Floatin’ - A Community Speculative Evolution Game

there is no such thing as “0g” as every particle in existence is constantly pulling on every other particle in existence and it says

low gravity not no gravity and yes asteroid field most of which are in the form of belts as they affect each others orbits and orbit around the same bodies unless knocked astray

@TwilightWings21 could you put an updated version of the list down here

Gravity would be low enough that it would be acceptable to be rounded to 0 and even if you don’t want to round it to 0 ateroid belts can’t produce enough gravity to retain the gasses which compose an atmosphere.

Also, if a magnetic field was needed there would be no surviving life to begin with.

asteroids have gravity that is non negligible to anything in this environment if an asteroid belt is big enough it would be able to sustain an atmosphere as there would be enough mass to make a planet the size of a star’s oxygen layer and the giant rockworms would definitely have more than enough gravity to have an atmosphere
the asteroid belt likely has an ozone layer and at the habitable zone of a star likely has negligible radiation levels for anything with any kind of melanin

ancestor: black leafed stickbridge
name: shadeleaf logbridge
adaptations: a structure that prevents light from escaping on the leaves, thicker roots to prevent asteroid breaking them thus allowing their root systems to be bigger, roots can sprout new trees that are still the part of same organism to allow root systems to be even bigger
description: this species of cypress tree with dull, nearly pitch black leaves, can have one specimen be as heavy as 400 tonnes if it does not get broken apart and these trees sometimes kill rockwoms before reaching because of landing in a soil patch on a rockworm
habitat: any asteroid

ancestor: bark isopod
name: cypress terminator isopods
adaptations: lay egg sacs containing thousands of zygotes, stronger jaws and stomach cellulase, hibernation like state reserved for low food times, if it ends up in the air it will curl up enter torpor
diet: cypress trees on rockworms
description: these isopods will lie in the crevices of a rockworm’s armor until they smell a bloody cypress tree in which case they will go to the canopy and immediately start mating and eating the tree and laying their eggs in the canopies of these trees. they are called cypress terminators because even just two can kill the cypress faster than the cypress can kill the worm it is on or regrow. because of their disdain towards non iron bearing cypress trees thes bugs have been classified as part of the rockworm immune system
habitat: rockworms and iron bearing cypress trees

Gravity is not just about mass, it’s also about the density of the mass; theoretically the Earth has enough mass to collapse into a blackhole, yet it doesn’t since it isn’t dense enough. An asteroid belt would not be dense enough to hold an atmosphere since asteroids are kilometers apart from eachother.

It having an ozone layer works against your case, since if it really needed to have a magnetic field then the ozone layer would already have been blasted away by solar wind before evolution could happen, and radiation from a star is a major problem, it is a problem on EARTH that has an ozone layer that blocks radiation it would be lethal without an ozone layer.

No, they don’t. The smallest body in the solar system that has an atmosphere is Mercury, it has a radius of 2400 kilometers and a density of 5,43 g/cm^3; claiming that they would be able to create bodies of such a size would make you loose all crediblity.

pluto could have one if it was warm enough

i meant collectively which is why i said the rockworms not a rockworm

i think you are overestimating solar winds
if you want to continue this argument take it to the dms

ancestor: skinfish
name: crustfish
adaptations: keratin exoskeleton under skin to increase pressure range, each muscle is attached to two points on the exoskeleton to allow intentional movement, eyes have clear keratin over them, mouth airlock to prevent going kaboom because of opening mouth, anal airlock to prevent going kaboom because of taking a belgium.
diet: any non poisonous animal that can fit in it’s mouth
description: a weird looking keratinous shellfish
habitat: high - moderate pressure water

No, I’m not, solar wind can break down a planet’s ozone layer, why do you think a magnetic field is one of the requirements for a planet to hold life? Because a magnetic field stops the solar wind from removing the ozone layer.

Still impossible since the resources required for them to build such bodies would be kilometers apart from each other.

Also, if they can create a body which described by your own words has “more than enough gravity to have an atmosphere”, wouldn’t such bodies just capture the entirety of the atmosphere and water of the belt? Your argument defeats itself.

i meant with how fast it would dissipate an atmosphere from an asteroid belt that was likely checked to see if it would hold an atmosphere and then the earthlike atmosphere being artificially put there to sustain life from earth that was also artificially put there
also i said take this to the Direct Messages if you want to continue arguing with me

they are dispersed unevenly so it would be spread out in some areas and more concentrated in others, by the way one of my end goals is to evolve a planet even if it’s own weight kills it

Uh, guys, gravity is caused by gluon attraction, so it is entirely possible that this area of space either has no gluons or the masses are not large enough to be meaningfully effected by or generate gravity.

that would make it A not exist or B be dust because gluons hold subatomic particles together and for large asteroids to form they have to be meaningfully affected by gravity

There are other forces that keep particles together besides gravity you know.

So you admit that it doesn’t need a magnetic field.

yes like the strong force, the weak force, and magnetism
@fralegend015 now we have gotten back to the fact that it will need one which is what i said in the post that started this argument

Except, if it needs one then it either already has one from the start or it doesn’t need one since it didn’t get destroyed, either way you are wrong in saying you need to evolve a species to create a magnetic field.

i said we need to make one not specifically evolve it
and the atmosphere will likely last 5 extinction events that is more than enough time to do so

I think twilight should decide who wins, it’s their game.

1 Like

Evolution happens on geological timescales, as such if it really needs a magnetic field there would be no atmosphere even before the first native species evolved.

i said it was likely put there artificially right before the starting species were put there

The origin of the atmosphere is irrelevant, it would have dissapeared in the geological timescale that evolution requires if it needed a magnetic field.

Also, I take you moving the argument to the origin of the atmosphere as sign of you admitting defeat, there is no need for you to say anything else.

assuming the solid to gas ratio is the same and i did the researching right for an asteroid belt the same weight as ours the atmosphere would be 2.06257e+15kg which if i mathed the math right would take longer for solar winds to get rid of than life on earth has existed so far
@fralegend015 unless i say that i concede my point i do not withdraw from an argument.

ancestor: air isopod
name: manta aeropod
adaptations: exoskeletal extensions are connected by a thin layer of soft tissue, exoskeletal extentions are bigger
diet: bloodcleaner juniper poisoned blood storage organ, aero coepods,
description: a highly poison tolerant airborne isopod species that
habitat: literally anywhere other than submerged

ancestor: vampiric juniper
name: bloodcleaner juniper
adaptations: blood storage organs made to hold only poisonous blood for manta aeropods to deal with, seeds stay on the tree until their chemoreceptors detect a new rockworm, seeds have chemorecepors
diet: rockworm blood, the SUN
description: a subspecies of vampiric juniper that has an organ for dealing with poison in a fairly unique way
habitat: giant rockworms

species template
ancestor:
name:
adaptations:
diet:
description:
habitat:

1 Like

I’m 99% sure everyone understands what the popular term ‘zero gravity’ means, even if it is not necessarily accurate, hence my usage of it. I also said ‘very low gravity,’ and if there was a time I said zero gravity without the single quotes (my attempt to represent air quotes) then that’s just a typing error, in which case my bad.

Yeah I’ll update the list, had a bit going on irl and not particularly active atm but I’ll update ASAP