Quick Question Thread

Okay, one question that might be annoying, since I am sure you get it regularly from some source or another, but I am just too curious. After finally getting around to playing the current version of thrive, I was pleasantly surprised with how much it has grown and can actually be considered an entertaining game by now. So I was wondering: How many of the intended features of the microbe stage are already in place, and which vital elements are still missing, until we can be satisfied with the first iteration of the microbe stage and move on to work on the Multicellular stage? I am not asking for the time needed until we can tackle the next stage, since the porting to Godot and fluctuating numbers of active programmers make such predictions difficult, I am just curious about the amount of content that still needs to be implemented until we got ourselves a solid base for the game.

1 Like

The best I can currently say, is that it will be done when it is done. Most of the long term planned features are only planned on a very abstract level. TJWhale was really good at speccing out the next release, but now that he has left, the planning process seems to be a bit of a messā€¦

Thereā€™s some planned features listed here: Future Release Plans - Meta - Thrive Development Forum but that list is currently outdated with some features that were already done, and the plans for 0.4.4 having been scrapped.

1 Like

Do you know how exactly TJWhale coordinated what was going in the next release, and is there a thing thatā€™s holding the team back from replicating it? The community obviously canā€™t see any dev discord chatter, but from what was seeming on the development forum, it seemed he gathered what the rest of the people were saying on the discussion thread, compiled them into a list, perhaps added a bit onto it depending on how available people were, and then development commenced.
Of course, it obviously isnā€™t that easy to coordinate everything, and in no way am I meaning to say ā€œitā€™s not that hardā€. But what is the main obstacle behind trying to replicate that?

What the result was that we was able to really well put together a sensible set of features that will make the game more fun / better. I think he went about that by reflecting the current release and some of the feedback from players to come up with a good list of features with good effort to fun ratio (so features that greatly benefited the game but only needed a little bit of development time).

Turns out that replicating the result without him wasnā€™t very good. See how this release planning thread for the next release after he left went: 0.4.4 Features Discussion Thread - Gameplay - Thrive Development Forum

2 Likes

What is the real time zone in the forums?

The time currently on the server is: ti 31.3.2020 21.46.32 +0200
the last part is the offset from UTC.

Will the player be able to freely use the Organism Editor to create and share organisms outside of the ā€œstandardā€ game simply for creativity and fun, just like in Spore? And will you guys launch a Organism Editor demo detached from the rest of the game as a teaser before you launch the final product like what they did with The Sims 4?

We already have the freebuild editor in the latest version where you can build whatever. Though, we are missing the saving and loading feature for creatures. As to the second part of your question, I donā€™t see much point in making a separate organism editor to release. If anything we might (if someone is enthusiastic) include an organism editor as an extra in the game before the stage that uses it is playable.

2 Likes

How currents are going to be shown in the game?
AFAIK Spore uses moving particles to represent currents, and the current backgrounds have some particles.

Vents background

closest thing i get you for an answer is this concept art:

(this may be outdated im not sure)

iā€™d advise searching around the game development forum for a possibly existing better answer.

1 Like

Well, according to the GDD it will be represented by particle effects.

• Water currents. A fluid dynamics simulation will have streams of liquid (usually water) current constantly flowing through the environment and represented by particle effects.

Linking the new GDD in case someone doesnā€™t know itā€™s been updated:

2 Likes

Another question, how is mating going to be visually represented in later stages?

And how about the Mehdikazimā€™s soundtracks? Will they be implemented? Mehdikazim didnā€™t say anithing after the two soundtracks and none have answered him. Is planned to the soundtracks be implemented?

I donā€™t know / remember about such a soundtrack. @Oliveriver might know. Anyway heā€™s the one to accept new entries to the official thrive soundtrack.

Is there an estimate of how big the "Thrive world community" is, as people who follow and enjoy the game in the world? 10k or 20k or so?

Will thermoplasts be a thing?

The reason why I am asking is because it is in the microbe editor but currently under debatable features

And if it matters to know I would really like to have thermoplasts because I am planning on making a heat eating species

I think this is the latest consensus: thermoplasts will be added to the game, but they will require you to disable LAWK mode in order to use them.

Okay, and may I ask what lawk mode is?

But okay and thank you

LAWK means ā€œLife as we know itā€.

1 Like