0.5.8 Release Candidate Testing

Are the ice particles locking you in place like they’re incredibly massive objects or is it more that it applies continuous damage as you move with it stuck on you?

Both represent obvious problems, with the former pretty easy to fix and the latter especially annoying. Perhaps for ice particles under a certain size, they can shrink as they apply damage until they disappear so you’re not just carrying along tiny invisible spikes as a larger cell. Obviously, once they get to a certain size, that effect shouldn’t apply since the ice particles would theoretically be more rigid and set if they got so big.

this, and they damage me when im hung up on them, making them extremely annoying.

2 Likes

Ah, I guess I didn’t test that very low on ATP warning that it worked correctly…

Ice is kind of actually meant to be a problem because it’s the only patch with that kind of hazard. It would be pretty lame if it wasn’t actually any dangerous…

it’d be nice if a tiny spec barely visible didnt make your multicellular organism come to a full stop and damage you

Perhaps the current small ones could be less of a hazard the larger you are, and there could be larger ice shards that serve the same purpose.

2 Likes

get health, embrace plant

I’m not against that idea if it allows you to replace one prokaryotic organelle such as the metabolosome.

It seems like I’m struggling to start the program, although I’m not sure if it’s because I’m doing something dumb or if it’s because of my computer being dumb.

Does the link download a notepad? When I click on the file, it just opens up a notepad then appears to be loading but doesn’t do anything. If I click on it, the system says the program is not responding. Am I being dumb?

I think you need to extract the file with a program such as 7zip, then open a game file with the thing labled “thrive” in the new folder created after extracting it. Or, you could simply click on the thing labled “thrive” to just go from there i think.

1 Like

It doesn’t, it only leaves you with 30 MP

Oh it downloads as an uncompressed Notepad.exe file already, I just don’t see an option to extract it at all. Unless I’m completely missing the point.

Nevermind, it does say it is a 7z file. I’ll try it out and report.

Got it, thank you all. To those who run into a similar problem even if they downloaded 7zip, right click the 7z download file and go to “show more options”. You’ll then find “7zip” and from there you can extract it to a folder.

1 Like

Good that it got solved, but how messed up is your Windows setup if it wants to open a compressed file with notepad?

2 Likes

I think i will attempt to make a parasitic organism.

we have a time traveling organism on our hands.
(its actually just 2 species lines that are the same color touching)

1 Like

I can confirm that spikes don’t work when you are multicellular

Guys, not to alarm you or anything but civ stage is already implemented, i just made a house made of iron.

3 Likes

Parasitism isnt implemented. I agree it should be added tho.

Yeah I was really confused that people were extracting a notepad file, threw me for a loop.

The game works very well for me. One thing I’d like to bring up is that it sounds like some sort of audio bug is going on with clicking occasionally happening, although I’m not exactly sure what causes said bug. I also feel like the starvation noise can be turned up a bit, but other than that, I have no significant problems to report. Great job.

Also, did auto-evo improve with this update? I got my butt kicked a lot this time around.

Seems to run well so far! Finished a second game into at least 15-cell organism, and no crashes encountered.

Is movement for colonies and multicellular confirmed to be working correctly? Total mass is definitely being increased, but I’m not sure if the flagella are adding up, you seem to get slowed down quite a lot (even when extra cells are facing the same direction).

My idea behind the change was to make it feel less like the nucleus took up an entire editor session with no other changes, while still remaining rather expensive. It leaves you with 30 MP which you can use to buy cheaper parts like cytoplasm or a pilus. You can also use that spare MP to rearrange your cell to better fit around the big ol’ nucleus.

Thank you for bringing this up! It’s undoubtedly an interesting problem ,and something I’ll try and figure out in the coming days. Ice shards should probably be far less lethal at that size, else snow would be very scary…

4 Likes

There definitely needs to be a physics revamp, it would solve issues like this and the issue with (almost) infinite turn speed

Someone reported that the pilus works only if your first cell also has a pilus. I haven’t had time yet to fully investigate.

There were some changes yes, and also the balance changes probably affected it a bit. One thing to note that multicellular life is currently exempt from auto-evo as I didn’t have time to get that done.

This is the first time the new colony mass and movement changes are being used by many people, so perhaps there are bugs in it? @Kemikal