Mammal extinction forum game

So after the incredible success of my last forum game I thought “this is fun!” and had an idea for a forum game. The situation is thus: one day, every single mammal on earth died. I tried to think of a reason but I figured that enough nukes to kill off rats would also kill, like, everything else. Anyways, it is the players job to choose a non-mammalian creature that exists today and choose how they evolve to fill the thousands of empty niches.

Here’s the format and an example.

Name:
ancestor:
food source and/or predators: (neither of these needs to be comprehensive and will be filled in by other players)
adaptations:

name: terrcroc
ancestor: African crocs
food source: any land animal really.
predators: at it’s size and time it had no predator though their corpses are eaten by birds.
adaptations: given the lack of land predators terrcrocs evolved to fill that niche, with long legs under their body and more damage-dealing/less grabby-grabby teeth. these beasts also gain more land-based camouflage and the ability to pounce. This clade varies in size from 2.5 feet (almost a meter) to 7 feet (2 meters).

have fun and repopulate the world with giant lizards!

1 Like

Giant lizards? You know nothing

Name: roroach
ancestor: Hissing cockroach
food source: plants, other of his species, corpses, and some lizards.
Predators: Predated by birds.
adaptations: It muted the muscles that it used to quickly expell air so that they could inspire air inside the spiracles, enabling it to do active respiration, this allowed it to reach the 25 cm (10 inchs). It’s legs became longer and it’s mandibales are bigger and have stronger muscles. Their legs have 3 digits that allow them to have a better grip of the ground. Their sound organ has also became more complex, making it able to do a larger range of sounds that it uses to scare predators.

1 Like

Name: lou Carcolh (Dragon Snail)
Ancestor: Cone Snail.
Food source: Reptiles, crustaceans, and and other invertebrates up to the size of a midsize dog.
Predators: Large crustaceans with shells too thick for there venomous darts to pierce, parasitic flatworms.
Adaptations: Developed active respiration in the form of simple lungs and a more efficient circulatory system with a three chambered heart enabling them to reach phenomenal sizes. They also developed a thicker skin to retain moisture better and stronger muscles to better support themselves on land. The venom in there darts has become more potent, killing prey by directly damaging the central nervous system; resulting in brain death occurring in under five minutes. They grow between 5-6 feet long with there shells accounting for 2-3 of those feet.

1 Like

I kinda feel weird when I post on my own forum games, but what can i say? I like my own ideas! (And I love the invertebrate focus.)

Neododo
Ancestor: pigeons
Locations: the Americas, especially the former urban areas.
Food sources: small bugs and grasses
Predators: other birds mostly, though southwestern species have to deal with reptilian predators and Caribbean Neododos have to fear dragon snails.
Adaptions: size, running speed and gastroliths are the main ones. Weighing in at up to 45 pounds and a meter (yard) tall they are the main grazers of the Eastern US. They eat nearly anything and travel in herds. Larger birds lack the ability to fly but the chicken-sized species can still fly short distances.

I like the way this thing is going! Good job guys!

name: screeching bug.
ancestor: roroach.
food source: anything smaller than it.
predators: none (when fully grown).
adaptations: the screeching bug has become even larger than its predecessor, fully grown membors of the species sometimes reaching 1 meter in length (though these are extreme cases), it has developed vocal cords, allowing it to give off an extremely loud screech that disorients and confuses prey.
the screeching bugs mandibles are sharper and stronger as well.