Binding Agents

A talk on how the binding agents will be implemented in 0.5.3 (including well detailed suggestions).

Let’s start with the benefits:

• Bound cells share their compounds together.
  • Less reactants required and more products output for specific process
R\, Glucose + 6\, O_2 \rightarrow 6\, CO_2 + 6\, H_2O + P\, ATP
\begin {equation} \begin {split} R & = \frac {1} {Total_{Cells}} \\ & = \frac {1} {2\, Cells} \\ & = 0.5\, Glucose \end {split} \end {equation}
\begin {equation} \begin {split} P & = Total_{Cells} \times P_{ini}\\ & = 2\, Cells \times 32\, ATP \\ & = 64\, ATP \end {split} \end {equation}
I also thought about double HP like the last equation shown above, but it might be too OP.
1 Like

Moved this to the future game, as this isn’t about thing that is currently in the game.
Also an existing version like 0.5.2 won’t be extended, so I guess you typoed 0.5.3?

I don’t really like the idea of getting more stuff for less. Didn’t you want us to put in scientific units like mol to the processes? How it makes any sense that you can create more matter with less? If something the process could run faster.

For that reason I think I’ll initially only add like a basic benefit like reduced osmoregulation cost and let others come up with more later.

6 Likes

I think that the math might be a little bit extreme, but say the some organelle has an 80% efficiency at 100% sunlight or heat, (I think we should have electrosynthetic and thermosynthetic proteins or organelles) then two cells, as they do the work twice, might have a 88% or 84% efficiency. Note that I also am ecstatic over the fact that the multicellular stage is being discussed in such terms as current develupment.

2 Likes

health makes more sense, and encourages binding. Maybe it accounts for the amount of membrane that is exposed, with each cell having separate health and be killed separately.

2 Likes

I think just being able to evenly distribute resources among connected cells, as well as having less osmoregulation cost could be a great start to what benefits will be provided.

I’m thinking that being bound to another cell would technically reduce a bound cell’s surface area (Less area exposed to external environment), while effectively doubling surface area for both cells combined. If that makes any sense.

4 Likes

I like that, requires some head math, but thats a good idea.

New suggestions!

In the Editor!

Imagine you have a colony of 8 cells, which form some kind of huge hexagon.

n = 8 (cells)
m_b = 100 (MP)
m = \frac {m_b \times n} {2}, where
n > 1

For 8 cells, you’d get 400 MP. With that, you can either edit each cell or add another one, which would cost 100 MP. For editing, it’s just like editing a single cell. You could add two flagellas at the rear cells (-110 MP) and two pili at the front cells (-60 MP). Then, you could finally add one cell bound to an existing one (-100 MP).

Now exiting the editor…

You now have two identical colonies!

Isn’t that something that would make more sense in multicellular than microbe?

2 Likes

This is not related to the binding agents, this post is related to the multicellular stage.

Wouldn’t multicellular have different “organelles”? Multicellular would have a larger colony in my opinion. Do you mean that the stage automatically ends when forming a small colony and not by having a smooth transition?

He means that when you are singlecelled you won’t be able to edit the colony, and you won’t be able to reproduce the whole colony, because, that is something MULTICELLULAR organisms do

2 Likes

Oh, so instead of reproducing the colony, it would only multiply the number of cells. Makes sense. Also, just a suggestion since I’ve played the binding agents branch :

The Zoom-Out range shall become greater.

@hhyyrylainen there is a bug where the color of the organelles are affected by the membrane color (e.g. red chloroplast).

That’s been an intended feature since like 0.3.4…

1 Like

It doesn’t make sense. Why would a chloroplast be red? Because the membrane is red?

I mean sure, if it’s the nucleus that is red, it’s not a problem. But if it makes your chloroplast red, then I call it a scientific inaccuracy.

Photo synthetic plants can be any color, but on earth they are always purple or green, and yes, there is such a thing as purple algae, but on another star the optimum frequencies might include red.

This video puts it best:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9MNC45Jr6Q

1 Like

Three hypothetical ways to arise as a multicellular colony:

• Binding agents
  • Fail to divide properly
  • Connect to other cells with some kind of pilus (similar to binding agents)

@hhyyrylainen, what’s wrong?

1 Like

To me it seems like you haven’t seen my thread on the dev forums about how the technical implementation of binding agents will be.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll check it out.

EDIT: Do you mean that it isn’t practical? This is just for the future game, not for the near future, though. And may I know why the forums keep going offline? I didn’t see a forum update in the forum server update thread.

Do you suggest cells can form multicellular species that look like spagetti towers?

What do you mean by that?