How did everyone get introduced to thrive?

I discovered Thrive in 2019, when I was searching for realistic evolutionary simulations/games. And, surprisingly, that’s exactly what I found.

3 Likes

Interesting. Good to see a person who joins and keeps alive as you. Last new thrivsts exited the order in less than a week.
This guy above you is Pumpkin, a forum speedrunner. He became Tribal in less than a month. (New- microbial - multicellular - aware - sentient - tribal …)
Reaction emojis are disabled for some reason, unfortunately we have only to post to answer and react things

2 Likes

I found Thrive before the 0.2.3. update I don’t remember precisely when but I just found it on YouTube very long time ago back when only things regarding thrive were some soundtracks and the first two episodes of podcasts and also the concept animations for the microbe stage and microbe editor. But I forgot about it and later found it after the 0.2.4 update so I decited to subscribe to never forget it again.

2 Likes

I was looking around to see if anything somewhat like spore was created yet and a Youtube Comment led me to this awesome game.

4 Likes

Maybe it was I who have commented?
I admit i do some outreach contributions daily/weekly to spread the word of thrivism
But ok probably not me, dont bother

1 Like

I think it was some comment in a Spore video or something, i think that is what gets most people here

If you are talking about this video i have posted before, thats the video with
the highest view count and thrive-related i ever seen in youtube
im not sure, but i think ~~390k views

1 Like

I actually heard of Thrive a long time ago back when I was into spore and all that, cannot really remember the date maybe 2015ish?. At the time It was not the first attempt at making a spore-like I had heard of. With the other projects going silent I assumed the worse and never really looked into Thrive more than merely hearing of it. That is, until relatively recently when a friend of mine invited me to the Thrive discord server around the end of 2019. My interest obviously quickly grew from there.

2 Likes

I can relate with that experience

BBecuase while i was watching a spore gameplay video when I was 7 (i think it was like 2013 or something) someone mentioned thrive and I looked everywherere for it but i didnt find it becuase my dumb 7 year old brain couldnt do it

I thought it hadnt released yet so i waited until it was like 2017 when I went back to spore gameplay vids someone mentioned thrive again and this time i was smart enough to find it
I think everyone knows the rest of the story

2 Likes

Very similar to my case, too!

2 Likes

I lurked for three years and i got caught up on all the releases

I decided not to make an account at the time because i was too young

Not being able to be a part of the community made me crazy so i took a break from thrive for like a year in 2019

Then i made an account

2 Likes

I learned about Thrive when I was searching for games involving microbiology and that were open-source. This was one of the very few microbiology related ones and because of my luck, it was open-source too. At first, I had lots of trouble getting it installed on my computer (Thrive needed some newer libraries than I had, I think, and there were a bunch of times where compilation failed). And playing it was as if I had become colorblind (due to what seems to have been problems with Intel graphics, all compound clouds had a grayish color) and it crashed bunches of times. Thanks to the switch to Godot, it all works fine today on my computer.

3 Likes

I had broke my disc for spore so I couldn’t disable the anti-piracy, so instead I went on google looking for a game like it, and found this around the 6th page.

2 Likes

I’m sorry about that… how did you break it?

Scratched to death, because I was young with even younger siblings

EDIT: as in, left it on a desk, or floor, not literally scratching it

1 Like

I see…
Well this is a more… unique way to find Thrive :laughing: :f:

The force thrive always finds its way to the Balance.
Escape from destiny, you can’t, hm? HMMMMMM???
(insert yoda’s ep V laugh here)

Also

What else did you find?

I honestly don’t remember, I think, species: ALRE(I think), some flash game with platypuses, and some really terrible flash games

I might try out all those flash games when I get the chance
Also
I’m guessing the flash game with the platypus put Spore in the description or the title or at least something related to it :thinking: