What does the world's largest cell taste like?

The species name is Valonia ventricosa
Since DNA tastes salty, I expect a salty flavor.
Can anyone give more info on that.

4 Likes

The worldā€™s largest cell is actually the ostrich egg yolk. Itā€™s not alive, but it is still a cell!
I hear ostrich eggs pretty much taste like chicken eggs, so Iā€™m going to assume the yolk tastes similar too.

3 Likes

Well it is alive if you arenā€™t eating it. Most eggs people eat are stored in lethal ways, possibly chemically treated (this is common in the US for people scratching their heads, plus itā€™s not to kill the yolk but the microbes you donā€™t want to kill you), and definitely not fertilized. If it were to be fertilized and in a safe environment the yolk could totally be alive, but wouldnā€™t be a good idea to eat.

DNA isnā€™t the majority of the mass cytoplasm, and especially in a bigger cell, cytoplasmic support structures like protein and lipids are. Lipids taste oily or gummy raw, greasy or oily cooked, protein tastes horrible raw but rich and tasty cooked, and I have no idea what cytoplasm tastes like. From what I can tell that critter would taste like salty, oily goo.

1 Like

Ohhh, yeah, I was referring to the fact it isnā€™t an ORGANISM. A lot of things are ā€˜aliveā€™ but not in the same way. Similar to a virus. They donā€™t live at all, but itā€™s considered ā€˜liveā€™ when itā€™s active and ā€˜deadā€™ when itā€™s not. An egg yolk isnā€™t actually alive because itā€™s not an organism, but it IS alive in the sense that itā€™s active until itā€™s ā€˜killed.ā€™

Yā€™all over here talking about what they would taste like while Iā€™ve been still trying to wrap my head around that there is single celled organisms that big for a while now, itā€™s amazing. Every time I see a picture of one of them It justā€¦ Baffles me lol.

But yeah Iā€™d be down to eat one, as long as it didnā€™t kill me, pass me some salt and pepper

They look cute actuallyā€¦

2 Likes

It looks like a ball of stink

1 Like

How large is it? Iā€™ve heard of these before;

These are Acetabularia, theyā€™re single cells which only have 1 nucleus and can be up to 10cm tall.

And I thought they were the biggest with a single nucleus (As some species of Algae are single celled and 6 feet long but have multiple nuclei) but this one could be larger for all I know (not good at estimating sizes like from the picture above so I canā€™t tell)

But that is tall, but not ā€œmeatyā€ like the one I mentioned, since I am primarily savoring the cytoplasm.

I would be the guy who mistakes this for a weird looking grape and eat it

I did a bit of research and I found this discussion on the Reef Central forums (Itā€™s about Valonia macrophysa, though):

3 Likes

CONCLUSION:
if cells are salty, humans are aswell :moyai::+1:

2 Likes

i mean. yepp. I knew that.

I know what she is talking about, but wont tell anyone because I will leave you hanging :sunglasses:

I actually didnt even mean that but i mean in those cases itā€™s like entirely sweat and other fluids that cause salty.

so thatā€™s why [redacted] tastes salty . . . yes i am leaving this for yall to interpret
for the invisible text trick use dark mode and put[color=#] (example text)[/color]

ayo what the sussy baka, is that what I think it is?

probably
(filler text)

And different proteins have different amino acids sequences, so different tastes! :musical_note:hihi haha hihihoho :musical_note: :notes: :santa:

By the way, we should rather talk about cytosol, which is the cellā€™s gooey inards. Cytoplasm is the combination of organelles AND cytosol. According to wikipedia, cytosol is made up of 70% of water and 30% of ions and organic molecules. Its pH is neutral, so I donā€™t expect it to taste acidic nor bitter. My conclusion: it probably taste like water, but with a gooey texture. Not delicious.

What do you mean you knew that? You ever ate a human before? Why not a headcrab?

well is it sus though?
did you not mention it to abide with the forumā€™s rules?