Ideas for the Ascension Stage [Put your ideas in this thread]

Ha! Big big big big big brain!

No, after the Ascension stage i imagine there would be a sandbox mode where you coexist with with other life forms from cell to animal, but you get to change whatever you. You also cannot die.

But isn’t this exactly the ascension stage description? It’s meant as a post-credits gameplay where you can just do everything and tweak everything with your new unlimited powers.

3 Likes

I think it is

Yeah, it is just an idea of mine. Maybe I can put my proposed sandbox idea in a mod?

To clarify the sandbox mode would make you start off as a cell and you would still progress but you get to change anything when you are in that stage.

Well

Dunno, sounds like your idea is part of the game

2 Likes

Well I got so lucky that I guessed the entirety of the Ascension stage then?

From the old wiki (the page hasn’t been moved to the new wiki yet):
“This is the endgame where you can zoom about the galaxy as a metaphysical being, shaping and observing what you wish. It’s been a long journey and you deserve it.”
And
" Ascension is a key concept in Thrive, comparable to “winning the game” in other videogames. It is a state where a sentient organism is transformed to energy form by an Ascension Gate and thus it gets god-like powers, using the energy of the universe itself (essentially doing miracles for free).

What Ascension does is that, provided you have researched God Tools researches, there will be a new “God Tools” panel accessible anywhere in gameplay, allowing you to change anything you want. From creating whole solar systems to smallest bacteria, from destroying whole civilizations to possesing one of its members, all possible."

The page was last edited in 2016, so you are very late with your idea.

2 Likes

Damn. Well I guess I should have read the wiki more.

On a related note, there aren’t really many ideas for the Ascension stage because in concept it’s really simple. It’s just winning the game and then you get to do whatever you want. Unlike the first six stages, , the Ascension stage doesn’t have a lot of uncertainty around it as it’s probably going to have 90% of the development already done but with a toolbar that can change anything.

I like that! I hope the devs notice it.

When posting, please first make sure that you aren’t responding to a post that is old unless what you have to say is very relevant or important

2 Likes

My idea would be making your own galaxy, with auto or player made planets and then being able to edit planets or delete them etc, basically a galaxy creator, then you could play as races and exit to make them an ai depending on what behaivor you want, and population the galaxy with various races, maybe even being able to bend physics, such as making metalworking possible underwater, or bacteria able to be sentient

Sorry for the necropost, but I have a idea that I think would make the ending of the game much more climatic and give you one, final challenge you have to face before you can ascend. I think it would be cool if the ascension gate took a while to activate once fully built, but during this time everyone who was not your allies would be launching everything they had at you to try and destroy your ascension gate and then your entire empire. It’s not very good to have an enemy that could literally create a universe to punish you for eternity, after all. The only people who wouldn’t attack you would be close allies, that perhaps you made some sort of agreement with to let them ascend alongside you. Maybe in easier difficulties, your enemies would stop attacking you once they destroyed your ascension gate, or wouldn’t even attack at all.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this idea posted before. It might have even been my idea… but this was definitely something I wanted (not necessarily everyone turning on the player if they had good enough diplomacy skills).

1 Like

Once upon a time, life appeared in the Thrive galaxy. Civilisations started spreading, and interacted with each other. It seemed like there was always new science to discover, but the reality defined by science was finite, which implied that the case was the same with science. The first hints of “the code of reality itself” were met with suspicion, but repeated experiments only confirmed it. It was possible to change the reality, with no regard to limitations such as “the conservation of mass”. A device was started to be built by different empires. If it was ever completed, it could amplify the little glitches present in reality, and enable the owners of the device to do whatever they wanted to do. The “gate to godhood” as it was called, was first completed by a species called the Uteen. They were a harmless species, having an economy based on toothbrushes and no exceptional qualities or ambitions. But that appearence was what enabled to be the one that succeeded. You see, the first one to build the “god tool” would be able to destroy all other life in the galaxy. That is why a civilisation starting to work on that project would often result in all their neighbours declaring war on them. The harmless appearence of the Uteen helped them in that regard. When it became known that they had indeed completed the project, all of the species in the galaxy declared war on them. It was true, they were invincible and the posessor of infinite strength. And they used it only for self defence. But, it turns out, there were some rules more fundemental than the “code of reality”. Whenever a thousand civilisations entered one solar system and launched countless projectiles, time seemed to have slowed. “Lag”, as it was called, was decided to be used against the Uteen. After ascension, they could no longer be injured, but they could still be contained. Their game file was confiscated after the “battle of crash”, and divided into 15 pieces, given to the victorious forces that day, who became the ones with permenants seats in the United Species Security Counsil which as formed after the war. But the Uteen could not be seperated from the god tools. Not happy with the great unjustice that was done to them, they slowly exerted their influence to the tool bearers. “Power corrupts”, the effect was called. Some of the tool bearers did great atrocities to other civilisations, some destroyed themselves, and some chose to get rid of it. Since a god tool doesn’t contain the whole power, it is also possible to obtain it from them with brute force. It is said that if an empire can collect all the god tools, they will be faced with two choises. Either releasing the Uteen from their eternal dormancy, or facing them in a final battle for the power of complete godhood.

Not a really good idea, it forces the player to go around and search for them and then also forces the player to fight (both options end up in a fight). Also I don’t really like for there to be a static lore in thrive, if there is lore it should be procedural and different for each save file.

1 Like

Yeah, the devs very clearly don’t want Thrive to have lore, and it wouldn’t make much sense since it’s a simulation game. Maybe post it in that just for fun lore thread.

2 Likes

What if comitting war crimes and breaking the galactic code prevented you from ascending? And what if, there was an empire that did just that and couldn’t ascend, named, say, grox?

Why would laws imposed by sapients influence who gets to exploit the laws of the universe? Also, what galactic laws? They dont exist if there is no galactic superpotency or if I dont recognize them as legittimate. What war crimes? War crimes dont exist unless a civilization decides to designate certain actions as war crimes and I recognize them as such, if I refuse to recognize them then they arent war crimes.

2 Likes

@Amir suggested ascension gates to be powered by stellar explosions and @Lipovomit suggested powering them with black hole bombs. Why not both?

Stars that can go supernova are big and they exist for a short amount of time, not ideal for life. But every star (or anything for that matter) can be turned into black holes.

So what about making this the default: You species develops a technology to make kugerblitzes and sends one to its sun. It consumes the sun, the matter falls into the black hole in the form of an accretion disk, which makes the black hole spin. When it is completed, you cover it with a dyson mirror and send light to its ergosphere. But the purpose isn’t getting a steady supply of energy. You make the mirror strong, so it stores the light it absorbs. When it blows up, the mass that was turned into rotational energy while the star was dying is released. Every spaceship in orbit (your whole population) powers its ascension machine and makes the people inside ascend. All the spaceships are obliterated in this process, the ascended civilisation leaves no trace behind, and life can’t start again in its home planet because there is no star.

If this is a hard project and ftl is very easy, space exploration can still happen.

1 Like