Floatin’ - A Community Speculative Evolution Game

Hello all! Welcome to my third forum game.

This game is an community speculative evolution game, similar to the Cavern. However, this one is set within a very low Gravity asteroid field with an atmosphere, with patches of water on, around, or floating between asteroids for more aquatic life.

A reminder on the rules; Only small evolutions every time you evolve something - no arms to wings, but maybe you can add a way for it to glide or a precursor to gliding. Also, maximum of five (5) evolutions per group (groups are tied to their ancestors) before the first major extinction event.

Also, please do let other people evolve a creature as well - try not to use up all five slots for a creature by yourself.

Now, let the game begin! Your starting organisms are;

• Great Horned Owls
  • Cypress Trees
  • Hammerhead Sharks
  • Red-Eyed Tree Frogs
  • Blue Ringed Octopi
  • Isopods
  • Moss
  • Hoatzins
  • Flamingoes
  • Parasaurolophus
  • ‘Pit Viper’ Hawks Moth
  • Crows
  • Blobfish
  • Ephedra Shrubs
  • Viperfish
  • Eastern Brown Snakes
  • Red-tailed Hawks
  • Polar Bears
  • Sandworms
  • Junipers
  • European Rabbits
  • Vinegaroons
  • Florida Scrub Jays
  • Servals
  • Vampire Bats
  • Blue-Tounged Skinks
  • Fishing Cats
  • Sea Grasses
  • Diatoms
  • Copepods

Happy Creating!

2 Likes

When you say sandworms, are you referring to Lugworms (arenicola marina) or King Ragworms (alitta virens)? Or are we actually taking a page out of Dune? Cause I only know of the ones from Dune, I just now looked it up and found the others so this is something new I learned! Also, please tell me the blobfish are in their proper high-pressure habitat instead of brought up on land. The reason they look like blobs on land is because they’re collapsing upon themselves very painfully!

I am considering the Blobfish as the deep sea, proper form, however it is interesting to note there is a lot less pressure, especially due to low grav. They weren’t dragged up, but it isn’t their native pressure

iirc there is a class of annelid called sand worms, which is what I was referencing. Let me check real quick

Edit: So I meant the King Ragworm I think, but actually discovered that giant sand worms were rea and lived off the coast of Taiwan roughly 20 million years ago. They were 6 feet long, and reinforced their burrows with special secretions that included Iron.

Which of these two do we want? I’m leaning towards the older one

(Do note that all seed organisms wil come from real life, not fiction)

1 Like

Ancenstor: Moss
Name: Rootmoss
Mutations: The rhizoids become thicker.
Description: Moss that evolved stronger rhizoids to expand the microscopic cracks of meteors to get their nutrients.

Ancestor: Cypress Tree
Name: Needlebridge
Description: This large, woody plant has a net of large, trunk like roots that fasten together groups of asteroids into floating forests, and then has many trunks coming off of the same plant in every direction. One plant can chain a dozen steroids of varying size together, providing the foundation of a thriving ecosystem

Ancenstor: European Rabbit
Name: Membranous Rabbit
Mutations: skin membrane between their limbs, shorter ears. longer tail.
Description: Rabbits that evolved a skin membrane in order to be able to better manuever while floating between asteroids.
Habitat: Needlebridge islands
Diet: Rootmoss

Ancenstor: Blue-Tounged Skink
Name: Flathead skink
Mutations: The eyes move to the top of the head, bigger teeth.
Habitat: Asteroids
Description: This skink species has their eyes on the top of their head allowing them to see predators approaching from above. It also evolved teeth capable of crushing vegetation.
Diet: Rootmoss

Ancenstor: Diatoms
Name: Aerodiatoms
Mutations: thicker membrane capable of retaining liquids.
Habitat: Air
Description: Diatoms capable of survival outside of water, it is for all intents and purposes aero-plankton

Species name: Kystalians @TwilightWings21
DIatoms now have increased chlorplast production
Diatoms evolve a precursor to multicellularity, the ability to clump together and exchange nutrients and seperate and gang up at will.
Diatoms become multicellular
Diatoms evolve conducting shells, resulting in a form of a nervous system.
Muscle-like organs evolve in diatoms by pumping water through the crystal-like shells of many diatoms backwards in water causing the diatom to move.

1 Like

I’ll assume that evolves from the aeroplankton one

Curious how well this will work, as there is already an abundance of multicellular life but not specifically adapted for this environment

What should this species name be @TheForumGameMaster ?

aren’t muscles a big step in evolution, and also aren’t diatoms photosynthetizers?

Yes but trees/slime molds don’t have muscles, was just wondering generally

well, I can not think of a precursor to muscles, and having control of a sessile organism would be too difficult to turn into a sapient being

developping a nervous system and muscle system in a single species is too much of a jump, there also isn’t an incentive to do so for them since they are photosynthetizers

then maybe to beat other animals and plants for control of the niche

wouldn’t it be outcompeted by animals since they already have the necessary structures for mobility and also perform worse than plants since movement is energy demanding and as such will use most if not all of the energy that it produces?

Ancestor: Fishing cats

Name: Snatching cats
Mutations:

• Fur pattern changed to become black with colored spots to match the night time scenery.
  • Hunting methods changed to snatch prey mid flight, instead of catching prey from dangerous water blobs
  • larger claws for hanging on to asteroids.

Habitat: asteroids

1. well then there will be a mutation causing increased amount of chloroplasts
  2. the organism uses its"muscles",(which is actually water being pumped into the organism and out quickly in order to propel the organism)to hover to areas of water with higher concentrations of nutrients and more sunlight

No. The maximum you could have evolved the organism in one jump was giving it the ability to attach or detach to others of it’s species. No control over how it moves/drifts.

That’s too unrealistic, especially for a single jump

ancestor: needlebridge
name: blackleafed stickbridge
adaptations: slightly thicker roots for nutrient storage and transport, pitch black leaves to absorb all of the sunlight that reaches them, thinner more abundant leaves.

Ancestor: blobfish
Name: skinfish
Adaptations: tighter skin to increase internal pressure, skin can be contracted and relaxed at will due to formation of thin layer of subdermal muscle to allow swimming.

Ancestor: blue ringed octopus
name: eel tentacled octopus
adaptations: finned tentacles to allow for better locomotion through air and water, brain moves closer to eyes and stops being torus around esophagus and instead becomes a disc behind eyes, wrinklier brain

ancestor: Parasaurolophus
name: Microrolophus
Adap: Their bodies became smaller in comparison to their ancestors in order to adapt to the lower level of resources and in addition the head cavity became an air sac where it is able to store the air in thechanse and needs to pass through jumps or dive in the water. His habits have evolved to grip unstable surfaces with which he is able to pick up blackleafed stickbridge or Kystalians in hard to reach areas.

ancestor: crows
Name: Sincrow
adapt: The wing feathers have become light reflectors that help them escape from predators or hunt for prey by being able to use light in a variety of ways.
In addition, they are used as courtship between the sexes. Their bodies became larger because gravity is lighter and allows them to store more fat compared to their ancestors of the same size who could not fly properly

Ancestor: Isopods
Name: Bark Isopod
Mutation: stronger jaws capable of digging inside the bark of plants
Description: isopods that live inside needlebridges and live in big groups of 100-200 individuals.
Habitat: Needlebridge islands