Evolution: The Game of Intelligent Life (1997)

This game was published by the Discovery Channel in 1997 as an educational tool. Because there are so few games about evolution, it is still worth investigating, I think. However, its age necessitates some complicated steps to play it. I made a video describing how to download and install it. I will soon make another video describing how to play.

I wish to know whether my steps work for you. I spent a few hours trying to ascertain what needed to be done, and I am uncertain whether these steps are universal.

5 Likes

Here is the aforementioned gameplay video.

4 Likes

For those who have the same question and don’t want to go over YouTube to see my comment, here is my comment.

I’m going to edit the comment 1:12 Wait you can download the game as JPEG!? 1:36 Will my antivirus detect qbittorrent as a malware? because it now detects utorrent as malware. 4:04 Wait is it the software that is german or is your computer german? because most options are in english while that one only is german. 4:21 What if I don’t have a disc drive? 7:24 Is there an emulator for the game? Would it fix or prevent the three issues?

Sorry if it feels offensive, it just gives the occasion of answering all questions at once for everyone.

Not a problem. Here are my answers:

1. The JPEG is just that cover picture.
  2. No. My computer did not consider qbittorrent to be malware. It isn’t, so that shouldn’t be a problem.
  3. The software can be in whatever language you choose. I chose German. My computer is a weird mix of German and English.
  4. You don’t need a disc drive. Mounting an ISO file creates a virtual disc drive, a pretend one.
  5. No, to my knowledge there is no emulator. That would fix the problems, yes, but this game is so obscure that I don’t think that will work.
1 Like

That’s your voice?! :open_mouth:

You’re surprised? What did you expect?

For a German, you speak English extremely well. I didn’t notice any accent. Excellent work.

Well they come from germanic language so it makes sence

I’m not German. German is my second language. I moved to Germany later in life.

1 Like

What’s your first language if I may ask? English, or something else?

1 Like

They speak German and English and German isn’t their native language…

I haven’t had the time to watch the videos, I just watched a couple of minutes. But I want to say that this is cool.
This is the type of quality threads we should have more of on the forums.

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re pleased with it! I find many of the threads here uninteresting. I hoped that Thrive players would also be interested in this game. I haven’t seen any reports of the installation process failing, so I assume it is working.

I find odd that the topic shifted from Evolution to me. Anyway, my first language is English. I am more interested in hearing whether you could install and play the game.

1 Like

It is not that difficult to speak more than 2 languages. As someone living in the Netherlands, I know plenty of people that speak at least three fluidly, with another one or two at a basic level.

1 Like

I am probably not going to play it but it seems very interesting and complex especially for when it was released.

Well I can’t remember words from three languages. Two languages at most (maximum), which are English and French. Though I can remember grammar/syntax from a third language, it needs more practice. So I don’t learn a 3rd one by pure lazyness.
Anyway, since I created many threads which are always empty, I agree with Solitarian that many threads are uninteresting. jk jk or not

In any case, this game is pretty captivating. May I ask:

Is there only animal kingdom or is there any microorganism?

There are only animals. So the game is working for you, then? If so, then I am glad that my instructions worked for someone else.

1 Like

Sorry for necro this thread. So far i can’t make this game work for me. Everytime i try to enter the game, it always generate an error and shut off.

I looked into this game in the past. Its very cool.

1 Like

Kinda reminds me if the board game “Dominant Species” in a strange way