0.4.1 Release Candidate testing

We are moving back to making release candidates (RC) before releases. Help us test 0.4.1 before the official release by downloading the release candidate below.
0.4.1 will be released March 30, 2019 (https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/milestone/10)

Here are the links for the RC:
Linux: https://boostslair.com/files/thrive/Thrive-0.4.1.0-rc1-LINUX-generic.7z
SHA3: 6e03d62dab919691d7506e577af25201faf534dc574fa2d90ddac7e0ae3ea73e
Windows: https://boostslair.com/files/thrive/Thrive-0.4.1.0-rc1-WINDOWS-64bit.7z
SHA3: 5336464feb54ff31fa4db5ff66f6ebba02a7ca47f48e5e5438e86bcc3799b4f9

Thrive system requirements
Windows: Windows 7 or Windows 10. Intel HD graphics 4000 and older don’t work. Visual Studio 2015 runtime
Linux: glibc 2.28. Nouveau drivers for Nvidia don’t work

If you get a crash please upload the .dmp file somewhere and provide a link. The RC release doesn’t have debugging symbols uploaded to the crash handling tool so it won’t work.

These are the preliminary patch notes:

• Background texture loading should be fixed (aka the banana biome)
  • Compound clouds should now work for players with AMD graphics
  • Player starts now as a prokaryote and the nucleus can be added in the editor
  • Membrane bound organelles are now locked without a nucleus
  • Added new organelle for metabolising iron
  • Added big and small floating iron chunks that emit iron
  • Cells now break into chunks on death that slowly release the compounds
  • Rebalanced organelles
  • Reorganised organelles in the editor
  • Fixed organelle placing being offset from the mouse in the editor
  • Improvements to the AI
  • Engulfing is now dependent on visual size instead of organelle count
  • Osmoregulation and cell drag are now calculated per hex instead of per organelle
  • Compound cloud visuals have been improved
  • Cell graphics have been improved
  • Backgrounds have been improved
7 Likes

Yay update. My first playthrough gave me multiple toxix bacteria, so I ended up having a blast playing as a scavenger and trying to eat as many organelles of dead cells as I could before running away from the bacteria.

One question though: why would you add a nucleus? Any organelle you unlock by adding it are already replaced by prokaryotic structures. I ended up playing without a nucleus in the entire game. Not even storage was an issue, since cytoplasm add storage too. Adding nuclei would probably just slow me down too.

Last of all, get rekt scrubs

EDIT: forgot to mention one issue: It got really laggy, with frames reaching under the 20 in particularly hectic situations. Might be because of the high amount of organelles floating around, since one of the toxic bacteria didn’t actually consume its prey.

2 Likes

They are not all replaced and the eukaryotic ones are more efficient.

The clouds look a lot better now. In 0.4.0 they were abnormally pixelated for me, but now they’re back to normal, i.e. closer to how they looked in 0.3.4. Nice job.

The hitboxes of the iron chunks are sometimes a little off. For instance, I’m touching the chunk in the following image. The rest of it was fine, just that side.

My flagella stopped moving for some reason. I think I had the same problem in 0.4.0. It happened after I died and respawned, both shortly after adding my first flagellum in the editor. I can provide logs if they’re useful for this issue.

2 Likes

Note:
Chunks can also be engulfed (All chunks,. including iron chunks) if you are the right size.

1 Like

The chunks use just spheres as the collision model.

That’s an interesting point about “why would you add a nucleus?” I’ll reflect on it a bit.

I think firstly it’s great if prokaryotic life feels like a cool way to play that is self sufficient, that’s great. I mean loads of life stays prokaryotic because it’s good. It’s also nice if both types are balanced.

Secondly yeah there should be some attractions there which you need a nucleus for, which is definitely doable I think. I mean you’ll need it to progress to later stages so that’s one reason in itself.

4 Likes

Yeah I didn’t really know how to phrase it, but I meant that you don’t unlock any new functions. Anything from chemosynthesis to photosynthesis to cellular respiration has already been added by the prokaryotic structures already. The only issue was the absence of vacuoles for storage, but that stopped being too much of an issue once I realised cytoplasm gave a rather large bonus too. Without a nucleus you work with way smaller amounts anyway, so things like storage isn’t aren’t big issues either. (Reproduction goes faster too)

One thing I just realised was this: how come the AI bacteria have access to toxic vacuoles, even though they’re prokaryotic structures?

Those are actually oxytoxy producing proteins, and we simply havent allowed the player to add them and they dont have their own model, much liek nitrogen fixing proteins. They have been rebalanced aswell though so that will happen eventually.

When you add the nucleus you double your cell size (and add a bunch of new hexes) so you can engulf many more things, including the (small enough) iron chunks. So if you are playing as a predator, I think there’s a definite advantage to adding a nucleus.

I could already eat the smaller chunks without nucleus. The big ones were not possible, but I don’t think those will ever be without cheating.

Rather scary laughter sounds

1 Like

Nah its doable you just need a ridiculously large cell, in fact someone already did it

3 Likes

Wait what… I though that was just a theoretical possibility. Well damn.

EDIT: Uhh okay quick question: How in the actual fuck? I’ve played for two entire hours and I only got to size 87, while I’d imagine you’d need at least 150 for the bigger chunks. My PC almost crapped itself because of the lag, and it would go into a state of ‘not responding’ for half a minute each time you went to the editor.

You can already do it with a size of 87 hexes, as when you double your size before reproducing, you will get up to 174, which is enough, since the necessary size is as you said correctly 150 hexes

1 Like

Huh… Well now I know what to do after the exam week.

Hey, I tried the new build and I haven’t had major problems so far. The game had a long hang when I tried to enter the editor the fifth time, but after a few seconds it continued without crashing.

Chasing iron is a fun new playstyle, but I do have to ask: What exactly are you trying to represent with this process? The process you have in game right now is: Iron ions + CO2 -> ATP, but in reality bacteria that derive energy from iron use something more similar to: Iron ions + O2 → ATP (just the compounds relevant to the game). That’s why they’re iron-oxidizing bacteria. Some of these bacteria also use this energy to do: Iron ions + CO2 -> glucose, but this is more for growth than for energy production, and would require the glucose to be oxidised in anoter “organelle”.

So basically the rusticyanin should use O2 instead of CO2, or work just like the chemosynthesizing protein.

The game runs the pseudo auto-evo system when entering the editor and if it decides to generate new epic cells (with a lot of organelles) it can take quite a few seconds to generate.

@Untrustedlife

We contacted actual microbiologists when we implemented it. Oxidizing is called oxidizing but actually doesn’t have anything to do with (you can “oxidize” without O2) (undergo or cause to undergo a reaction in which electrons are lost to another species., that’s the chemical definition) in terms of autochemolithotriphic bacteria on earth oxidizing is simply stripping positive ions from iron to have the energy to convert c02 into ATP directly. These organisms can derive all their cellular carbon from carbon dioxide, and they are thus able to grow without any organic compounds and without light. Such microorganisms are called chemolithotrophs or chemoautotrophs. Chemolithotrophic life is possible in the presence as well as in the absence of molecular oxygen. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/9780470015902.a0021153

Though there are cases where it is using oxygen as an electron acceptor. But that’s not all cases and we wanted it distinct from our current hydrogen sulfide based chemosynthesis.

I was researching this for over a week before implementing it.We did our homework on this, anyway.

1 Like