Music Feedback

If you’ve made music (whether Thrive-related or not) and want some feedback, post it here.

Bestow upon me your words of wisdom…

1 Like

It has a nice atmosphere to it but feels very thin. That’s partly down to the small number of instruments, and partly because all those instruments are dry and similarly positioned. I would add plenty of reverb to instruments focused in the high frequency range - snare and brass - and mess about with panning. The main motif overstays its welcome a bit too, try and find some variation.

Also, I’ve come to the conclusion in my own work that putting sound effects in game music isn’t the best idea. Sound effects would be handled by the game itself. Having two sources playing a siren and footsteps simultaneously would get confusing and the effects in the music would be redundant. It’s fine if they’re more subtly integrated, but here they’re rather prominent.

If it’s any consolation, this reminds me a lot of my earliest attempts at Thrive themes. The static, overly robotic timing and velocities, overuse of one motif, and thin texture sent me right back to this. So keep at it, there’s promise here.

3 Likes

I could have posted these questions elsewhere, but I’ve realised they fall under the exact purpose of this thread.

For those of you familiar with my music, what’s your favourite track of mine? What about it makes it your favourite? These questions include music both related and unrelated to Thrive.

The reason I ask is I’m currently experiencing a minor crisis trying to understand what I can do to make my music sound “professional”. Apparently I’ve come close on several occasions but more than often miss the mark, and I want to understand what I may have done differently in those cases.

Por Isso Sai, truly a masterpiece. it outshines all other music to ever have existed through its exponential lyrics, the incomparable rhythm, etc.
Of All Possible Futures.
I love the tune of the piano, and it manages to stick in my head. I like how generally slow it is, it’s somewhat relaxing. To me, it initially encapsulates the image of a bleak future; silence, a lack of hope. The transition to a slight bit more ‘activity’ [i’m not much of a musical guy], to me, seems like an attempt at regaining hope which is eventually fruitless [becoming relatively silent once again]. The scattered activity from there makes it gives an image of many loose and hopeless attempts at restoring a bright future. Nevermind the fact that the choice of keys gives it that negative undertone [yet again, not a musical guy].

Maybe I pointlessly rambled, and wasted 5 minutes. But this is why I enjoy Of All Possible Futures. The image of a bleak future, with said future reflected in the title.

It’s probably not the same for others, but ¯_(ツ)_/¯
1 Like

I know that this thread has been silent for a really long time, but I didnt see the point in making a new one just to post this piece of music. It was designed to be in either the microbial stage or the multicellular stage, so have a listen, and feel free to give some feedback!

9 Likes

I don’t know why, but it gives off almost a Terraria vibe to me, from the seemingly synthetic sounds to the relative calmness off it. Sounds like it could be a new Ocean Biome theme, or maybe even a new Jungle theme for Terraria.

Otherwise said, its amazing!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve just started trying ambient music.

Thats pretty good, did you make this?

Why yes i did!
It was sort of an experimental piece to test out some techniques

Why thats fantastic!
Also, separate from the thread, but y’know the whole blender thing you were doing?

Thanks! oh, and what about it

No problem, and I was going to mention the Umbruke, my big fungoid guys. Since then, i’ve changed their designs, and I’ve been doing a lot of digital art.
Lets go to the TU blender thread.

Very well done. A lovely atmosphere with some great sound design without it being overbearing.

The one critique I can think of at this time is to reduce the panning of bass-heavy elements. You’ve used a lot of ping pong type delays and while it works excellently with treble instruments, bass frequencies should be restricted to the centre channel as much as possible. Either remove some bass from those tracks or reduce the width of the delay pan.

What techniques in particular are you referring to?

Why thank you!

1. I had no idea that the bass was panning, but I think i know what you’re talking about.
  2. when i mean ‘some’, i mean the bare minimum of actual techniques. recently i watched a video on how to make ambient music. one of the techniques was how to properly make a bassline, how to accompany it, etc.

Anyways, a huge thanks to the positive feedback, and I will try and make a V2 with a longer duration, and perhaps more balanced instruments.

1 Like

Er… sorry for necroposting… TO THE POINT

Two questions;

1. Is thrive currently looking for music outside of the microbe stage?
  2. What is the main program used for creating music (I realize this probably varies from person to person and therefore I don’t expect a singular response)?

AFAIK only the microbe stage soundtrack is pretty finalized. So, yes.

I personally use Cubase, sometimes with a little Audacity sprinkled in if I’m doing a lot of waveform editing. Any full-featured DAW would suffice though, such as Logic or Ableton.

2 Likes

Let’s say that a… erm… friend wants to create some music for thrive dev. How would it work? How would it be sent? What would the music be preset to sound like?

1 Like

First off, please don’t double post. If you have something more to say, edit your existing post.

To apply for the development team, follow the usual procedure, which you can find on the Get Involved page of our website. Include examples of past work. Then you can submit new music.

If you just want to try your hand at making something to see what we think without having to apply, upload it somewhere like YouTube and post it in this thread.