Quick Question Thread

No, as it’s not a fixed rate of time.

1 Like

What are the key differences between non-raytracing and raytracing graphics in how they operate?

1 Like

Everything? Well, not literally everything, I think raytracing still uses meshes made up of triangles but the whole approach of shooting out hundreds or thousands of rays for each pixel on screen and detecting what they hit to come up with the colours for pixels is entirely different from starting from triangles, applying transformation matrices to them and then flattening those shapes onto a 2D screen before calculating colour values using shaders where shadows are approximated using shadow maps (which are the entire scene redrawn from the point of view of a light source).

3 Likes

So raytracing is basically how lighting works in real life? It sure seems more simple than traditional lighting the way you describe it, but I understand why it requires so much computing power.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s basically the main point, by simulating how light really works you can get really realistic results very easily. Instead in traditional rendering you need to use all kinds of fancy tricks to approximate how light really works, which is much harder to program but requires much less computing power.

4 Likes

help me i can’t login on devcenter to test multiplayer

thats kind of off topic so why don’t you say it in the questions thread and not here
also welcome because you are new

How are you trying to log in (which login method)?

thats kind of off topic so why don’t you say it in the questions thread and not here
also welcome because you are new

Welcome to the Community Forums, @JrStivers20 and @Johanliebert!

2 Likes

With current development speed, how do you devs expect to finish the 0.6.x series to be completed?

It might be a doable goal this year. If not this year, I’m pretty sure we’ll get them done at the latest during next year.

3 Likes

What do you think about using open ai to speed up the workflow?

Sure, here’s an example of how you could extract the repeated code into a separate method:

open ai made this when i asked it to optimize Program.cs

private static void HandleCommonOptions(OptionsBase options)
{
    CommandLineHelpers.HandleDefaultOptions(options);
    ColourConsole.WriteDebugLine($"Running {options.GetType().Name} tool");
}

You can call this method in each method before the actual implementation, like this:

private static int RunChecks(CheckOptions options)
{
    HandleCommonOptions(options);

// rest of the implementation
}

Here’s an example of how you could extract the common code in the mapResult method into a separate method:

private static int RunTask(Func<OptionsBase, Task<bool>> task, OptionsBase options)
{
    HandleCommonOptions(options);

var tokenSource = ConsoleHelpers.CreateSimpleConsoleCancellationSource();

return task(options).Result ? 0 : 1;
}

You can call this method in the mapResult method like this:

.MapResult(
                (CheckOptions options) => RunTask(RunChecks, options),
                (TestOptions options) => RunTask(RunTests, options),
                (ChangesOptions options) => RunTask(RunChangesFinding, options),
                (LocalizationOptions options) => RunTask(RunLocalization, options),
                (CleanupOptions options) => RunTask(RunCleanup, options),
                (PackageOptions options) => RunTask(RunPackage, options),
                (UploadOptions options) => RunTask(RunUpload, options),
                (ContainerOptions options) => RunTask(RunContainer, options),
                (SteamOptions options) => RunTask(SetSteamOptions, options),
                (GodotTemplateOptions options) => RunTask(RunTemplateInstall, options),
                (TranslationProgressOptions options) => RunTask(RunTranslationProgress, options),
                (CreditsOptions options) => RunTask(RunCreditsUpdate, options),
                CommandLineHelpers.PrintCommandLineErrors);

Please note that this is a sample implementation and you may need to adjust the code to suit your specific needs.

1 Like

That’s the main gripe, really. How would it be actually used? At least something like Github Co-Pilot is integrated to IDEs. Copy-pasting things to different places to have the AI do a trivial code manipulation, doesn’t seem like a productivity improvement to me. Of course anyone writing code is free to use tools that help them, but I just don’t see how in its current form the AI would actually help, because you need to anyway check over the code to make sure the AI didn’t do a dumb mistake and the AI is very unlikely to be aware of the entire Thrive source code so it can only work on small snippets, which is not the hardest part of software development (the hardest part is working on a huge codebase and fitting new code in there or making changes).

3 Likes

Since 0.6.x will have an organelle upgrade update(s) what upgrades you have planned for it?
Also another question will there be a way in macroscopic editor to know the aero(water?)dynamics and buoyancy of players creature?

Firstly, please do not double post, edit your previous post instead. Secondly, there’s some ideas floating around. For 0.6.1 in addition to the current organelle upgrades in the game, cilia will have one upgrade option.

2 Likes

Why hasn’t anyone told me that there was progress on the multicell stage? Or was it removed? Was the movement from the macroscopic stage removed?
Source:

What do you think the GUI of macroscopic stage will look like?

Will the Auto-Evo also be able to utilize organelle upgrades?

It was not removed, macroscopic stage prototype still has movement (unless some bug broke it, but removing it was definitely not intentional).

Yes, but as with most auto-evo things there just haven’t been anyone willing to program the feature:

Issue open since January 2022.

4 Likes

It’s intresting that every update there is atleast a small update on the prototype,