What was the strangest/bizarre/scary thing that happened during your gameplay

So… I’m making an iceberg about Thrive on the Iceberg charts, but for some reason it seems like no one has ever reported weird things that could be placed at the bottom of an iceberg so i made a thread for it

5 Likes

An example of something terrifying in game is The banana biome
Straight up horrifying
Almost died from a heart attack after seeing it

6 Likes

I’m sorry if this story isn’t too interesting, but a while back (i think it was early to mid 2021) I was doing a game of Thrive where I tried to survive in the abyss biome. I remember the game for some strange reason just started spawning members of my species at lightspeed on the screen, and eventually there was so many that I actually had to shut down my computer because Windows had completely frozen up. It was rather odd.

1 Like

The abyss was tired of looking back and started fighting back.

1 Like

This

2 Likes

I’ve seen those weird pink orbs in my game too! I think it’s something to do with the toxin clouds, because of the similar colour. Maybe it’s failing to spawn properly?

i believe that has been diagnosed and it spawns at the coordinates 0, 0. Forgot what it was tho

1 Like

It’s a perfect thing to put on the iceberg though. Layer: [TO BE DETERMINED]; Entry: Pink orbs

1 Like

I could have sworn there was an open issue about that, but I can’t find one no matter what keywords I use. That is most certainly (well not 100% sure, but pretty sure) a case where somehow the toxin particle emitters appear at 0,0 coordinates for a brief second.

Summary

grox entered thrive universe

I distinctly remember a big hubbub when people noticed cells of the same species tended to clump up together in big masses and people all instantly assumed that the AI had just learned how to make it’s own multicellular organisms or something like that and it just turned out to be a bug.

I was convinced we were witnessing the singularity unfold

1 Like

this was back in 0.5.5 i believe, in every trip to the editor i would stare at the species population statistics for a while but one time the population of a species randomly(?) increased to 100k, one generation to another (i think they only had a few thousands before that)
they were so populous i couldn’t see the other species in the graph…

When I was playing last month, My little cell was just walking (maybe floating? idk). Then I saw a little thing that doesn’t look like any kind of thrive cells or ore. Then I recognized what it is. It’s the ducky in spore! I means, the cyan thing which will appear at about 2/3 of your cell stage progress. I controlled my cell to walk there and ate it. No any nutrition. It just disappeared.

I keep running out of glucose so i have to use cheats. My microbe is rather generalist, a mixotroph, even, you could say it’s an omnivore! But no matter how many chloroplasts i put on, i cant make myself sulf-sufficent at the one-cell phase. (For reference, i am in multicellular) two or more is fine though. Is being a generalist okay in the rulebooks? Because i just wanted access to all resources in the game (including Glucose, Ammonia, Phosphate, Iron, Hydrogen Sulphide, OxyToxy, and Mucilage)

1 Like

i’d recommend not having chemoplasts and chloroplasts on the same cell unless you are in an area with light and hydrogen sulfide.
also that should be in a different thread because there is nothing strange, bizarre, or scary happening based on what you said

1 Like

The Spore-like cell is actually a really cool secret that was added into the game a few updates ago! It used to be quite common, but I’ve not encountered it myself for some time, so it’s cool that you managed to spot it!

2 Likes

Only in the RC for that release was the Easter Egg spawn rate high. We got quite many people seeing it roughly once in 30 minutes, so the spawn rate was halved so that it should take approximately one hour to find the Easter Egg.

2 Likes

Oh, thanks, but i really only have one chemoplast.

So you mean that I’ve found a rare easter egg? wow!
ps: the ducky I found is dead- is this also a setting?

1 Like

The Ducky cell in Thrive doesn’t really swim around and interact with other cells, but if you look closely you might be able to see it’s little flagellum waving a little! Another neat thing about the Ducky cell is that if your cell is big enough, you can actually engulf the cell!

(here’s a screenshot i took a little while ago of my multicellular organism engulfing a ducky cell!)

1 Like