I played through the game 3 times, Descending twice. I didn’t get to Ascension on the last attempt, but got to Society Stage.
Performance (This is generally low on my hardware, as I don’t have a graphics card. I generally consider anything at or above 30 fps to be fine): The opening video is running well, and rarely drops below 60fps. I dropped to 14 fps on the main menu. The microbe intro video was also a bit slow, at 23 fps. In game speed is good at 40-50 fps. Rocket launches were extremely slow. They were showing about 2 FPS, but seemed to progress at a slower speed than that. Each one took maybe 10 minutes (this was after clicking to launch). Movement in single-cell sometimes seemed to stutter quite a lot, even if the framerate was reasonable. This was only really noticeable on the first playthrough.
Sound: I was getting quite frequent audio pops in the Vents area, becoming very frequent (several per second) by the third session (before 300My). Sometimes while attacking, sound effects (pilus hits, feeding, etc.) would stop playing for a couple of minutes. It seemed like there were no sound effects at all during that time.
AutoEvo: It seemed that more species were appearing, with an initial 3 species splitting off at 100My on 2/3 playthroughs. On the first playthrough, there was also very little difference between the 3 species. This might be complete coincidence, though.
At one point in single-cell, I got the ‘Editor is now ready to be entered’ message when the ammonia and phosphate bars became full, and immediately, my cell became unable to move from the spot, although it could rotate. I was able to go to the editor as normal.
When I had a small, round cell with a chemoreceptor at the front, I added a flagellum to the back, but in the Membrane tab, the chemoreceptor had was now showing at the back of the cell, overlapping the flagellum (the placement in the Structure tab hadn’t changed). This disappeared when I undid all the changes to the cell. When I added a flagellum again in the same editor session, the issue repeated. When I continued from the editor, the cell looked normal.
Engulf tutorial is still showing a line to an engulfable object after the object has just disappeared.
I was getting a lot more crashes on the multicell stage. Again, this was mostly on the first playthrough, for some reason.
One of my saves in multicell was actually a copy of a previous save. I think that after clicking ‘Save’ from the pause menu, I clicked on a previous save, then changed the number in the top bar, to make a new one. I got the ‘Save Successful’ message, but when I later tried to load that save I had just made, it was actually at a point several saves back, the save I had made just before going multicellular. In the Load menu, the new save had the same image as the older save. I’m sure I didn’t click on the pre-multicell save when making the new save. I’m not sure what happened to the duplicated cell file now, unfortunately.
In one multicell session,I had a bug where my ‘mouth’ cell would not engulf. Both the Stem cell and the Mouth cell had Double Membrane, but the Mouth would not engulf, even though the Stem cell did. After the Mouth was removed by an enemy cell, and then I grew another, that one would also not engulf. After the next editor session, it was working fine.
Once in Space, the Rocket is stuck at an odd angle.
The word ‘Possess’ is misspelt on the ‘Possess a member of Your Species’ button (written as posses ).
In one playthrough, I got the same texture error on macro stage as during the last release candidate.
One of the times I changed to Society stage, I got the ‘Patch Extinction’ message. I had to click on a previous patch, before the popup went away, and I then advanced.