Well that shouldn’t take too long to watch…
I decided that I won’t EVER have the time to download all KSP mods, so here’s my new setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WQm42x
48 GB RAM, $100 away from exceeding the budget. I saved this money because I swapped out the 1660 with the cheapest 1650 G6 on the list.
Edit: Decided on a SAROS C740S wireless headset, because why not? It has a mic, so I can scream at random people to cause chaos!
Edit 2: Looks like my original 1650 was out of stock… Geus I’ll have to get another GPU. Sad, because I am now just $20 before exceeding the budget…
Maybe JustaDumbThriver is trying to futureproof the computer? ![]()
Yeah, who knows how resource-intensive future games will be…
I decided to go for 32gb ram instead. And because the Q300l has bad airflow (apparently), I decided to get the Versa H18. Here’s the updated list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8NpZv4
How much money is now left to the limit?
I decided to go for a 1660 again, so now only $30 below the limit…
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yMYpMC
I suppose this should suffice for my purposes (AA gaming at most).
We’ll see how many more changes are to come…
Oh yeah, I just remembered I want to do a KSP game where I can take on contracts by the forumfolk… I should do that for RSS/RO/RP1.
So that FG will start once you have assembled the new PC, correct?
Yes, because my laptop would turn into a thermonuclear bomb the second I boot that mod up.
I see. Hopefully you don’t forget about the FG by then.
trust me, having more than 16 is awesome. There’s a serious thing basically everyone does which can and will use up 16 GB of ram: your browser. It won’t used 48 GB, or probably even 32 GB, but it will use up enough that with even 24 GB of RAM you’ll struggle to play games and, say, listen to a youtube video at the same time. 32 GB is probably enough for most gamers and programmers, I have 64 because it was cost effective, and it genuinely does feel like overkill, but it’s nice to know if I feel like running physics simulations or LLMs or I want to mount a 32 GB ramdisk, no one can stop me.
Is anything 64+ very overkill?
ask @hhyyrylainen I’m not paying for any more ram unless I upgrade to a fully new motherboard, but of course my use cases are pretty normie-scale.
So Hhyyrylainen has a 64+?
112 GB last I heard, which was in 2019 (I recall in another thread he might’ve said 128 GB more recently)
I suppose that’s needed for running Thrive and stuff well.
Since the i7 12700KF jumped in price for some reason, I was now overbudget, and I had to go with the i5 12600KF. Good thing 154 is the base price, so it might go on sale when I start the build and I save money!
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d26MKq
It doesn’t seem like too much of a downgrade…