Hot takes

this can be about thrive or not thrive. i dunno i thought this would be fun. please dont get out hand

1 Like

I don’t have very high hopes for this thread, but I’ll guess we’ll see how well this goes.

4 Likes

aight here is mine: I’m not sure about other languages but in English C is completely useless, you could just replace it with K or S.

2 Likes

what about the ch sound

1 Like

English “spelling” is fake anyway. There’s no rule that wouldn’t have five millions exceptions to it making the rules basically useless.

9 Likes

Why isn’t this in the Misc thread?

4 Likes

Ingliš niidz an ə̌rjənt speling rəform. Đis iz duəbəl, đer hav biin languəjəz in đə past đat adĂ„ptəd a kompliitli niw skript (mongoliən iz duing it rĂ„it naw), nĂ„t jĂ„st a fiw niw ledərz.

Đer wĂ„z a yuutuubər (link) đat tĂ„lkd abaut variəs propoozd cainjəz tu ingliš and rankd đem lĂ„ik yĂ„n misəli. Đis iz nĂ„t wĂ„n of đem, Ă„y maid it Ă„p and it prĂ„bəbli haz a lĂ„d of inkonsistənsiiz. Kan yu riid it?

Plain english version

English needs an urgent spelling reform. This is doable, there have been languages in the past that adopted a completely new script (mongolian is doing it right now), not just a few new letters.

There was a youtuber that talked about various proposed changes and ranked them like jan misali. This is not one of them, I made it up and it probably has a lot of inconsistencies. Can you read it?

i can read the last part but i had to translate a lot, aparentally your using terkmen?

That second part was unreadable in places.

I agree that English could do with huge reforms. There was a reform hundreds of years ago, to unify the sounds in English, creating much more consistency in how it was spoken in different areas, which made it much easier to understand. However, they didn’t do the same with spellings, which is one of the things that led to the absurd disjunction between how an English word is spelt and how it is spoken.

A lot of things often referred-to as ‘rules of the English language’ were made up by individual scholars at different times, based on their own ideas of how they would like English to be, rather than how it actually was.

There are lots of elements of English which I think could be improved. Like re-introducing the use of ‘eth’ at the end of verbs, rather than ‘s’. For instance, “He walketh to school every day”. It would reduce some of the frequent confusion between different meanings of words. And more consistent forms of verbs would help a lot, too.

Edit: I guess that’s too long for a ‘hot take’. Soz. :sweat_smile:

guess the wasn’t so bad huh hh, just seems like a good place for interesting conversations, I’m glad.

2 Likes

I can read it, but only barely. It is very difficult to translate (in my head) to ‘normal’ English

Consider my expectations exceeded.

2 Likes

What they wrote wasn’t in english thp

I proposed a reform for normal english, it shouldn’t change how anything is spelled pronounced, it should make the pronounciation easier to predict from the spelling. Trying to make you all (already proficient in english) read it was an experiment with some success. I added the normal version now.

never heard of it

How does this improve english? Walks or walked look similar to how they are pronounced

how to make english better
  • palatalisation is shown with i

late=>lait, eight=>eit

• new letters for th

thanks=>ξanks, that=>đat

• š for sh and ĆŸ for /ʒ/

english=>ingliš, persian=>pə̌rĆŸÉ™n, asian=>aiĆŸÉ™n, genre=>ĆŸĂ„nrĂ„

• c for ch and j for /dʒ/

china=> cÄinÄ, james=>jaimz, change=>cainj

• q becomes k, x becomes ks or z, c becomes s or k

queue=>kyu, xenomorph=>zinomorf, coccyx=>kĂ„ksəs

• any vowel can turn into a schwa, especially in long words

french men=> frenc men, frenchmen=>frencmən, character=>karəktər

• vowels before r become ə or ə̌

desert=>dezərt, dessert=>dizə̌rt, hair=>haər, heir=>eər, ear=>iər, bird=>bə̌rd, squirrel=>skuə̌rəl

• vowels before r may not change into anything if the word is short

or=>or, ore=>or, shore=>šor, sure=>šə̌r, hour=>awər, our=aur

• spanish a is written with Ă„

world war one=> wə̌rld wor wĂ„n

• a at the end of words become Ă„

banana=>bananÄ

• e may become i or remain as e

decade=>dekaid, decayed=>dikaid, reentry=>rientri

• wh becomes w, kn becomes n

why=>wÄy, way=>way, know=>now, now=>naw

• double letters and silent letters removed

pterodactyl=>terodaktəl, chlorophyll=>klorofil, consciousness=>kĂ„ncəsnəs

• i am not sure how awe should be written

love=>lĂ„v, low=>low, law=>loo, awesome=>Ă„Ă„səm

• w in write remains

right=>rÄit, write=>wrÄit, wright=>wrÄit

• everything written the same way it is spoken

ma’am=>maam, t-shirt=>tiišə̌rt, did you know=> dij yu now, don’t you know=> donc yu now

• but it is in my accent

hard=>hĂ„rd not hĂ„Ă„d, water=>wĂ„dər not wotĂ„

Why not just use ipa? Firstly, đ looks better than ð, I can read “đis” as “this” in my head, but “ðis” looks like “6is”. That is the aesthetic reason. Secondly, redundancy in the script may allow us to distinguish minimal pairs. For example, “too” and “two” are both /tuː/, but we can write them as “tuu” and “twu”.

Imo distinguishing between voiced and voiceless dental fricatives (“ð”/“đ” and â€œĂŸâ€) in writing is pretty pointless as ĂŸose sounds basically merged and are allophones of each oĂŸer (in English obviously). Þat being said, I personally like Þorn more ĂŸan EĂ°.

To not clog it, I guess.

1 Like

You cant use phonetic symbols as letters.

No you didn’t, you simply wrote something that wasn’t in english.

Is writing an english sentence in morse code or binary not writing in English?

2 Likes

Den, Ƃat langƂydĆŒ ys dys? Not Inglisz? Aj dĆŒast speld yt somƂat fonetykly yn PoƂlisz speling.

Polish transliteration would’t make a good script for english. “death” “that” and “debt” are all “det”, right?