main page.

1 Like

Centrifugal force is not gravity though. Sure, it has the same effects in day-to-day life, but it is still a totally different phenomenon. Also, it only works in space, where there is no conflict with mobility and gravity. (For example, you can’t exactly build a working one here on Earth to simulate zero-G, since in half a rotation Earth’s gravity will be on the other side.

5 Likes

What about FTL travel, by sending a tiny FTL drone where you want to go, and then teleporting the main ship (or solar system) to the drone?

2 Likes

FTL is not an unusual technology. It’s in fact very popular in scifi. We even have dedicated thread for it:

Check out especially that linked document for a list of FTL methods: STARFLIGHT in Science Fiction - Google Docs

1 Like

Would it be possible to eject heat from a ship by cooling down the habitable area with the fuel, and then using the fuel to get rid of the heat?

1 Like

Possible Endgame tech, but only available for a species that has converted fully into mechanical bodies, or have some sort of sanctuary - Halo Rings. You could have individual ones be able to knock out entire sectors of space, entirely eliminating all life on those planets. Or, after constructing enough of them, activate a galaxy-wide eradication of life(mainly for a species that is widely outgunned by its interstellar neighbors, or lacks the ability to expand for any number of reasons). This would have to be very expensive, both to research and to construct, but an interesting idea nonetheless.
In regards to space travel, perhaps something that folds space and time, causing the fleet to instantly jump to a designated system. This would have to be either a later-game tech, or implemented with a limited distance that can be upgraded in the future. Essentially, this tech would cause a dimensional fold, and then poke a small hole in space-time so then the fleet could enter. Some interesting later-game events can then happen, like the formation of a supergiant blackhole in some of the star systems most traveled to.

3 Likes

About warp drive, i like the web from Stellaris. And, a network of hyperspace corridors can be explained with gravitational effects from stars or even black holes. More than, corridors can have many levels of danger. Green - smallest chance of failure and losing of spaceship. Yellow - 20-40% of failure. Red and brown - 40 -55% and 55-80% of failure. Green will be most popular for anybody. But, in some unexpected occasions, warriors (for example during the war) will have a choice. Go on long, but safety way, or short, but have big chance to lose many ships. I think, it’s interesting thing, can be realised more or less easy.
@Blackwell, interesting idea about events, but it mustn’t appear in every game. Chance of that event must be really small (something like 0,005% for 1 game). Or simply create a stabilizing assembly, will be explored in middle game.

1 Like

I wonder if a blackhole bomb will be possible…

3 Likes

A mechanism that is so utterly pointless in function, yet the pinnacle of understanding the universe: A giant kettle that doesn’t collapse into a sphere by using dark energy and dark matter. I’m telling you, once we build one of these, we’ll have so much tea, and the universe theory.

3 Likes