Ask quick science questions here

Quick question thread for any scientific topic

Is it just me, or has this kind of thread already happened in the forums?

I looked again and it seems Science Starts With Questions! was indeed about questions, not forum games.

If a previous thread doesn’t exist about this, then why is there a 2 in the title?

I edited the title a bit. I’ll allow this thread that is very similar to just the quick questions thread because this is in #science and people actually need to use scientific information here.

I consulted some information about the chemical composition of the primitive ocean and anaerobic respiration.

The chemical composition of primary ocean is mainly composed of acidic and reducing components, which means that many electron acceptors in the form of anaerobic respiration cannot exist in the environment:

anaerobic respiration electron acceptors
denitrification NO2-,NO3-
iron respiration Fe3+

So, can we argue that the development of denitrification and iron respiration depends to some extent on oxygen production photosynthesis? At least it is the reduction of local environmental reducing components caused by local oxygen production.

From this perspective, there are not many optional electric acceptors in the primary ocean. Sulfate respiration and sulfur respiration should have been the main forces of non fermentative anaerobic respiration at that time.

Considering the solubility of Fe3+and the mechanism of iron respiration, the primary ocean still retains a certain amount of Fe3+precipitation. But NO3- is difficult to exist, and most of the de Nitrifying bacteria are Facultative anaerobic organism.

I have a feeling I’m going to be using this thread a lot in the near future

I’ve been thinking about how Virtual Reality could happen while dreaming and I’ve been wondering whether it would be possible to draw a HUD in a person’s mind by stimulating certain brain regions associated with vision? Like by using a specific current intensity/frequency with tDCS (transcranial Direct Current Stimulation) or using a mind-reading AI to suggest certain visuals, you could make some colored shapes appear. Am I crazy?

1 Like

We’ll probably figure out how to insert visual information into the brain thanks to trying to make prosthetic eyes and connecting those to the brain. If I’m not mistaking some very low resolution eye cameras are already possible. The same method will probably work for inserting compute graphics into a brain.

3 Likes

I’d be more prone to use a non-invasive method. What would happen if you need to take an MRI? You can’t just take off those prosthetic eyes.

You could try AR contact lenses, which would display a screen on them.

But would they interfere with someone’s dream? I mean, does the brain gather data from the eyes while someone’s dreaming? After all, dreams come from the brain itself.

1 Like

No, they would not. Probably. Maybe. Actually, they probably will, but hopefully not.

just take them off before sleeping, you shouldn’t sleep with contacts in anyways

But can you really take optical implants off your eye sockets without tearing your optical nerves?

just make them detachable and have a textured front and back, and make sure the port for the implant isn’t magnetic, gold and medical grade silicon would be a good option. you’d need to charge the implants anyways and i doubt anyone is going to stick a charger in their eye regardless of whether or not they need to do so to see

Another Idea:
Will it be ever possible to completely decipher human brain functions and then basing on them, construct “the best” language possible? As if, basing on the brain data of the whole of humanity, we create a form of communication, perhaps even in the virtual realm, which has the best balance of language elements.

1 Like

I highly doubt that is possible. Existing languages have already heavily influenced the neural pathways in the brains of their speakers. Maybe it’d be possible if everyone was trilingual first to ensure that there was no one who only knew the logic behind one language and was only familiar with that way of expressing information.

3 Likes

Hmm, I didn’t think about that. I always imagined that a good implant would rely on biochemical energy.

How would that work? That sounds even more implausible to me than having an implant that can feed visual information into your brain. Mostly because I’ve heard nothing about advancements being made towards implants that wouldn’t rely on batteries or charging it with electricity in some way.

1 Like

I’m sure that will be possible in the (far) future if mankind isn’t dead yet.