Ideas for the Aware Stage [Put your ideas in this thread]

That means human intervention can cause sapience in other species? The point here is create sapience within a species, but without sapient intervention.

A single ant would be incapable of surviving by itself, so they obviously have to create complex social structure to survive. Hominids didn’t have to create complex societies, they simply sticked together to survive.

Except ape societies are very complex.

If they learn to do the same things in every generation and unable to innovate, I think it is still like an instict. The dna doesn’t outright code the information, it codes how to create it once the organism is developed.

that’s like saying how to learn use a computer specifically is coded into our dna as even without someone teaching them every human can find out how to use a computer in a relatively short amount of time but some learn faster than others.
but that is incorrect as computers haven’t been around that long. and that’s just humans having big brains and learning fast

1 Like

Computer is an innovation. If you give cavemen the parts of a computer they wouldn’t be able to assemble it. An example to what I was talking about could be ducklings following their mother. How to recognise their mother isn’t coded, they followthe first moving object they see.
If we say the instinct is “follow moving object”+“which is big and feathery” then the first part is genetic, the second part is not.
The case with humans is “move your hands to get what you need”+“which means working at a computer factory to earn a salary”, the second part is much more complicated, and being complicated is what makes it an innovation. This is what I think.

if you taught a caveman how to read and gave it instructions to build the computer along with the computer parts it would know how to build it. regular humans also need to know how to read and have the instructions but what i was saying is that anyone can learn to use a computer not build one with relative ease

Using a computer is learned behavior.
Building a computer is learned behavior.

A beaver building a dam is an instinctual behavior. not learned. They are born with the desire to chew wood and place it in the water. (At the very least)
An individual, experienced beaver building an optimal dam, is an instance of learned behavior, compounding upon already existing instinctual behavior.
That’s what I was alluding to in my previous post.

I’ll use another example.
All predatory animals that immediately leave their children to fend for themselves, are born knowing exactly how to kill using the tools their body provides. If they didn’t, they would die.
This goes for basically any arthropod you can think of, probably most fish, and probably most reptiles, off the top of my head.

This is completely separate from learned behavior, which essentially serves to allow organisms to adapt to new things that their instinctual behaviors might not be equipped to prepare them for.

Think of Instinctual behaviors as the baseline, and learned behavior as an amended and additive factor to an organisms functions.

Different organisms rely on different mixtures of instinctual vs learned behaviors, and the two types of behavior can mix and interact in all sorts of ways.
Beavers, like all other complex organisms, have both.

1 Like

i was saying that using what i understood from post 243 (if every generation learns something in almost the same way the dna contains the instructions to learn it) i was saying why that is incorrect and explaining why i said it was incorrect hence the

also humans do use both we just rely more on learned behavior to survive but leave a human (or three) on an island with some tools and enough plants and animals to feed them for a lifetime and they will rely more on instinct than learned behavior and dogs (the ones that can cause damage at least) also rely more on learned behavior than instinct after a while because they have to in order to survive with humans

1 Like

robotic lean

1 Like

Hi everyone! I just thought I’d share a little idea here that might help solve an issue with the Aware Editor that I’ve seen a few people pointing out. I’m not sure if this is the right thread for it, so if it needs to be moved to another, that’s ok.

Because Thrive’s organism editors centre around slowly making modifications to your species over many generations, if a player wanted to make a late multicellular/aware species from scratch in the Freebuild editor, it would be incredibly difficult to do due to the sheer amount of things that they needed to design that would usually be done over many generations in the base game, and it could be quite stressful and time-consuming due to you having to start from the very beginning.

I think to help with this issue a creature template generator that the player would enter their desired starting characteristics for their creature could be added. The template generator would have various different options that would be seperated into three main types :

1. Toggleable options (perhaps with minor tweakable settings), such as basic organ systems (cardiovascular, nervous, digestive, respiratory…), sensory organs, locomotory organs, orifices (mouths, anuses…) and other similar basic characteristics of animals (there would likely be options for autotrophic organisms too, such as plants).

2. Sliders! These various settings would allow you to further specialize your template organism, with sliders corresponding to what heat range the organism is able to live in, what pressures it can withstand, the organism’s size, whether your organism is aquatic or terrestrial, and further specialization of selected organ systems.

3. Preset Parts! This section would allow you to select some prebuilt parts (such as basic template limbs and cell types) and bring them into the editor, speeding up the creation process a bit as you don’t have to create these parts from scratch.

The resulting creature would likely just look like a blob, and wouldn’t be very effective in a real situation, but it could withstand the selected environment and could hopefully serve as a good base for the player’s creativity.

I hope this idea isn’t too ridiculously ambitious, and can help create an accessible Aware Freebuild Editor, even if it’s just a tiny bit. Thanks for reading my post!

1 Like

I think there should be a Sleep motive, when that reaches 0, your creature falls comatose until you reach full Sleep again.
It would be regained by sleeping in your nest (obviously).
It should be unbuckled from Energy, like in Survivalcraft where Sleep and Hunger are two different motives.
There should also be a Stamina motive, which depletes if you run for too long (how long is determined by a multiple of factors, including how good your heart is), and will regenerate automatically at the cost of faster Energy depletion.
These, combined with Hunger, Thirst, and overall Health and Energy, should make for a challenging but fun game.
Right?

1 Like

how about the player chooses whether or not their organism sleeps. dolphins don’t sleep, they rest half of their brain at a time instead.

2 Likes

Oh. Right. I forgot about the fact that Dolphins only half-sleep.
So yea, Sleep should be a toggleable motive.
Oh and fun fact: most fish, including sharks, sleepswim to prevent drowning.

2 Likes

A good idea for sleep could be having some sort of sensory buildup, which increases with more things perceived and decreases when your perception is clear. This buildup would cause various problems with your perception and other functions until you bring down your sensory buildup

Sleep would then be a custom state in which you turn off your senses in order to get your sensory buildup down to manageable levels at a faster rate

1 Like

so sensory overload if you don’t deprive yourself of your senses?

1 Like

I wonder…
Do dolphins dream?
I know that cats dream…

1 Like

dolphins do dream since each half of their brain contains a different consciousness

Oh. Okay then.
Wait, don’t human brains contain two conciousnesses?

no, unless the corpus collosum is split in half

Oh.
Well…

According to this video, the brain always had two conciousnesses that work together or something. They were always seperate.
Seperate, but together.