Ideas for the Aware Stage [Put your ideas in this thread]

as i was saying that is part of the reason that SOME humans are nocturnal and we have evidence of humans sleeping in shifts

camofloge, have it so that the color of your skin/fur/scales can deternin how dificult it is for predators or prey to eat you

The article you cited was about how ancient mammals were nocturnal, nothing about humans being nocturnal.

1 Like

there are humans like me who in the night feel more awake than in the day which either means humans A. were previously both nocturnal and diurnal or B. are on our way to that and the more likely option is A

However, being tired all day and awake at night can also be caused by poor napping habits, anxiety, depression, caffeine consumption, blue light from devices, sleep disorders, and even diet.

From Tired but Can't Sleep: Why It Happens and What to Do About It.

let me rephrase that. there are humans like me who in the night feel more awake than in the day and prefer to sleep in the day to sleeping at night as thy feel more tired after sleeping through the night but not after sleeping at day which either means humans A. were previously both nocturnal and diurnal or B. are on our way to that and the more likely option is A

seasonal fur changes like with rabbits

False dichotomy, it is totally possible that you just slept during the day so many times that your brain just got used to that.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always been like that and Iā€™ve met several other people that are the same and at least for me itā€™s because the sun is pretty much always in my eyes when i go outside during the day but when i go outside during the night everything is visible and my eyes donā€™t hurt and Iā€™m pretty sure that is relatively common

Are beavers intelligent? They build dams. Lets say that a group of beavers placed wood in front of a river. But there was an exceptional amount of rain that day. The river couldnā€™t be stopped, and send the woods to the sea, with beavers on top of those. The beavers, in a moment of desperate ingenuity, tied the woods to each other with ropes or whatever they could find and built a primitive boat. The boat went to a shore by itself and beavers were saved. They then remembered how to do this, and told others. Soon, a shipmaking industry started among beavers. They even discovered how to make a sail. Different beaver ships started having naval battles.

The question is this. Which stage do the beavers belong? I thought awakening, but normal beavers, even though they make dams, arenā€™t considered equal to paleolithic humans, the modification they do to the enviroment is similar to an aware stage creature building a nest. But naval battles sound like something that happens in society stage. So which one is it? The beavers are exactly the same as earth beavers. They only have primitive ropes and sails, which they use to build armadas, as big as their pre agricultural population allows.

Reading the wiki will clarify the stage transitions. In this specific case this is the relevant page:

And here is quoted the exact stage transition part:

The Awakening Stage begins when the playerā€™s species achieves sapience.

Beavers arenā€™t sapient, so they arenā€™t in the awakening stage.

Okay I read it and maybe large scale cooperation and complex language(sapience) would be needed, more than when building a dam which would make it awakening. Ropes would be tools and sails a technology similar to clothes. I am now in the opinion that they are awakening (and earth beavers canā€™t make naval wars)

likely end portion of aware and before sapient

Instinctual behaviours doesnā€™t make them at the end of aware stage, bees and other colonial insects create hives much more complex than beaver dams by instinct.

1 Like

Beavers are demonstrably not as intelligent as chimps or dolphins, so no.

Building dams for beavers falls more in line with other instinct driven behaviors. They do it not because they innovated the technical knowledge to do so, but because their brain wiring and dopamine system gives them an innate drive to do so.

Individual beavers then learn how to make dams most effectively, better achieving that dopamine reward (learned behavior enhancing an instinctual drive).
ā€¦ but they donā€™t communicate with each other concisely enough to teach the next generation effectively, (not beyond the pups simply observing the parents) so that learned behavior starts essentially at zero for each individual.

Aside from that, they also show no signs of innovations beyond that instinctual drive. They learn how to do what their instincts say more effectively, but they do not learn how to do anything else.
They will build a dam, or a den, but never an apartment complex. They do not have the capacity to learn how.

what i meant is the beginning of the end of aware stage

To me, sapience is achieved when a species starts to value things that arenā€™t important to their survival (e.g. philosophy, science, religion, beliefs, art, etc.). Some of those things such as science or language can help a species survive, but arenā€™t ultimately necessary to their survival.

2 Likes

in that case bees could be considered sapient because if given colored balls to play with for long enough bees will often look for balls to play with without looking for sugar water immediately afterwards if i understood what you meant

The fact that the behavior is primarily instinct driven means that, the existence of the behavior is irrelevant to how close the species is to sapience.

As fralegend pointed out, eusocial insects create complex structures. They are nowhere near capable of becoming sapient.

There is a point where learned behaviors can be combined with instinctual behaviors, as I mentioned.
the difference is that in order to get closer to sapience, you need to rely primarily on learned behaviors and problem solving first.

1 Like

i think sapience should (other than itā€™s actual definition) be defined as the ability to hold back instincts to achieve a goal made harder by some of your instinctual behaviors