Quick Question Thread

Not for me, sounds like a bug

I was going to say that of course they animate, but now when I tested, it turns out they don’t…
So they have broken at some point…

Opened an issue:

Edit: I already made a PR fixing the issue: https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/pull/2962

Seems like it was caused by a Godot update that renamed the right animation, and I also had to find a new way to make sure the animation loops.

Will there be a phosphate-producing organelle? I can’t be a motionless plant without it.(

1 Like

I’ve seen one of the devs talk about this before, so I’ll summarize what they said.

It isn’t actually possible to create phosphate from cellular processes IRL. Creating such a thing in game would not be scientifically accurate.

3 Likes

When will there be the planet generator

There is

1 Like

What happens if you make a giant circle of cells? (The player’s cell being attached to the start and end of the circle) Would it glitch out?

I think it should work without crashing. It’ll just work so that the cell completing the circle will attach to the side it happens to hit physically first. Cells can’t attach to multiple existing colony cells.

It isn’t actually possible to create phosphate from cellular processes IRL. Creating such a thing in game would not be scientifically accurate.

That would make for a fine mod though.

Is there a tool a player can use to provide stats/analysis of the biota in your world? I was reading up on aquatic food webs and read that in the oceans, the biomass of primary producers is actually oftentimes less than the biomass of primary consumers. I wondered if the such was also true in my playthroughs in Thrive, and I think it would be worthwhile to add an easily accessible tool/stat/graph/whatever that lets a player analyse the biota in their world. Not only does it help the player make informed decisions, but it also essentially makes us all testers of auto-evo; if the system is working, we would expect food chains and food webs to reflect Earth-like conditions (if an earth-like environment is present). Being able to share this data can help us see what needs more work.

1 Like

There’s a placeholder “food chain” button in the editor for it. Hopefully someone at some point will work on it. I’ve already done much of the heavy lifting by implementing the auto-evo prediction for the player. It would be relatively simple to capture that kind of data for all species. Then the actual task of visualizing that data needs to be done, which is the harder part.

2 Likes

since multicellularity already exists in thrive, technically the second stage is implemented to a degree, but you can switch between.
however, microbe stage is only 56.1% complete so there is that.

You are not a multicellular organism when you bind to others of your species.
You are a “colony” of independent single cell organisms.

You will only fit the “multicellular” definition once your cells are dependent upon each other for survival, and therefore unable to leave each other.

1 Like

oh. i didn’t know. thanks for giving me the difference.

1 Like

Why is the game language selection under the “Sound” tab in the options? Wouldn’t it be more fit under “Misc”?

Edit: we won’t be getting voice acting, will we? At least not in the foreseeable future.

Probably not, but there’s so much stuff to dump into the misc tab that I think it works well enough to fill out the sound tab with the language options. I hope that people would have the experience of playing other games with voice acting where you would naturally find the language option under the sound options.

This was probably asked before, but what project will Revolutionary Game Studios (RGS) work on after Thrive? I’d expect the dev team to maintain Thrive and when there are enough people, I guess that one team would be for Thrive maintenance and the other for the project.

Given that RGS should focus on scientifically accurate games, I would not be surprised they did something like Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey or Thrive Odyssey (Thrive, but more human alternate/history oriented).

@hhyyrylainen, what is your opinion on the matter?

Maybe it could be a situation where the previous dominant species, instead of going extinct, could leave the planet thus allowing for other species to rise in dominance yet again.

I guess it is theoretically possible that we would reach a point where there’s really nothing to add to Thrive anymore. But that is still probably at least decades away. I would take a guess that it would be pretty difficult to decide on another game project to start, but likely not everyone would be on board, after all people volunteer because they are interested in making Thrive.

3 Likes

I hope that one day, RGS will have enough money to hire several programmers.

1 Like