Ancient civilization ascension gate

This is sorta the plan I have regarding my concept for the ascension gate creation process. Depending on the personality types of AI civilizations (I’ll use two that fall under religious as examples) will determine how they react to the construction of the gate. A civilization that is a normal religious type will be interested in the gate and might even provide some assistance in construction, material gathering or defense. A zelot civilization however would perceive the gate to be a threat to their religious beliefs and will launch countless attacks against the players ascension gate. Not even being allied with the civs that will attack you over the ascension gate will prevent them from attacking your gate as they will naturally grow to hate you the further along the progress of the gate is.

I have some more ascension ideas. Vote for the ones you liked

Black hole ascension: You move to the central black hole in the galaxy (like spore) and construct a black hole bomb. The spaceships destroyed by the explosion send their crews to ascension.
Advantages: it incentivises space exploration

Genetic ascension: You research the accelerated regions* in the genomes of civilised and awakening species to see which direction evolution needs to go in order to get even more intelligent. You need to collect a primitive sample and an evolved sample from 30(?) species. There is no ascension gate. As you collect samples, your species (and also your captain) becomes more intelligent and gains psychic powers.
Advantages: it incentivises space exploration and investigating the evolutionary history of different planets by digging for fossils, finding fossils like a treasure or getting that information from another civilisation by purchasing, having good relations or stealing. And in thrive galactic adventures, it gives a sense of progress, you can play harder quests as your captain gets more psychic powers

• Genetic ascension
  • Black hole ascension (galactic center)
  • Black hole ascension but you can turn your star into a black hole
  • Religious ascension (prayers charge up the ascension gate)
  • None of these

0 voters

no such thing as psychic powers exists so to put them in a science based game is weird
and that also sounds like warhammer and stellaris territory lol

the blackhole ascension idea is weird
its practically the ascension gate but simpler, since i dont imagine such a bomb requiring as much resources as an ascension gate, and the only difference is that the blackhole bomb is in the center of the galaxy (which could also be a limitation for where the gate is built in the future versions of the game)

2 Likes

I think telepathy like in the Vortigaunts from HL2 is plausible, but stuff like telekinetics is completely impossible, unless you’re playing as an electromagnet.

i think of telepathy as shaking an unseen and currently undetectable(by us humans)field at specific frequencies to relay data which is far more possible than moving things without touching them but can be used to make things move things for you

2 Likes

Ah yes, the electromagnet. The most sentient thing in existence, lol.

About the Poll:
Also, I feel that the ascension gate shouldn’t be majorly attached to religion. Thrive is meant to be scientific and while religion will certainly be in the game, the ascension gate should likely be a more science based (well as close as we can get to it) and be fully constructed and then powered (possibly by stars or nuclear power)

2 Likes

I agree about the religion thing presented above purely because as Juuzo said, Thrive is based around science.

Creatures utilizing Magnetic Manipulation would be interesting, like as an example some organ that let you use a biological form of Magnetic Levitation or something. No idea how viable it would be in an actual creature tho lol. That’s off topic tho

2 Likes

it would also be more useful for flight than telekinesis but be completely useless on planets with no magnetosphere

We already have examples of countries with nuclear bombs helping other countries develop nuclear bombs (humanity-ending power)

So why should it be the only “option” that Ascended cultures want nobody else to ascend ever? This isn’t realistic or justified.

I don’t think that “player’s species is the first one to ascend” is a necessary conclusion at all.

What if time control was how you ascend? You could just go back in time and stop other civilizations from ever advancing as much as you, or you could just go back to the universe before them, so then nobody could bother you while you develop true ascension. Developing the technology could require massive experiments that other civilizations could detect, which would likely result with some, but not all, of civilizations trying to stop you. Powering such a device would require masive amounts of energy, so maybe you would have to use a black hole bomb, but harvesting zero point energy might be more viable.

Time travel is an extremely complicated thing to even think about. Not to mention how hard it would be to turn into a game feature.

1 Like

it would also almost necessarily make your world singleplayer unless other people time travelled at the same time as you or the computer would need to see the future to relay the correct information which would basically mean the world gets split into two worlds so if it does get added it wouldn’t be able to operate on the most popular time travel models and would instead have to use the player creating a new timeline to go back in time to even be remotely possible

2 Likes

This isn’t what I mean, I mean that once you can time travel you have nothing to worry about and have won the game.

Well I was thinking that there would be other civilizations in the universe(even multiplayer), so imagine if a player gets time travel, and turns you all into microbes, that would be unfair

well just get on their good side so you can not get turned back into one in the first place or don’t use closed time loop or open time loop theories of time travel

Well the idea is that time travel is how you “win” (ascend), and I don’t think winning is unfair.

I mean yeah, but I would like the last few hours of a thrive game would be each civilization racing to build the ascension gate, and the person building it first to try to keep others from sabotaging it

That’s roughly the same thing with time travel, you’d have to build something absolutely massive, and run experiments detectable by other civilizations. So other civilizations would figure out what you’re doing and either try to stop you, or join you.

1 Like

oh ok
invisible text because it has to be 20 characters