Planet Generator

You might have seen on the most recent progress update that we have a Planet Generator Prototype. Here it is! It’s an html file, which is what your browser can run. So once you download it, opening it should open up a new tab in your browser. It takes a second to load. The top left panel shows the world in a flat plane, the bottom left panel shows it divided into patches(it is still very basic). The bottom right panel shows it as a globe which can actually be moved around! The top right panel shows some data you can change and customize. If you change a value, it lags for a second to update, so instead of dragging bars, just click where you want it to go. I’m open to feedback. Play around and hope you all enjoy!

ThriveWorldGenerator.html

15 Likes

Wow, I can make a planet be a literal HELL! (Except the water is still there, I can’t make mass destruction… maybe later)
Also, the planet’s poles are like this:

Right click on the planet to go inside it.

3 Likes

nice
ohno

7 Likes

Now worlds are hexagons instead of cells

2 Likes

Interesting. As noted, the poles are screwy. I would like the north and south poles to be clearly marked so I can easily reorient the globe. At the moment I can’t tell which is which. I don’t understand what the “levels” value does. I suppose this is fine, as prototypes go. It is no Songs of the Eons, and I’m uncertain how this prototype can be developed into something which can be integrated into Thrive.

3 Likes

Well, keep in mind this is a prototype. Prototypes are basically something that is made to test with and represent an idea that is still in the works, to both see how well it really works, and help determine what needs to be better. Prototypes are generally going to be bare bones, and often time not fully polished as people often dont want to pour too much effort into something they might not ever use to begin with.

2 Likes

In differential geometry, there’s certain surfaces like a sphere where there’s no consistent way to map it to a single plane, but all manifolds can be mapped to a patchwork of planes. Try generating a northern hemisphere map centered on the pole, and then generating a southern hemisphere map that matches the northern hemisphere along the equator.

I’m pretty sure there’s algorithms for generating terrain on a sphere directly, too, to avoid any distortion.

Seed ‘1’ or ‘0’ gives the base world, right?

Suggestions & Bugs

• There should be units to measure the change of an aspect (e.g. temperature).
  • There’s always a lag when changing a feature, except for ‘Planet Detail’.
  • The lowest planet detail is not realistic enough. It should stop when the planet looks like a 12-faced sphere.
3 Likes

This doesn’t seem to work on mobile for some reason…
It doesn’t show the planet itself
Other than that though, it’s a solid prototype.

1 Like

For me the sphere doesn’t update. I’m gonna use this for make a TU planet

1 Like

You are making a thing for the TU?

Yes, but I don’t know if I’ll finish it.

1 Like

I saw star citizen using some idea looks cool.
they use lesser data to generate a planet which more natural.
humidity map and temperature map.
I think thrive should take some reference.

My Idea is base on how much water is the planet and how close the planet to the sun to generate the temperature map to one temperature(one face the sun one not).
Then generate plate boundaries on the height map.
Generate height(or volcano) follow the plate boundaries.
Water amount affect the sea level.
Because plate tectonics, the height map pixel will shift according to time.
Then we tune the temperature map with those volcano(heat up?) and orogeny(block the wind).
According to temperature map, sea level and orogeny we can get humidity map.

humidity map, temperature map, height map.
plant will grow according to temperature map and humidity.
rock color will change by humidity and height.
snow and water will change by humidity and temperature map.

Old mapping they generate to use—
Q0WQZO5WTO3QDZ1HTWG
New mapping—

If you have time you can watch the whole video

2 Likes

I like seed 666909 and 474686. One has 2 super continents, while the latter is an island world.
Edit: 208189225 (or 20 8 18 9 22 5) is also interesting

-527 is rather interesting, just a striated series of continents. So many little land bridges…

Seed 1 looks a bit like earth, just all jumbled and connected.

On the left you have a UK near backwards North America connected to sideways South America , while the right has a massive Saudi Arabia connected to a massive Madagascar with some European landmasses connected to them. And when I right clicked the globe it zoomed in.

1 Like

It doesn’t even nearly look like earth

2 Likes

Exactly, I’m not mad you are.

2 Likes

But, what is madness? What is sanity? What is normal? What is anormal?

2 Likes

Imagine that thrive will use this to make the #future-game:space-stage

1 Like