What does Belguiming mean?

Like… I’m Russian, and I use a translator who doesn’t know this word. So when someone writes “CRUSH THIS BELGIAN PLANET [description of changing the planet in various ways]”, I get a little confused, and until I turned off the translator, I thought there was some special relation to Belgium. If someone can, without using untranslatable phrases, explain what this word means, I will be very grateful

2 Likes

In a book called the hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, the American version of the radio show that it was based on, and the movie, the word Belgium is the most vile obscene exclamation in the Galaxy. The old forums had a censor that replace all obscenities with Belgium, but now people just self-censor out of kindness.

2 Likes

If you see the word Belgium somewhere odd, it’s because of our forum censorship. When members attempt to use profanity, our forums gently nudge their foul mouths in a more correct direction with this charming Douglas Adams reference.

I don’t think we have these censorship anymore on our modern forums and really more of a tradition than anything

More information on Belgium as used in Hitchhiker guide to the galaxy

4 Likes

Imagine sometime in the future, thrive gets cancelled for prejudice against Belgians

5 Likes

I know nothing about Belgium aside from Belgian waffles, French fries, Douglas Adams, Netherland-like north vs france-like south, something about an orange prince (inbreeding will really mess you up) and also pages of Belgium slander and hate speech. I honestly don’t know why.

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s clear now. I imagine a Belgian walking in here who doesn’t know about this reference and is, to put it mildly, surprised

2 Likes

Did you know Belgium banned lootboxes

3 Likes

Yes. Makes sense I hate loot boxes. It’s pay to win plus gambling.

Heheh I honestly would want to be there for that.

As far as I remember, the well-known Spore is sent to the same book (if you are on this forum and don’t know about Spore, it’s amazing)? We have it called a little differently, “Hitchhiking on Galaxy”, so I had to check if it was another book from the same author

4 Likes

This thread got bumped due to a spammer (that was deleted), but this is pretty relevant now with belgiumposting being back on the forums.

2 Likes