Acid organelles

I’ve been playing for a while and I absolutely love real world animals that seemingly break physics, as such I like pushing what the game can do and currently I have a silicate cell walled apex predator, we’re bigger and faster than any other eukaryotes in the patch so far, I’m curious though if in multicellular we’ll get a means to produce acids as either a defensive measure or in my case breaking down the poor unfortunate souls I’ve murdered into digestible resources, because while letting the organelles breakdown over time is working, smaller scavengers keep trying to steal the food right out of my pseudo mouth. Doesn’t end well for the thieves the usually get stabbed to death and join the mass of undigested food, but it is crashing the environment

3 Likes

Digesting organisms outside of one’s body is not necessarily a rare strategy in the natural world…

So instead of just producing oxytoxy which would either give players toxic skin, poisonous flesh, or a venomous bite based in later stages, we would need the player to have an alternative, like a tweaked lysosome? In the microbial stage I suppose it would be an upgrade to a lysosome or something that enables releasing it’s contents to break down adjacent cells, but I feel like that would just become analogous to toxic flesh in later stages… hmmm.

Whatever the case, it’s an interesting thing to think about!

3 Likes

From a lore standpoint the acid might be a similar compound to oxytoxy that can be absorbed safely into a creature with your DNA but reacts with other DNA to produce acid.

I’m not sure this is possible in science but there might be a real world animal that does this.

We aren’t making a game with lore in it. We are trying to stick to scientific accuracy, and to me acid being incorporated into DNA sounds just completely wrong.

Wouldn’t the acid just damage the DNA?

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, there are animals that DO shoot acid or have acid abilities such as the Bombardier Beetle or Redwood Ant. They have means of storing the chemicals without harming their own bodies, so it could be a possibility.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Hanroz!

Isn’t DNA an acid itself (deoxyribonucleic acid)? Please correct me if I’m missing something.

DNA is between 5-9pH, it varies depending on what part. The more neutral parts would be damaged in some compacity

1 Like

Ok I think it would evolve form slava glands or the stomach