Quick Question Thread

You know what? The renaissance isn’t even part of the middle ages. It’s the epoch that followed the late middle ages, which defined the end of medieval times. During the dark ages Europe mostly stood still or went crusading in the middle east, religion and church was most important here back then.

Those inventions are mostly based on the renaissance which I agree was way more important than the dark ages when it comes to science. Whithout those, I am pretty sure we would still be in the dark ages, but I could be wrong. :wink:

My source: https://www.britannica.com/event/Renaissance

1 Like

…no? Most of these things were still from the middle ages, some just from the very late middle ages (gunpowder, plate armous, etc.) The idea of technology doing nothing in the middle ages was basically renaissance propaganda that has stuck. Another example is how in the middle ages the earth being flat was not even a universally accepted theory, plenty of people thought it was round. (and some people thought it was bowl-shaped for some reason)

3 Likes

ARE YOU SAYING THE EARTH ISN’T A BOWL :crazy_face:

Should one believe Wikipedia, gunpowder wasn’t invented in Europe but instead in China, this is something many scholars believe. They base this on “a large body of evidence that documents the evolution of the gun from the Chinese fire lance to a metal gun and the evolution of gunpowder from a medicine to an incendiary and an explosive, whereas similar records do not exist in Europe.[86]

As the article below can attest, the earliest scriptures about gunpowder are from the 13th century. Gunpowder used by europeans can be tracked back to 1241, according to other sources.

All in all, gunpowder was probably something we imported from China instead of something we can claim to have invented in the first place. While we may started using it during the late middle ages.

1 Like

That’s a good point about gunpowder, but I feel like you’re beating around the bush a little. The point here is that lots of things were invented during the Middle Ages. The idea that nothing of substance had been done during the last millennium is an idea that came about during the Renaissance.

Quite ironic, since it’s the very people that would cause religion’s grip on Europe to weaken, that caused this regression in historical sciences.

3 Likes

I was talking more about gunpowder-based weaponry (cannons, grenades, etc.), which were more western inventions.

1 Like

Then again, the cannon is most likely also a Chinese invention, imported by us. I am therefore also willing to guess that the same goes for the grenade. If we can trust Wikipedia, that is.

Could you please give some examples so I get something concrete to work with and possibly debunk? :slightly_smiling_face::thinking:

As it looks now my opinion has survived solely by outsourcing every would be western invention to China. I would appreciate if you could provide me something else. :+1:

I think I already gave you a lot of examples. Try reading this wikipedia page.

3 Likes

So it’s a cultural thing.

In Swedish school we actually don’t count the Renaissance (Start from 14th century here) as part of Middle-Ages but instead as it’s own chapter. This means, since this is an English speaking forum, I have been at fault. Only one side can be correct so I have been wrong because I assumed that history books in Europe said the same things about the period from running from late Middle-Ages to the Renaissance proper.

This changes everything, thank you for this valuable read. :+1:

I have the same experience. In my mind medieval is synonymous with Middle-ages and thus does not include renaissance.

So I’d like to see lists of inventions from the Middle-ages.

2 Likes

I think there may be some confusion over the term “Renaissance of the 12th century”

It’s a different thing from the sort of “main” Renaissance you are talking, quite rightly, about as being after the middle ages.

I think the reason historians started saying there are as many as 3 renaissances in the middle ages is to counter the idea that it was “the Dark Ages” and that nothing happened. There were bursts of cultural and scientific progress in Western Europe. The Kingdom of Andalus was a particularly intellectually fertile area Al-Andalus - Wikipedia

Achievements that advanced Islamic and Western science came from al-Andalus, including major advances in trigonometry (Geber), astronomy (Arzachel), surgery (Abulcasis), pharmacology (Avenzoar),[9] agronomy (Ibn Bassal and Abū l-Khayr al-Ishbīlī),[10] and other fields. Al-Andalus became a major educational center for Europe and the lands around the Mediterranean Sea as well as a conduit for cultural and scientific exchange between the Islamic and Christian worlds

The list above of “Medieval Technologies” is all stuff from the middle ages.

3 Likes

That’s silly. We should stop letting scientists name things.

2 Likes

I think it might be too late :slight_smile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_(disambiguation)

1 Like

How come i haven’t noticed official thrive youtube channels?

Will there be o̻̳̘͚̓̃̄c̳̮͐̾̏t̪̝͉͕̺̦̱̼̅̚a̪̳̖̜̫̥̬ͦ̾ͅh͓͙̠̾̏͛ͬͧe̩̼͔͍̻͎̼̋͐̌͂ͩ̉͆̔d̗̳̦͈͎̝̆ͧ̃̂͛̐̎̎̇ṛ̜͍̫̹̓ͩ́o̱̗̲͓̘̙͖̐͋̀͐͐ṉ̭̞͇̟̥̞̄͑̂̋͆̽̚ ̬͚̘ͨ͊͋ͭ̒ͣ͗̽ṏ̪ͤf̱͇̯̫̹̣͎̎͐ͧ̄ͥ̀͛ ͉͙̘̟͚̲̭̆ͩͯ͐̇̏̿̿ ̪͖̬͋̀̈̓̌̄̄ť̠̖ͧ̆ͯṙ̼̫̍͊ͧ̇̓a͎̫̭͇̫͐ͬͦ̓ͤͭ̑s̖ͤ͛͂͋ͫͤ̓̇c̥͉͚̳͚̫̃̃̑͐̿ͫe̝̣̥͚̯͇̖̜̔͒n͔̺͎̜̞̭̫̎ͦ͑̔ͥ̑͛̓̚d͓̥ͭ̑ͧ̑͂̚ͅa̦̝̱̩̪͂ͯ̃̿ͧ͒̆̈͆n͙̘̯̼̟̬̍̈́ͬͯ͂͗̚c̻ͤ͌̈́ͭ̐̀e̺̭̗̩͊ͬ̏ for ascension?

1 Like

Please refrain from using this format if you wish for people to actually understand the words you’re writing. Not criticizing, just nitpicking.

This was taken from a surreal meme. And thus I used “corrupted” text for a comedic effect.

I am well aware of the meme, but don’t you think including it calls into question the seriousness of your question? I think jokes should stay in joky sentences, while serious questions stay formal and well-crafted.

hey guys i havent played or been here in a while can you tell me are there more stages now