End Game Events

The point of this is to talk about difference game ending scenarios.

One of mine would be a biological species like the tyrannids that come from the darkness between galaxies. They would gain the features of the creatures that they kill. If they invade one of your planets they will gain your species traits and make creature that directly counter your troops on the planet. This would make stopping from from reaching planets be your primary concern. One important part about game ending events is overwhelming force, this would need multiple EXTREMELY powerful fleets to spawn around the edges of the galaxy. This would make it impossible for you to single handily take them on, you would have to work with the other empires in the galaxy to defeat them or let them devour your enemies and clean up what’s left of the invaders. Maybe you could wait them out, their “ships” are biological creatures that will starve if they don’t feed on life from planets.

1 Like

That sounds interesting. My favourite stuff for the late space stage is anything which is scientifically plausible and totally crazy. So yeah invasions of creatures is a cool one. Things like the reapers from Mass Effect are another.

In a similar vein I love the replicators from SG-1 and think it would be really funny to offer some techs that give massive bonuses (replicators can build ships and buildings really fast) but if they get out of control they can brick the whole galaxy.

There’s a game called empire of the fading suns which has loads of crazy mechanics, one of which is a group of warrior priests that try to destroy forbidden tech, maybe for just this reason.

Anyway that’s all quite crazy.

2 Likes

My idea didn’t seem popular, oh well. Have another.

I have another idea that is inspired by Stellaris, ancient robots. There would be giant metal factory worlds that would release large invasion fleets that are tasked with exterminating all biological and non-compliant robots (they steal 60% of your and everyone else’s robots).

Now to balance out the difficulty of these incredibly large and powerful galactic threats the devs at paradox made it so if you survived long enough an enemy of that threat would arrive. The biological creature I suggested were more inspired by the inter-dimensional beings from Stellaris who come to feed on the life energy of the galaxy. If you survive a decently long amount of time a second species from the same dimension as the first will arrive which came for the same reason but both sides hate each other more than they want to eat life and will try and destroy each other enabling the player and AI empires to destroy the rifts that let them enter the galaxy. For the robots, in Stellaris if you survive a certain amount of time robot hunters who have had their galaxies have been destroyed by these same robots (large fallen intergalactic empire) will arrive and aid in you destroying their fleets and factory worlds.

Stellaris is just such a good game, no other space game really does what it does.

2 Likes

One idea of a Game ending scenario i have is

some other species has developed a long range Solar system destroying superweapon and you have to stop them before they fire on yours though the places they fire upon is random and maybe slightly swayed if you are friendly to them

but will attack solar systems with races they hate if they’ve targeted your solar system and either you are: too weak, too far away to stop it, or they have destroyed 2 other species controlled solar systems then an alliance between two races (it would be the destroyed ones if thats what happened but otherwise its random) will form a group and attack the superweapon They will also donate you some stuff to help you and their attack will delay the superweapons fire (there could be a 15% chance that the two races win and destroy it by themselves but you have to help out)

2 Likes

Since the ending will be building the ascension gate, how about having it take really long to charge up, and having all kinds of spacefaring species try to capture it in order to ascend themselves (since they don’t have the tech/materials to build one themselves), a bit like how Rimworld handles building the ship.

4 Likes

While I like that idea, when I said something about a weapon that can fire at other solar systems that got shut down due to energy becoming weaker over longer distances. This would have to be a mobile platform or ship that fires a weapon that destroys planet and is protected by a huge fleet. There might be more than one of these fleets with planet destroying platforms. When I think of end-game events, I think something on a galaxy threatening scale, something that can destroy your empire, even if it controls 1/3 of the galaxy.

I am quite sure that @Omicron’s suggestion of defending the accession gate has already been talked about and said to be what will happen.

1 Like

Maybe in the end game, the player’s species could meet the human civilization, which would have been the first to reach the Ascension stage.

EDIT : In this case, humanity must have been unified under some sort of Federation. Democratic, if possible.

1 Like

Would be more fitting if you could find Earth as a radioactive wasteland.

2 Likes

Or maybe earth could only have half of the people left alive… sorry I had to

1 Like

Are you suggesting Thanos be a final boss? Someone make a mod of this please!

3 Likes

“Endgame”. I see what you did there, you clever lad.

Otherwise, I was thinking the space stage would be the final frontier, so the game would just become a sandbox at that point. But if it does end, I think a cool end title called would be: “Your species had humble beginnings, from a microscopic microbe, to a space-faring dominator. While you have encountered many hardships, this is the end. The [SPECIES NAME] have thrived. But will a new species rise to replace it? Only time will tell…” and then the credits roll and you go back to the menu.

1 Like

The planned end to the game is ascension where your species turns themselves into pure energy and basically unlocks sandbox mode where you can mess with anything in your game without limits. It’s probably a good chance to roll the credits after like a cutscene showing the ascension and then returning back to the game.

3 Likes

Oh ok, I never knew that. I was seeing some people refer to it sometimes, but I never saw it as a real stage, so it confused me a bit. Thanks for clearing it up.

I think also it would be nice if the late space stage is a bit like CK2 with empires rising and falling over time. That way you can kind of play forever for the interesting stories that emerge.

If super advanced future tech is hard to maintain (maybe powering the ascension gate requires you to consume 3 stars or something) then it would become a periodic thing species would rise to and then everyone else would fall back to a lower state, fighting over the ruins of their old empire.

1 Like

Finally got stellaris and all i can say is ADD ALL THE END GAME CRISIS EVENTS FROM STELLARIS

They’re the coolest thing i ever seen and i want to face off against unbidden and automated ancient precursor dreadnoughts

Hello guys, I think the gates of assension recharged for a very long time. While they are not active, there is some kind of conflict between all races. If a player is not able to take the system( a planet???) where are the gates of the ascension, he must fight for them again and again (if player wants this). And I think, that gates will be protected (how a Steve in the center of the galaxy by groxes in Spore) .

1 Like

So far all the plans about ascension gates I’ve heard, include the player researching and building them. There is no logical reason that the player must fight with others to use them, they can just go hide in some distant solar system from everywhere.

1 Like

Sorry for bad idea, i 'm new in this theme.

If you really wanted a final battle, you could have something where the powering up of the ascension gate would emit a special type of energy that would attract nearly anyone in the galaxy, who would want to secure the gate for themselves. However, this would probably be annoying for people with peaceful creatures, since they would not have the weapons to defend themselves, making it nearly impossible for non-warrior species to ascend.

3 Likes

Maybe more peaceful creatures could try to negotiate with everyone they attract?

I like the idea that there is some sort of climax towards the end of the game, but it doesn’t have to be a battle.